Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I was reading about the belts stripping and what not. Has the new kits come out because if they havent then i dont want to buy the kit and have problems with it right away. And if I do buy it and its the bad version will jr send me the correct kit? Ugh so many issues with both sc and turbo.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Will install this weekend assuming my wife doesn't plan something... :jigglemad

Should be time consuming, but I have tackled bigger projects. I will start Saturday morning, and if needed, finish on Sunday.

Comptech will soon bring to market a CA legal supercharger; another option to consider, though it will cost more than the JRSC. No telling when, or if, Greddy will get the green light.

Consider them all, but ask yourself if you can afford a new engine. A problem with either supercharger is highly likely to leave your engine intact, whereas with a turbo, a problem could easily destroy your engine (search the posts in the boost section). Even ECIgirl's locked up JRSC didn't kill her engine.

At a certain point, high horsepower numbers will: A) cost a lot. B) might be impractical (think traction). C) significantly shorten the life of your engine. None, or some of this may or may not be an issue for you. Just know what you are really getting into with any of these, and choose with knowledge, not because of neat sounds.

AJ

·
Registered
407 Posts
k20aSwap said:
I was reading about the belts stripping and what not. Has the new kits come out because if they havent then i dont want to buy the kit and have problems with it right away. And if I do buy it and its the bad version will jr send me the correct kit? Ugh so many issues with both sc and turbo.
Minor issue, really, and one that JR is addressing. AlphaSSmale's thread answers these questions.

One or two of the turbo'd RSX's have caught fire. Granted, these were probably installation errors, but go back to my comments about simplicity with the superchargers. Some have had over-boost engine fatalities, others have run lean and died. Now these are issues, expensive ones, but they are getting better (guardian, etc.).

For you, the Californian, it boils down to a simple question: legal or non-legal boost?

AJ

·
DC5 to AP2
2,421 Posts
SLQ03RSX said:
hate to break it to ya but there is no "legal" turbo kit, i dont even think theres a legal sc kit, the jr street version might be but i doubt it...
The JRSC street version is CARB approved.

Why else would they bother with a street version at the same boost level?

·
Registered
415 Posts
Screw the cop man :thumbsup: Get The Cybernation Stage 1 Turbo Kit W/ Guardian..then u dont have to worry about blowing your engine because guardian self tunes and protects your engine and if it suspects ur engine is gonna blow it will cut u off....the kit comes with everything u need and should net u around 307whp on 8.5 psi of boost but if u get a boost controller you will be able to boost about 10psi daily and 12psi race(thats what im gonna do when i get my type-s)... also i see u have it swapped into a civic i dont think certain kits are gonna fit u should talk to Jackson Racing about the fitment...also you might have to get custom on the intercooler piping and some other stuff but im not sure what...another thing the greddy kit u have to buy an intercooler its not included in the kit but if u go with the cybernation stage 1 it come with everything u need even a BOV...so enjoy any questions you have im sure everyone will be happy to answer them for u

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
yeah man I love the idea of a turbo and all and sure i would love to say screw cops right now. But everyone is laughing untill you get pulled over and get a wonderful ticket. Then its not funny anymore. It happened to me with the turbo I had on my D17. Hell U was so mad I raced my car as hard as i could till I threw a rod through the side of the block. So then I swaped the k20a2 but I dont wanna get a ticket or anything its just a pain and more money thrown away.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Woah! Someone help me out. I just got accepted to ASU! :)! Got a letter in the mail just now. I was thinking, does arizona have smog laws? If not im thinking of going turbo because I am moving down there at the end of the year. And im sure I could keep cops at bay for a year. Or do you think I should stick with the sc and stay legal here in cali.

·
Registered
407 Posts
k20aSwap said:
Woah! Someone help me out. I just got accepted to ASU! :)! Got a letter in the mail just now. I was thinking, does arizona have smog laws? If not im thinking of going turbo because I am moving down there at the end of the year. And im sure I could keep cops at bay for a year. Or do you think I should stick with the sc and stay legal here in cali.
Congratulations! :thumbsup:

Hit up the Arizona government websites for smog info.

I gotta remind you that turbos have killed K20 motors, not even one with a JRSC.

For BIG power, you need a turbo. You should know by now that big power brings added expenses: clutches, LSD, etc, etc, etc.

AJ

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Thanks for your interest in GReddy Products
Currently this turbo kit does not have a CARB E.O. to making it 50 state
street legal.
Although the turbo kit should pass all smog sniffer test. This is because
it still utilizes all the factory emission related hardware. We are
currently looking into having our kits tested for a CARB E.O. number.
Please keep in touch further updates.
--
GReddy Performance Products, Inc.
9 Vanderbilt
Irvine, CA 92618
www.greddy.com

I recived this in my email today. They say that it will pass the sniffer test. So I should be good as long as i dont have to pop my hood. And I can get by cops pretty easy.

·
Registered
407 Posts
k20aSwap said:
Thanks for your interest in GReddy Products
Currently this turbo kit does not have a CARB E.O. to making it 50 state
street legal.
Although the turbo kit should pass all smog sniffer test. This is because
it still utilizes all the factory emission related hardware. We are
currently looking into having our kits tested for a CARB E.O. number.
Please keep in touch further updates.
--
GReddy Performance Products, Inc.
9 Vanderbilt
Irvine, CA 92618
www.greddy.com

I recived this in my email today. They say that it will pass the sniffer test. So I should be good as long as i dont have to pop my hood. And I can get by cops pretty easy.
Wrong. Part of the smog check here in California is the "visual inspection" where the smog tech looks to see if all federally mandated emisions equipment is present, and also looks for parts that are not CARB exempted. If the smog guy cares about avoiding a really steep fine and a loss of his license, he will fail you on the visual portion of the test.

Like I posted earlier, this is can be very expensive and time consuming if you get caught.

AJ

·
Registered
161 Posts
Assuming the GReddy Kit passes at some... point, do you guys think I would run into any problems in getting my Carb sticker from greddy? Also is there such a thing as sep. carb numbers for intercooler kits, or would the carb number already require me to have a certain intercooler system for me to pass? Ive got about a year left until smog time -_-

·
Registered
161 Posts
haha Ive been waiting for 2 years for my damn kit to pass carb testing...

·
Crab-cakes & Football...
5,511 Posts
chris_lau said:
haha Ive been waiting for 2 years for my damn kit to pass carb testing...
Haha Havent we ALL! ;)

..I wrote an email to GReddy and they said that the kits are no longer legal due to the E-Manage. They said that they WERE legal when they had the original "Blue Box" They also mentioned that FMIC and BOV's are NOT legal. (duh :spin: )

·
Registered
161 Posts
great news ! +_+ oh well i wasnt expecting to be able to pass smog even with a carb legal kit

·
RIP 2/4/2009
4,736 Posts
AJ~ said:
JRSC street kit is currently the only legal form of forced induction for the RSX within the state of California.
Incorrect, the Comptech supercharger in it's base (5psi) form has also been granted a CRAB EO making it the 2nd form of forced induction legal for use on a street vehicle in the state of california.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts