Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 16y/o brother keeps begging to borrow my car. I told him "not no but hell no!"

Would you let a younger family member borrow your car just for shits and giggles?

I kinda feel bad about telling him no, but at the same time I'm afraid of what he might do to it and himself if he were to borrow it.

I have a feeling that as soon as I hand him the keys (very unlikely), he's gonna pick up one of his friends and try to 'show off', i.e. speed down the highway, accelerate hard at every stop light, try to race people, etc. And I'm afraid he's gonna end up misshifting/overreving, or getting a traffic ticket, car accident, etc.

I know the RSX-S isn't much of a performance car, but I still think that it's too much in the hands of a young, inexperienced driver, especially a 16y/o boy that's a bit of a thrill seeker like his older brother.

Does anybody else think this way?

·
Murderator
23,101 Posts
No. My little brother has a dui and a few other things. I actually had to sign paperwork for my insurance company that said I wouldn't let him drive my car and that he isn't covered...

1,493 Posts
the only person that drives my car is my girlfriend, but she drives a manual EP3 every day so I'm not worried about her doing anything dumb, and she knows she not allowed to race anyone with it or redline it

Reactions: smoresrock

·
:lurk:
1,612 Posts
I wouldn't. I remember back in high school, you had to watch out where you park because it seemed like every other day, someone would back up into another car or have a minor fender bender. And that's just in the parking lot! And ya wonder why insurance is through the roof when your young. :dontknow:

·
Expert Troll
25,774 Posts
as much as the interweb calls the rsx slow...its plenty fast to get an inexperianced driver in lots of trouble.

ive let my bro borrow mine..but he is 22..lol...no way if he was 16

course i let him borrow my wheels and his car got totalled...wasnt his fault though..still..

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Nope Never.

I too let my GF drive my car... she only knows her old saturn and my old prelude as far as manual goes... but she does a good job.

I would never let my little brother drive my car... I mean, I don't have one, but if I did, he wouldnt be driving my car. (and mine's not even new)

·
Ehhhh......
9,102 Posts
Depends is he is a good driver or not...he may be a bit of a thrillseeker, but aren't we all...why else did we get the car =D. Yeah, not the fastest on the road, but its sure is great to have on it. Tough call...good luck with it though!

- Reckon

·
Wanna see my war face?
9,528 Posts
helllllllllllllllllllllllllllll no!

·
Wingless FTMFW
553 Posts
Sounds like a bad idea to me. Plus the fact that he continuously asks. Prolly been talkin smack to someone at school, wants to show it off like you said. I don't have a lil brother, but if I did, he wouldn't be driving my S.

1 - 20 of 125 Posts