Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Look fast. Drive slow.
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had some one do my retros for me, and they aren't exactly level.
I've been told by said individual that there is a way to adjust my lights horizontally, and perhaps even rotate them into a level position. Is this true?

Here is a message I received from my retro fitter, along with an image that was attached with the explanation. I'm pretty sure this is just our vertical adjustment though, is it not? If any one with experience working with 05-06 TSX retros please contact me here or via PM.

"Ok on the back of the headlight do you know where the one adjuster is for the height its in the middle of it near the top i believe its an 8mm between the highbeam bowl and the lowbeam bowl and are you able to easily access it while the headlights are on the car or do you need to remove them to be able to get at them. basically that 8mm socket is attached to the picture i previously sent you that shows the slider. basically the headlight on the inside can rotate to a certain extent with that slider piece, if you remove the rubber gromet from around the low beam (not sure if you put it on) and look into that spot you should see it let me know and we can go from there"

I also have this really bizarre issue with with my passenger side beam...

Here are some pictures of my cut off, pretty sad. The driver side slopes down towards the passenger side. And I'm pretty sure the passenger side slopes down toward the driver side, but its hard to tell because the passenger side is so effed up.

I don't really have any good pictures, but this is the best I have of both.
If some one is willing to help me out, I'll be sure to get some better images.

·
Registered
657 Posts
If you play with the adjuster and it never lines up, then they *may* have mounted it [the projector] wrong, you're suppose to mount the lights in the car without the front plastic on to adjust it before putting the plastic piece back on. You can only adjust it up/down I believe, if you play with that and still no luck, then I'm not sure what else you can do.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
on 05-06 i know it can only be adjusted up/ down(not sure about 02-04) and i had similar output from my drivers side projector(tsx) but had to redo it to get it just right...the thing is is that the beam pattern will be f'd if the projector isnt perfect, the slightest bit off and it changes everything...looks like you should get a refund because any1 could just stuck projectors in the housing and had it come out like that

·
Registered
24,670 Posts
there is no rotational adjustment. only up down left right.

he did a poor job. probably didn't test light and align it on the bench.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
That sucks to hear Cirq. I hope you solve your issues out. That cutoff is balls.

I'm glad I took your advice and SayJaiBao's. Now only if Linuxglobal could get back to me sooner

·
Headlight Guy
8,513 Posts
I can translate at least what they where telling you about the adjustment there. When there is weight added to one side of the reflector bowls, like when adding a projector to the low beam area, it can pull the whole thing over slightly to one side. There is a little bit of tolerance in all the plastic mounting points that allows for that to happen. However, turning the adjustment screw may realign a slight 1-2 degree discrepancy, but it won't last past a 2 minute drive until it settles again.
Anyhow, this would give you the opposite misalignment than what you have now so it really does not apply anyway. Its the mounting and rotational alignment of the projectors themselves.

·
Look fast. Drive slow.
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input Todd, your the one I was really hoping to hear from.
Do you have any idea what exactly is causing the beam pattern issue on my passenger side light?
I can probably live with them not being totally level, and I've adjusted them up/down like you and my retrofitter both suggested. As you said though, they've just gone back to non level (not that they ever perfectly where). Is it something to do with the way the passenger side projector was installed, or do you think this looks like a lens problem?

·
Registered
562 Posts
maybe it's an issue with the projector itself? i had the exact same problems as you. shitty cutoff and crooked beams. i realigned my projectors myself but the cutoff itself is still kinda shitty.

·
Headlight Guy
8,513 Posts
Thanks for the input Todd, your the one I was really hoping to hear from.
Do you have any idea what exactly is causing the beam pattern issue on my passenger side light?
I can probably live with them not being totally level, and I've adjusted them up/down like you and my retrofitter both suggested. As you said though, they've just gone back to non level (not that they ever perfectly where). Is it something to do with the way the passenger side projector was installed, or do you think this looks like a lens problem?
With the passenger side, it may be the way the bulb is sitting in the base, so do check that and see if pushing in on it a bit changes the beam pattern at all.

·
Look fast. Drive slow.
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm not sure what brand of HID is being used. Obviously I needed to update to D2S bulbs with the retro, but he sent me 6,000k (which I asked for) in 4,300k Digital packaging. So I honestly have no idea what I've really got.

Next time I have my bumper off I'll try pressing on the bulbs and see if I can see any difference in the beam. Thanks again Todd, hopefully once I get enough info in this thread I can forward him the link in an email and see what he will do for me.

·
Headlight Guy
8,513 Posts
I'm not sure what brand of HID is being used. Obviously I needed to update to D2S bulbs with the retro, but he sent me 6,000k (which I asked for) in 4,300k Digital packaging. So I honestly have no idea what I've really got.

Next time I have my bumper off I'll try pressing on the bulbs and see if I can see any difference in the beam. Thanks again Todd, hopefully once I get enough info in this thread I can forward him the link in an email and see what he will do for me.
Not sure we know who the retrofitter is, but offer our assistance to them if they would like.

·
Look fast. Drive slow.
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
To be totally honest, because no one locally does this. I tired to find some one in Canada that did Retrofitings, in the long run it may have been worth it to spend the +$200 on shipping and have you or one of the other reputable retrofitters in the US do it.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Some 8thgen guys used Linuxglobal but he's really hard to get ahold of. He's done a few rsx as well and I've been trying to get ahold of him for the past month but he's really busy it seems. He charges $300 plus parts but he's local in Toronto and judging by his videos on Youtube, he does some awesome work. On top of that, he's also gotten alot of referrals from HIDPlanet so I'm definitely convinced he's the guy you want to go to if retros need to be done locally.

·
Look fast. Drive slow.
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
After Todd's recommendation to try wiggling the bulb. It made sense that it not sitting in the back of the projector was a possibility for my passenger side beam issue.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts