Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2006, Acura, RSX, Type-S
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

My Rex has this annoying lifter ticking that is from what ive read, quite common. Has anyone here fixed it?

I've read a few 'fixes', one being a valve adjustment and another saying its the cams...I havent taken up the project just yet as I'm nervous being an amateur mechanic and all.

Thanks!
Acura.Black.Rsxs

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
You don't have lifters, this is a good motor, not a backassward GM product. Actually it can be the snap of your fuel injectors. If you haven't checked the valves, there is a linked online manual that will guide you through. The adjustment tool can be had for under $15 on Amazon and correct feeler gauges are pretty cheap as well. The valve clearance gets smaller over time, so you really just need to be above minimal spec. I used to do motorcycles and you had to take it all apart and try different shim sizes, here you just loosen the nut, adjust until the feeler gauge goes through with minimal drag and done. you line up the cams to the rounded part as there is no pressure on the lobes. Hard from here to know exactly what you are hearing, so those are options as well as what you mentioned.

·
Super Moderator
23,794 Posts
I'd definitely start with a valve adjustment. It's highly recommended. It's not difficult but you must pay attention and do it correctly. I've done a lot of them.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Agreed. Generally it's valve lash and injector noise. My car got the valves adjusted at 120k and got noticeably more quiet. After about 60k the ticking started coming back. Still driving like that 15k and going with still good mpg's and power. I'm just waiting to do the adjustment soon this summer.

·
Registered
2006, Acura, RSX, Type-S
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome!--Thanks guys, I'll give it a shot with the adjustment, I just want my Rex to have a nice smooth sounding engine haha

1 - 6 of 6 Posts