Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the greddy kit right now on my car and I am getting a test pipe this week...I was told to get an o2 bung welded into the pipe to get it tuned....would removing the o2 sensor cause the car to go into limp mode?

·
Registered
183 Posts
RsxManJoe said:
I have the greddy kit right now on my car and I am getting a test pipe this week...I was told to get an o2 bung welded into the pipe to get it tuned....would removing the o2 sensor cause the car to go into limp mode?
NO

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
You need the o2 sensors in, a cel from no cat will not produce a limp mode but the ecu needs the first o2 sensor

·
K series tuning liberator
2,524 Posts
you have to keep both o2 sensors....the ecu will not accept only 1(unless you have a o2 sim, which was made for the o2 sensor that the ECU measures catalyst effiency from, the second O2, in the cat). The first sensor is the only sensor that actually tells the ECU what the A/F mixture is, the second one checks to see if the cat is working by reading the A/F to make sure the cat is actually burning up the unused fuel. Which is the cats only purpose. Like i have said before......having the P0420 DTC when runing w/out the cat will cause no harm to the motor and does not effect a/f ratio calculations from the first o2 sensor. Nor does it affect ECU operations, other than normal emissions monitering(which is why the ECU throws the CEL).

I think you are worring too much about the testpipe issue. Just get a OBD II scan tool and be done with it. :)

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
teamxrsx said:
you have to keep both o2 sensors....the ecu will not accept only 1(unless you have a o2 sim, which was made for the o2 sensor that the ECU measures catalyst effiency from, the second O2, in the cat). The first sensor is the only sensor that actually tells the ECU what the A/F mixture is, the second one checks to see if the cat is working by reading the A/F to make sure the cat is actually burning up the unused fuel. Which is the cats only purpose. Like i have said before......having the P0420 DTC when runing w/out the cat will cause no harm to the motor and does not effect a/f ratio calculations from the first o2 sensor. Nor does it affect ECU operations, other than normal emissions monitering(which is why the ECU throws the CEL).

I think you are worring too much about the testpipe issue. Just get a OBD II scan tool and be done with it. :)
Im keeping the o2 sensors i just need to know can the car be tuned without one of them in place? so as long as limp mode doesnt set in i can just stick a wideband in place of the stock sensor and tune from there

·
Teamxxxracing.com
213 Posts
rsxmanjoe i have the test pipe for about 1 month and i have 0 problems.
my cat blow out. so i replace it whit the test pipe and i DONT have codes on my ecu.
the pipe is excellent for turbo application.

·
2,524 Posts
according to Hondata, your stock O2S is a wideband sensor. It reads 10.5:1-30:1 A/F ratios. Why take any O2 sensor out other than to replace it with another better sensor maybe...but for that reason only. you cannot eliminate any of the O2 sensors at all unless you get a sim.

I'm just tryin' to keep you from wasting your money, you can do as you wish.

You can tune for anything as long as the O2 sensor is in good shape and in place.

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
teamxrsx said:
according to Hondata, your stock O2S is a wideband sensor. It reads 10.5:1-30:1 A/F ratios. Why take any O2 sensor out other than to replace it with another better sensor maybe...but for that reason only. you cannot eliminate any of the O2 sensors at all unless you get a sim.

I'm just tryin' to keep you from wasting your money, you can do as you wish.

You can tune for anything as long as the O2 sensor is in good shape and in place.

What would an ideal af ratio be?

·
2,524 Posts
depends on the RPM and throttle...but at wide open throttle 10-12:1 the lower the number the richer the ratio.

·
Registered
9,936 Posts
RsxManJoe said:
What would an ideal af ratio be?
Weren't you the one who said you run a 14.1:1 A/F in your turbo RSX?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts