Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
I DONT OWN AN RSX ANYMORE
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so yesterday I let my dad use my car for an errand he had to do in the morning, to repay me he filled my tank. So today I'm driving him to the airport and my car throws a cel. I ask him if he tightened the gas cap and of course he says no, so I stop and tighten it 3 clicks thinking this will fix my cel. Drop him off and on the way home my cars still throwing the cel and now it decided to go into limp mode, I cant rev past 4k. I'm taking the car to acura tomorrow but I just want to know what the hell made it go into limp mode if it was just from an untightened gas cap? Also do you guys think theyll try to pull anything because I have a DIY painted oem valve cover, just out of curiousity. Let me know what you think also if you know of any way I can fix it myself. Thanks.

·
yup
7,574 Posts
weird, go get the code pulled at autozone or something... should be free to do it yourself

hopefully it's no big deal since you don't have any mods

·
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea he put 87 in, hes a cheap ass when it comes to cars so he'd put 87 in it if I had an S. Taking it to Acura later this afternoon to see whats up. My advisor acted like it was my tranny so we'll see. I personally think the ECU is freaking out because the gas cap wasnt tightened but I've reset the ECU twice now and it keeps throwing that code even though the cap is tightened now. WHo knows, mabye I'll get more free shit under my warranty.

·
Breast inspector by appt.
9,245 Posts
Evap code for a loose gas cap will not put your car into safe mode. You have a bigger problem, either some emissions or fuel/ignition part has crapped out or is sending erroneous info to the ECU, or your ECU has had a crap.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Yeah man let the car diagnose itself... Go get the code read and research it... Hell post it here once you get it and we can tell you if it sounds like something you can DIY... Yes, you may end up going to Acura after all but don't you want to at least TRY to do it yourself?

·
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Turns out the VTEC solenoid had a short in it, Acura replaced it under warranty. Weird though, I thought the K20A3 vtec cut in at like 2200 rpms not 4000? Why did it let me rev to 4000 and not above, any ideas?

·
VW's are a pain
1,336 Posts
This is somewhat unrelated, but I was thinking my car is in safe mode or "limp mode" as well. My car is reving fully, but Vtec is not engaging. The car feels noticeably slower throughout the entire rpm range. Idle is norma. Car starts normally. CEL is on, so I know I should get the code read. But, do these syptoms sound like limp mode?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts