Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

221 - 240 of 1542 Posts

·
Expert Troll
25,774 Posts
I need some help please:

Wheels: 18x7.5 +40

I know the ideal offset is +42 or +43 but, unfortunately, the wheel I plan on getting comes only in +20 to +40 mm offset.

I am also dropped on Progress springs. Will I fit a 225/40/18 without rubbing? Will it look right?

Thanks.

this is answered in the first post:

18X7.5: +38 to +48. Tire sizes: 205/40-18 to 225/40-18. (ideal offset is +42 or +43)

·
Registered
539 Posts
What does ideal offset mean? is this about as low as you can go without having to adjust for huge camber or rolling your fender?

18X7.5: +38 to +48. Tire sizes: 205/40-18 to 225/40-18. (ideal offset is +42 or +43)

I'm planning on some wheels...18x7.5 +43 with 215 or 225/40/18.

·
U mad bro?
1,034,606 Posts
I just bought some 05 Type S rims (17x7) and plan on putting some bf goodrich gforce sports on them.

from what ive read, the ideal tire size is 225/45/17 correct? im going to be dropped about 1.5" or maybe a bit more and want to make sure this tire size wont create a problem.

also, would anyone suggest wheel spacers to make the rim line up more with the fender well or will this cause rubbing?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Excellent post with great info! Very Very helpfull.

·
U mad bro?
1,034,606 Posts
I just bought some 05 Type S rims (17x7) and plan on putting some bf goodrich gforce sports on them.

from what ive read, the ideal tire size is 225/45/17 correct? im going to be dropped about 1.5" or maybe a bit more and want to make sure this tire size wont create a problem.

also, would anyone suggest wheel spacers to make the rim line up more with the fender well or will this cause rubbing?
???

·
These Colors Might Run
3,668 Posts
What does ideal offset mean? is this about as low as you can go without having to adjust for huge camber or rolling your fender?

I'm planning on some wheels...18x7.5 +43 with 215 or 225/40/18.
Ideal offset is the stock offset, which is +45. This is because when you use that offset, the suspension is most efficient and the tire contact patch is the most consistent. I have a thread that describes these basic ideas.

hey, im new to buying wheels for my car, im looking at 18x8 +45. im dropped on tein-ss. this sound right?
yeah, depending on how low you're dropped. Keep in mind, the tires rub, not the wheels, so make sure you get the correct tire size for your drop and alignment.

To try to answer the next obvious question ("okay, so what tire will work?"): you can go as large as 245's, but if you're dropped very low I wouldn't go any bigger than 235's.

225/45/17 is a very good size for the stock wheels. If you really want to be sure you could always just stick to the stock tire size and you will have zero problems. That extra 10mm isn't doing anything really anyways.

i don't recommend using a wheel spacer just to push out the wheels to make it look cool. Nobody will really notice and it hurts performance on the limit.

·
©© Just Enjoy This Shit
13,394 Posts
yeah, depending on how low you're dropped. Keep in mind, the tires rub, not the wheels, so make sure you get the correct tire size for your drop and alignment.

To try to answer the next obvious question ("okay, so what tire will work?"): you can go as large as 245's, but if you're dropped very low I wouldn't go any bigger than 235's.
thanks. im planning on getting 225/235 whne it comes to tires. as far as my drop is concern, i have adjustable coilovers so i dont think ill have any issues. correct me if im wrong.

thanks for the reply. i really appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
3,085 Posts
If 19X8: +35 to +47 235/35-19 fits without rubbing or needing rolled fenders, logic would say that 18x8 +45 235/40-18 would fit as well since the radius and width are the same. Does my logic make sense or am I crazy?

I'm looking at upgrading my stock Type-S wheels to 18's and I don't want to sacrifice any sidewall. I'm dropped 1.4" on Mugen SS, so I'm thinking that won't be an issue.

·
U mad bro?
1,034,606 Posts
225/45/17 is a very good size for the stock wheels. If you really want to be sure you could always just stick to the stock tire size and you will have zero problems. That extra 10mm isn't doing anything really anyways.

i don't recommend using a wheel spacer just to push out the wheels to make it look cool. Nobody will really notice and it hurts performance on the limit.
alright thanks! would 235/45/17 work as well with no rubbing?

i really like the look of wide tires, but i dont wanna have rubbing issues if im lowered

·
U mad bro?
1,034,606 Posts
alright thanks! would 235/45/17 work as well with no rubbing?

i really like the look of wide tires, but i dont wanna have rubbing issues if im lowered
???
wheel spacers improve performance...they are just harder on the hubs
harder on the hubs as in they wont last a year or :confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Premium Member
3,085 Posts
If 19X8: +35 to +47 235/35-19 fits without rubbing or needing rolled fenders, logic would say that 18x8 +45 235/40-18 would fit as well since the radius and width are the same. Does my logic make sense or am I crazy?

I'm looking at upgrading my stock Type-S wheels to 18's and I don't want to sacrifice any sidewall. I'm dropped 1.4" on Mugen SS, so I'm thinking that won't be an issue.
Any input? Probably just easiest to take some measurements, new setup would be .8 inches wider and .4in bigger in diameter...

·
These Colors Might Run
3,668 Posts
thanks. im planning on getting 225/235 whne it comes to tires. as far as my drop is concern, i have adjustable coilovers so i dont think ill have any issues. correct me if im wrong.

thanks for the reply. i really appreciate it.
no problem.

if you're getting 225's or 235's, you should have narrower wheels. There's no reason to get 8.5" wheels if you're getting such small tires. 8.5" rims work best with 255 tires, and those bitches are wide.

221 - 240 of 1542 Posts