341 Posts
If it's a JRSC:

1. Cheaper
2. More reliable
3. Less maintenance needed
4. No need for turbo timer
5. Low end torque
6. Stock-like powerband
7. No need to throw out aftermarket intake and header(intake might need modification)

·
Registered
9,936 Posts
Simple installation if the kit was designed well. You don't need to worry about the exhaust manifold.

probably cheaper as a kit.

But, the SC will limit your total potential power output, if you want more tunnability better to go turbo.

G

·
Keep in mind, this is IMO.
<Flame suit on>

I hated my JRSC on my Civic SI. For these reasons:

1. Detonated like a mofo. Detonation = BAD :jigglemad
2. Improvement in low end torque was WORSE than my turbo Civic EX. Note: EX has less torque to begin with.
3. Cost was higher. In my case the JRSC + fuel pump had a higher MSRP than the GReddy turbo kit.
4. HP gain was a friggin joke. With the JRSC, AEM CAI, 3" Thermal exhaust and DC Sports header, I was running 15's :jigglemad (This was at mile high altitude, however. At sea level I would have run mid-14's. Still, a joke. The turbo EX was running high 13's at sea level.)
5. Installation was actually harder. A well built turbo kit is much easier, with the exception of the oil return hole in the oil pan. The JRSC install took longer and puts you in weird positions to tighten some of the bolts. Plus, you must be careful rerouting the water lines. One of mine was cut by the manifold within two weeks. Very messy.

This was just my $.02, but I believe every strength of the JRSC can be countered with a quality turbo kit.

1. Low end torque - the correct turbo kit can do this. Just don't get too big of a turbo :)
2. I can't think of any others...

Well, good luck with your choice, just wanted to let you know what I thought having owned a JRSC Civic and a GReddy turbo Civic.

Peace.

·
Registered
979 Posts
super charger is ok. BUT turbo is better performance wise if done right. U can control boost better hp gains. Kick ass blow off noise. the only thing is u need to take care of ur turbo let it be ur baby if u do u will have a sweet car that runs fast just my .02

·
Registered
153 Posts
I would almost say its cheaper to hit 13's in an rsx type s to go N/A.

i/h/e/p VAFC....cams maybe...cam gears and tuning.

tires/ suspension and learn how to drive

you should be sitting very well in road racing and 1/4 mile times. if you go turbo your gas milage will go to shit!!!!!

I am talking 15MPG. thats thousands more in gas for the life of the car:) plus you will have sooo much more wear and tear on the engine itself from all the heat it builds jamming in air like that.

PV = RT

G

·
15 MPG?!! with a turbo in the RSX-S? nah....i will say around 20-22, cuz my Talon running 18 lbs street trim gets around 19MPG.

·
Registered
9,936 Posts
RSXtreme-S said:
15 MPG?!! with a turbo in the RSX-S? nah....i will say around 20-22, cuz my Talon running 18 lbs street trim gets around 19MPG.
Higher compression will require more fuel, your talon had a much lower compression ratio.

·
Ex rsx vs all *********
5,329 Posts
Aaron97SH said:
If it's a JRSC:

1. Cheaper
2. More reliable
3. Less maintenance needed
4. No need for turbo timer
5. Low end torque
6. Stock-like powerband
7. No need to throw out aftermarket intake and header(intake might need modification)
:thumbsup:

G

·
The Tinkerer said:
but a turbo should not effect you mpg that much
au contrair,

think about it, whats the purpose of forced induction of any kind? to compress the air so more of it can fit in a combustion chamber. Now a whole buncha air, and the same amount of fuel isnt gonna cut it, so you add fuel to match the air for a complete combustion. now when you dump more fuel in a combustion chamber per engine revolution, do you think the miles per gallon is gonna go up, stay the same, or go down. Yes thats right, when you add more fuel your gas mileage goes DOWN. A large fuel pump, and in alot of cases additional or larger injectors is a dead give away youre using more fuel.

-sp

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I was thinking about getting a JRSC for my Type S when it comes out this summer, but I had no idea there was detonation issues and stuff like that. (Thats why I was shying away from a turbo, was for this reason.) All in all, I am wondering if I should just go with I/H/E, and run a 40 shot of nitrous. I should be running 13's easy. Anybody else agree. I am at the most a novice in racing, as I have yet to go to the track with my baby, but I want to mod my car smart and not waste money and hurt my engine at the same time. Is NOS bad for the car if properly jetted? I might just go with I/H/E and call it a day, as far as performance goes. I just don't want to ruin the engine by adding a turbo or supercharger or nitrous.

G

·
hey guys, wat is the differnent between supercharger and turbo??????????? which would last longer?? i heard supercharger would last longer for the engine, is that right??????????

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
scorpioboy said:
hey guys, wat is the differnent between supercharger and turbo??????????? which would last longer?? i heard supercharger would last longer for the engine, is that right??????????
You have just opened up a whole new can of worms. A Supercharger is driven by a belt, like an alternator would. A turbo uses exhaust flow to spool up. Those are facts. You are going to get mixed opinions on which one is better. I really don't know which one is better. A turbo, from what I have read, requires a lot more tuning and adjustment, where as a supercharger is usually requires less maintenance, but a turbo, if tuned right, theoretically will give you better power gains. I'm going to stop there and let others jump in on this that know more on the subject than I do.....PEACE!!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
that's what i want, a v6.

so whats a s/c going to cost me? Im talking about kits.

Any other parts im going to want or need to keep my engine safe? I have an auto does that require any parts (other than torque converter)?

i'm not going to be racing or anything so i will be running low boost. Do they make smaller s/c's for the purpose of not running tons of boost? Where do i find those?

Any thing else i should know?

thanks

G

·
cujo799 said:
that's what i want, a v6.

so whats a s/c going to cost me? Im talking about kits.

Any other parts im going to want or need to keep my engine safe? I have an auto does that require any parts (other than torque converter)?

i'm not going to be racing or anything so i will be running low boost. Do they make smaller s/c's for the purpose of not running tons of boost? Where do i find those?

Any thing else i should know?

thanks
You can run a blow off valve on your SC to adjust the amount of boost you want to run.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.