Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
ptracy26 said:

You can run a blow off valve on your SC to adjust the amount of boost you want to run.
That's very pointless with most superchargers.

A JRSC will run 6 psi which is not a ton of boost. They offer pulley upgrades that will push 8 psi.

Cujo-
A JRSC will run around $3K, figure around $500(varies by car and shop of course) for the install. JRSC is a Jackson Racing supercharger. They don't sell kits that are dangerous. So you could just get the kit installed and be on your way. We'll all have to wait to see about detonation on the S, but the base RSX will not have that problem due to the 9.8:1 comp. ratio(vs. 11.0:1 for the S). If detonation is a problem there are a couple of things you can do to make the engine operate safer. Among those are: lower compression pistons, water injection kits(sold by JR), J&S safegaurd(I don't know if it will work with VTC), along with proper tunning (standalone ECU or fuel controller)which is always good even if there is no detonation.

G

·
Aaron97SH said:
If it's a JRSC:

1. Cheaper
2. More reliable
3. Less maintenance needed
4. No need for turbo timer
5. Low end torque
6. Stock-like powerband
7. No need to throw out aftermarket intake and header(intake might need modification)

1, Cheaper ?? Not Really jackson racing prices are above 3500 now.

2, More reliable? There are lots of jackson racing people havin fuel problems with car hanging up and lots of detonation.

3, Less Maintenance? This kit was supposed to be maintenance free what a joke that turned out to be. My buddy has gone through 2 FMUS and a Map Sensor that went bad.

4, No need for turbo Timer? lol its a 80 bucks dude. Its a good way of warming up your car in morning. Without worrying about someone jackin ur car from your driveway.

5, Low end torque well thats one thing ur right about it gets allot of its torque at low end but sucks nuts at the top end Jackson racing is a joke compared to turbo kits or the Vortech Blower.

Just my .02

Arin

G

·
please see turbo vs SC thread in this forum....

in addition to the tq of a JRSC.....that lack of extreme torque comes from an anemic compressor. the tq you put out is relation to the size of the compressing unit nothing more.

ok and with the turbo timer thing, im tired of seeing this. if someone happens to notice you leaving your car running for the 2min or LESS on the timer and run over to it, and manage to break into it before the timer cuts out, how far are they going to go? out of the parking space? the thing is still gonna shut it down unless they can rip the unit out. and if they are that smart they could have stolen your car anyways!

G

·
SW20GT-S said:
please see turbo vs SC thread in this forum....

ok and with the turbo timer thing, im tired of seeing this. if someone happens to notice you leaving your car running for the 2min or LESS on the timer and run over to it, and manage to break into it before the timer cuts out, how far are they going to go? out of the parking space? the thing is still gonna shut it down unless they can rip the unit out. and if they are that smart they could have stolen your car anyways!

Car Shuts off once the hand brake is released so no worries in someone taking the car.

Arin

·
Registered
465 Posts
What's funny is that JRSC DC2 Integras that are making 230'ish whp put down the same ET's and trap speeds as all-motor DC2's making 20-30hp less consistantly. I still don't know why people would opt for a supercharger over a turbocharger. I'm glad that they do though -- I don't want any competition :)

G

·
scorpioboy said:
hey guys, wat is the differnent between supercharger and turbo??????????? which would last longer?? i heard supercharger would last longer for the engine, is that right??????????

Supercharging is more for V6's and V8's b/c they can't last that long on forced induction with turbos.

That's why V4's are mostly turbo charged. They can take the abuse better and are more reliable.

Supercharger takes the air from the air filter and makes the belt spin twice as fast as the engine to give it more power.

Turbo uses the exhaust to spool the turbo fins which forces the air from the exhaust with more air from the intake back into the engine.

·
vwls r fr psss
482 Posts
rsxracer02s said:
Supercharging is more for V6's and V8's b/c they can't last that long on forced induction with turbos.

That's why V4's are mostly turbo charged. They can take the abuse better and are more reliable.

Supercharger takes the air from the air filter and makes the belt spin twice as fast as the engine to give it more power.

Turbo uses the exhaust to spool the turbo fins which forces the air from the exhaust with more air from the intake back into the engine.
V4's, huh?

And turbo's do not send any amount of exhaust back into the engine.

I won't even bother with the rest.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
V4? Heh. What's a V4? I've heard of an H4 and then there is the common I4. But V4? Who makes that block?

G

·
rsxracer02s said:

Your a little off there buddy.

Superchargers don't make the belt spin twice as fast to give the engine more power.
It uses the belt to spin gears in the supercharger which in-turn force the air into the engine causing it to get boost.

Turbos do use the exhaust to spin fins, but those fins in-turn spin a different set of fins which force air into the engine causing it to boost.
The air that goes into the engine , is air from your air filter, NOT exhaust gases.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Isn't the A'PEXi IHI RX-6 BB Turbocharger Assembly for RSX in Club rsx $2200 or something?

G

·
back to the subject. turbo's and superchargers both have there perk's. but keep this in mind. motor's that are manufactured to be turbocharged such as the 4g63 are designed with different more friendly coolant systems such as more coolant passages around the exhaust ports, oil cooler's and such. honda's are not and with such arent as tolerant to extreme temperatures, especialy exhaust temperatures. this doesnt mean u cannot turbo the car. as obviously u can, but it does mean are cars will be more reliable with other forms of forced induction (supercharging). now superchargers arent as efficient as turbo's, this is true but the new eaton blowers used in most superchargers is pretty damn close. and while jrsc may have there problems from time to time. so do these turbo kits and usualy with more costly repairs. remember people our cars werent meant for forced induction and do not have fuel maps programed with boosted conditions in mind. so no matter which compressor u decide to use. tunning is the key.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.