Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I mentioned in a previous post, I went to an auto customization place. I also called up another one. I want to get my windows tinted (only the rear 3 so that I don't get harassed by cops and DMV for having the front sides tinted). One shop uses Solar Guard tint paper; the other uses Llumar.

Is there an advantage of one over the other? Both shops said there is a lifetime warranty on the the paper and labor, as long as the paper isn't abused. FYI, my car is desert silver, so I'm pretty much convinced to use a charcoal-colored paper that only passes 20-30% of the light. It looked nice on display. Limo black (5%) is too dark for me and would be hard to see out at night.

So should I go Llumar or Sun Guard, or demand something better? Both shops' prices are competitive ($140-$145 + tax) and use 1 piece for the rear window. Thanks. :thumbsup:

M

·
0 Posts
I used Sun Guard on my Altima.. there are all kinds of black splotches and shit up on top of the windows now, and it bubbled up some at one point.

I doubt I'll use it again..

·
Registered
407 Posts
go for 3m. thats what i have nice neutral tint, with no greenish or purplelish tinge i've seen on other cars.

late

·
i'm always right
3,831 Posts
haha 3m doesn't come with the lifetime warranty that lumar does.

get lumar. i'm 20percent in the back 3 windows and 35% on the front 2. this is already below the legal marker but i haven't been pulled yet for it. car looks pretty damn good also. i wouldn't have used 3m for the life of me. turns purple after about 2 years and does't have nearly as much heat deflection as lumar does and on a black interior that's what mattters a lot.

·
Registered
407 Posts
uh... riiight. a friend of mine has had the same tint for over four years on his gti (same shop and 3m tint), no hint of purple yet.:rolleyes: and i do have a lifetime warranty on labor and tint.:dontknow:

late

·
Registered
169 Posts
I just got my windows tinted about a month ago. I went with llumar because I've heard it's the best out there. Like I've said, it's been about a month now and only time will tell if the tint holds up and yes, I have a life-time warranty.

I have 20% all the way around except for the front of course and a 5% tint strip on my front window. It looks totally sharp now. It's amazing how tinting your window changes the car personality so much.

Go with llumar. That's my .02 on the subject. Good luck.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So Llumar it is!

Thanks for all your input. I'm pretty much convinced to go w/ Llumar. Now the only other thing I'm debating is to have them vinyl the dot matrix or hope that the tinting paper sticks. :nervous: At least the shop offers a lifetime warranty, so if I'm not happy w/ the result, I'll ask them to redo the rear window.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Cover the matrix dots up, In all likelyhood the tint wont stick...

The place I had mine tinted at used a thick tape like vinyl... Looks sharp IMHO.

-dB

·
Registered
430 Posts
Decibel, do you have a pic of your rear window w/ the thick vinyl like tape?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Decibel said:
Cover the matrix dots up, In all likelyhood the tint wont stick...
Tint installers who know what they're doing do get the tint to stick to the dot matrix. See:

Tinting the dot matrix

·
Registered
169 Posts
I agree with nahikian. Like I've said before, I got mine done using llumar... I didn't need any extra vinyl to stick to the dots. The guy that did mine did an excellent job. It cost me $170 but it was all worth it.

To be on the safe side, put on the vinyl first if you don't know how good the person that's installing the tint on your ride.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts