Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok this is the car...

http://www.siteskins.net/drivethedream/

Now the main things I need to know are...

1. How much maintinence would this car need regularly?
2. Would it be good as a daily driver?
3. Will it be reliable?
4. Could I use this as an only car without having to worry about problems.

The first things I would do to the car would be finish whatever he has yet to finish, the tranny and tire/wheel package.

Then get a MBC, I/H/E and then would head over to somthing like a ball bearing turbo.

Now how many more miles will this last me and is that engine rebuild reliable?

Can I be sure this car will be a nice car to own and drive.

What kind of reputation do these cars have in these areas.

Thank you very much.

G

·
My advice would be to find an MR-2 forum and ask around there. Stock, they are very nice, very reliable cars. Not sure how big a turbo he put on it so I can't really say if it would have lots of lag (bad daily driver) of quick response (good daily driver). Like most cars though, there are probably a few things that have their weaknesses and need to be looked at before a purchase. That's why you need to either post this on an MR-2 board and find someone who knows a lot about MR-2's and ask them what to look for.

Jason

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I talked to him about this earlier, and we did think a mr2 forum would be good, but neither of us knew of any. I suggested that import forum that does all cars, but its only got 3 posts in the mr2 section... if any of you know of another forum for the mr2, please post it up here. Im sure he will want to know about it.

·
Retired
13,573 Posts
1) Since it was just rebuilt, prolly just oil changes and things like that. It has relatively low mileage.

2) If you need to haul anything more than a small bag and one other person, then it will not make a good daily driver.

3) If the rebuild was done right, it should be great! Might need a new turbo eventually tho... if it wasn't replaced with the rebuild.

4) You can never have a worry-free car, new or used.

In all, I believe the MR2 is a great second car. Summer, weekend car... but I wouldn't make it a daily driver.

·
Registered
9,936 Posts
If it was recently rebuilt, why is it being sold off????

I think a good thing to do is this:

Get a friend to go with you, and first drive the car like it's your baby, and then ask HIM/HER to drive the car as hard as possible. Have you buddy follow you in the rear looking for things not normally noticed like smoke under acceleration, is the axle bearing shot(wheel whobble), maybe it has bad shocks(wheel bouncing) or just about anything another car could notice from the outside, including mechanical noises.

Once that's OK, you take over the wheel and drive it hard yourself. If he doesn't want to push it hard, then he has no faith in his car, and at that point you either walk away or negotiate for lower price as a fixer upper.

A Toyota is going to be reliable, and the MR2 is no different. If the block was done correctly, it should be good for another 50K miles without any problems. Get details on the rebuilt, like how much overbore was done, what kind of rings it used, get detailed specs if possible. Get invoices of all service records if he keeps them. Also check out the LSD to see if it is still working properly. If it has a VLSD, it might be worn out, and that is always a good indicator of how aggressive the driver was with the car, or how well he took care of it.

I would totally drive a MR2 as a daily driver, if it is in a good enough shape. There is nothing more annoying then driving a car that does drive smoothly.

Good luck

·
Registered
223 Posts
The only other point to consider is if you will need to drive it in snow. I used to live in Minnesota and I knew about 10 people who had MR2's. Some were turbo, some NA, some modified. Out of these 10 cars, 4 were owned by very good drivers. The rest were average drivers.

Not one of these 10 people managed to avoid an accident in snow/ice conditions within 2 winters. Only 3 of them (3 out of the 4 good drivers) got through their first winter.

I drove one of the NA's and one of the turbos in the snow and was not suprised at how bad they were in harsh weather. If you are going to drive it in winter, I hope you are a very, very good and experienced winter driver.

Be safe!

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I live in the DC area so not too much snow. If there is I will avoid driving in snow, I usually do.

Thanks for all the advice, I will try and post this at that MR2 forum.

This is what was done in the rebuild....

Pistons
All rings
Head/Main bolts
Bearings
Thrust Washer
Gaskets
Head is fully rebuilt to new condition
Oil Pump
Water Pump
Timing Belt
Serpentine Belt

He has this

apex afc, Greddy intercooler, rebuilt/cleaned/desludged
head and bigger pistons.

and is running at 15 PSI.

Thanks for all the help...

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
I have a MR2 it is a good draily driver
No real problems.
$10k to much imo I don't care what he has done. It doesn't make the car more valueable at a lot so why should you pay more. Plus now you know he has raced it. Doutful about 12s

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
I would offer him 10 that seems like a nice car. Personally I would not like to buy a rebuilt car or a heavy modded car. Cause that means that they probley abused there car. I guess they could baby a car that has a boost controller... Could YOU? Mr2 are great. Nice handling, speed, size, looks, rwd

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
ok first.... That black MR2 is fucking awsome.

On which one I would get I would probley go with the stock one even though the other is going to be faster...... I like to do stuff to my car, and a rebulit motor and now he is selling it why?? But if you want something really fast straight up go with they suped up one. Miles don't really matter . Mine has 91,000 and it runs like a beat besides it now needs its first clutch replacement. Thats what happens when you drop a stck clutch as 6k.... Hope I have been some help

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yes, thank you. You have been of help.

Well he said hes selling it because when he decided to rebuild it he wasnt planning on selling it, but later decided to.

Straight up, forget about which is faster, which has stuff done to it.

Based on miles, price, and how they look which would u go for?

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
beofre i bought my rsx i was very much into mr2's. I owned a 93 turbo a couple years back and it was fuckin sweet. I had many aftermarket products...(intake/exhaust/downpipe/boost controller, fuel cut defenser...etc etc and the engine had 133k on it. I ran the car up to 172k without one single problem....daily driving it 80 miles a day runnin 14 psi. The stock turbo (ct-26) is a good one. I believe it can pump out 17 or 18 psi if your engine was built to handle that. If you really want some info u can use go to www.mr2forums.com, there are many mr2 nuts there who can help you. good luck - steve

G

·
Whatever you do, don't buy the non-turbo one. Power gains on a NA is very hard. I owned a 91 MR2 before I got my RSX. I was so dis-satisfied with the 135hp 5SFE motor that I decided to swap it out with a 3rd gen 3sgte motor. The 3rd gen stock jdm motor makes 245hp. It is a fun car to drive and very realiable. It is very nimble and sticks to the ground on dry weather. But be careful on wet weather because the back tends to break loose. 93 MR2's and up have better suspension. Definately get a MR2 turbo or jdm turbo. Very fast and realiable cars to drive. Sold for $8000 with JDM motor, upgraded ct20 ceramic turbo.
I got robbed but I needed the money and needed a bigger car.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I had a MR2 Turbo before I bought my RSX.

If you work on the car yourself, the car is a PAIN IN THE F*CKING A$$ to work on. There is no room and everything is extra hard to remove and install.

It can be quick in a straightline, but it has bad handling for street driving(imo). The suspension was revised twice substantially in Japan. Go figure. If you pay someone to do your work, expect high prices because you have to drop the engine and there's no room, etc....

The 3S-GTE has a problem with the #3 piston and cooling is a b*tch because of the stock intercooler location. The only way is to go trunk mounted, but then you lose throttle response and you have to do more work, etc.....

In my opinion, go with a front engine turbo if you want big reliable hp(fmic) and less headaches(front engine).

Sorry about the swearing. It's a great car, but it's just a big pain to work on, in my opinion. So glad I got rid of it.

dcredskins24 said:
yes, thank you. You have been of help.

Well he said hes selling it because when he decided to rebuild it he wasnt planning on selling it, but later decided to.

Straight up, forget about which is faster, which has stuff done to it.

Based on miles, price, and how they look which would u go for?

G

·
Not a bad price for a MR2 Turbo. But becareful with the synchros. Many MR2 owners have that problem. I had it on mine which caused my 2nd gear to grind. I replaced the tranny 3 times and each time it was the same thing. I never figured it out why it kept grinding on 2nd but if you keep grinding it eventually the shift cable will break and you will be locked on to wuteva gear u in. So fix that ryte away. I locked up in 2nd and was not able to shift back to any gear even neutral. Went 40 miles back home on 2nd gear. That was not fun. So I would advise you to fix that problem quickly. For a turbocharged vehicle with everything rebuild as he claims is a ok price. 3SGTE motors are very strong motors. But you can even turbocharge the 5SFE motor found on the mr2 nonturbo and beat the 3SGTE but that requires major work. I wouldn't go that route. Cheaper to buy a N/A but major work has to be done. Like 5 angle valve job, custom turbo, high compression pistons, rings, port n polish, etc etc. But the bottom end of the non turbo motor is a stronger and the 2.2 motor has an advantage if turbocharged. I have seen somewhere on the internet that this guy did up the 5SFE motor and he was running 11's. Check this site out www.mr2pp.com they can custom build you a turbo for the 5SFE. They mainly modify mr2's. Speak to the guy name John. Very nice and knowledgeable about US spec MR2's. He turbocharged a nonturbo mr2 for one of his customers that has an article posted up on www.mr2.com. The article states that his mr2 is now able to beat the m3's and a lot of the v'8 cars. Very impressive transformation from a 135hp car to a v8 eating machine.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.