Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
New Old Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’ve been trying to find a front strut tower brace that will not require the removal of the OEM brace on my 04 type s. It seems like some options will/may work, while others absolutely will not. I think I narrowed it down to the following options:

Cusco - the mounts appear to be designed to accommodate the oem brace, but I’m not completely certain. Can anyone confirm this for me please? Because this is by far the least expensive option. Additionally, finding matching front and rear Cusco braces is easy, kseriesparts.com has them.

Spoon - the mounts on this one are very similar in design to the Mugen mounts (which definitely allow for the OEM brace), but I’m not totally certain. If anyone who sees this post knows for sure, please chime in. I have a source for this brace, new, but I’m struggling to find a matching Spoon brace for the rear.

Mugen - this is my first choice, but super hard to find. There is one on eBay right now, but for over $1000… This is the only brace that I know FOR SURE will coexist nicely with the OEM brace. Finding a matching rear brace by Mugen seems to not be an option. The only thing close that I’ve found bolts onto where the rear seat backrests attach to the frame, meaning the seats would have to be folded down full time or removed. I’d like to keep my interior intact though, so, no thanks.

Neuspeed - not entirely against this option, or maybe I am, but every video I’ve seen of someone installing it has shown it to not really fit right. The upside though, is it does jive with the OEM brace.

Am I missing any other good options?

·
Super Moderator
2,040 Posts
Your seats can still remain in the upright position with a rear strut bar from any company, including mugen. You’re better off buying a replica though, unless you don’t mind throwing money away.

·
New Old Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your seats can still remain in the upright position with a rear strut bar from any company, including mugen. You’re better off buying a replica though, unless you don’t mind throwing money away.
You're right! I must have been misunderstanding the pictures I was looking at, but after your comment, I looked again, and the Mugen rear brace does not block the seats from being upright. I'll look for a replica. Thanks for the pointers.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had a Cusco with the stock brace and a torque damper on my 03-S, just had to cut the stock brace's mounting plate a little to accommodate the Cusco. Really easy with a Dremel and a couple cutting disks.

·
WILDCARD!
2006 RSX Type-S
2,036 Posts
Spoon works with the 02-04 OEM brace. I test-fitted it on my car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts