Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Base Model
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I Have An 02 Base, I/H/E, Kpro, Ktuned Fuel Rail, 310 Injectors, And Full Suspension.

I Already Have But Not Installed:

Brian Crower Stage 2 NA Cams
Supertech Black SS Nitrate Valves (Exhaust and Intake)
Supertech Bronze Valve Seals
Supertech Titanium Retainers
Supertech Titanium Seats
Supertech Dual Valve Springs
Supertech Bronze Valve Guides
Hybrid Racing Timing Chain Tensioner
PRB Intake Manifold
PRB Throttle Body
ARP Head Studs

What I'm Planning On Doing When I Have It All Apart:
Replacing Head Gasket
Replacing Timing Chain
Replacing All Timing Chain Guides
Having Head Machined, Polished, And Hot Tanked
Replacing All Valve Cover Gaskets

Now! My Questions:

1: Should I use type-s rocker arms, or are they not going to do me any difference? (I have them but not sure if it would do me any justice to use them)
2: Is it recommended that I build the block or should I be fine with stock block?

Please no shit talking, seriously just asking for some extra advice, not trying to show off my parts or anything like that.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I Have An 02 Base, I/H/E, Kpro, Ktuned Fuel Rail, 310 Injectors, And Full Suspension.

Supertech Titanium Seats
Type-s Oil Pump

Replacing Head Gasket
Replacing Timing Chain

Now! My Questions:

1: Should I use type-s rocker arms, or are they not going to do me any difference? (I have them but not sure if it would do me any justice to use them)
2: Is it recommended that I build the block or should I be fine with stock block?
3: What else should I do while I'm at it?
4: Is there any other parts that i should use from a Type-s with my setup?

Please no shit talking, seriously just asking for some extra advice, not trying to show off my parts or anything like that.
I think you can use type s rocker arms, but i don't know anyone here that used stage 2 cams yet.

As for the block if your staying NA and want to rev the hell out of it, brack steve here has his car going up to 8.5k on A3 connecting rods, crank shaft, etc. It hasn't blown up yet, so we cant really tell you what it will take effectivly, most guys usually just swap in type s vavle train parts and cams. :dontknow:

Yea get your hands on a RBC or PRB, RBC is better power adder, PRB is better than base IM but not as good as RBC but is waaaay cheaper than RBC. Type S throttlebody and get it TUNED ASAP.

With the RBC you should expect around 180 whp maybe a little more. That is with factory A3 head. My set up was a A3 TB, PRB, Header, TP, 05 type s exhaust and I make 169 whp, I didn't get it dynoed again after I went RH and 3 inch exhaust. My guess would be low 170s.

·
Base Model
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think you can use type s rocker arms, but i don't know anyone here that used stage 2 cams yet.

As for the block if your staying NA and want to rev the hell out of it, brack steve here has his car going up to 8.5k on A3 connecting rods, crank shaft, etc. It hasn't blown up yet, so we cant really tell you what it will take effectivly, most guys usually just swap in type s vavle train parts and cams. :dontknow:

Yea get your hands on a RBC or PRB, RBC is better power adder, PRB is better than base IM but not as good as RBC but is waaaay cheaper than RBC. Type S throttlebody and get it TUNED ASAP.

With the RBC you should expect around 180 whp maybe a little more. That is with factory A3 head. My set up was a A3 TB, PRB, Header, TP, 05 type s exhaust and I make 169 whp, I didn't get it dynoed again after I went RH and 3 inch exhaust. My guess would be low 170s.

RBC or aftermarket completely intake manifold and throttle body will be installed a little bit later after I get this part finished. Only reason is the torque factor of the base intake manifold is higher and I want to see the difference. I'm going to get it tuned a couple days after I do everything. Going to load a base map from someone else to get it there. Right now I am not worried about how much power ill make only because I'm basically only using the bare head itself from the factory. Everything else is being upgraded. So I know I'll be making quite a bit more than I am now. However I know I'm going to build the block in the future but idk when or what I'm gonna do quite yet so that's kind of why I'm asking all of this. Thank you for the response. Hoping to get some more!

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
RBC or aftermarket completely intake manifold and throttle body will be installed a little bit later after I get this part finished. Only reason is the torque factor of the base intake manifold is higher and I want to see the difference. I'm going to get it tuned a couple days after I do everything. Going to load a base map from someone else to get it there. Right now I am not worried about how much power ill make only because I'm basically only using the bare head itself from the factory. Everything else is being upgraded. So I know I'll be making quite a bit more than I am now. However I know I'm going to build the block in the future but idk when or what I'm gonna do quite yet so that's kind of why I'm asking all of this. Thank you for the response. Hoping to get some more!
HP and TQ both will go up after you get a tune, but done expect a large jump in that deparment, all honda motors are pretty much lacking in the TQ department.

·
Base Model
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah, not expecting a huge jump on anything, I mean, i know a lot about all of this, just kind of want to know what everyone else has to say, not to ask what i should/need to do.. just to get other opinions as to what options i have to go from here for next steps i want to take!!

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Black Steve checking in........ :mam:

Well not gonna blow the thread to pieces with a huge 100 sentence paragraph because lazy and busy but lets start off slow :coffee:

1.) Why did you go out and buy all these parts with no direction or knowing what you can do with them??

2.) What are you goals for the car?? like daily driver? autocross? drag? road racing? street racing?

3.) Whats your budget looking like for the rest of the build?? and are you doing all the work yourself or would a shop be?

·
Base Model
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didn't go out and buy all of these parts with no direction of where I'm going. I know what I'm doing. And budget isn't a big deal. I have time. Just seeing if I could put the head together now and build block later. That's all I'm asking. It's going to be a circuit car/weekend car once I finish it. And I am doing to work. I know what I'm doing and talking about clearly you didn't read or you'd know that

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
I didn't go out and buy all of these parts with no direction of where I'm going. I know what I'm doing. And budget isn't a big deal. I have time. Just seeing if I could put the head together now and build block later. That's all I'm asking. It's going to be a circuit car/weekend car once I finish it. And I am doing to work. I know what I'm doing and talking about clearly you didn't read or you'd know that
:ugh: well if you know what your doing why create a thread asking very simple noob questions.........

nevermind this is not worth getting banned over :rolleyes:

·
#selfie
83,462 Posts
Put those parts into a PRB head, I would not do that to an A3 head.

As for the block just build a k24 short block with 12.5 compression and a TSX crank. :awwyea:

·
Base Model
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Put those parts into a PRB head, I would not do that to an A3 head.

As for the block just build a k24 short block with 12.5 compression and a TSX crank. :awwyea:

i can't put the cams in an A2 head, plus I'm building it as a base, not as a swap car, i want everything to APPEAR stock at first sight. plus i don't want to spend the money on an A2 head. as far as the block goes, i don't want to go Frankenstein so I'm not doing K24 block. I've thought about that to much and ended up talking myself out of it.. But, i am going to do either supertech or brian crower pistons, rods, and wrist pins in the near future, just really want to get the head together so bad!

·
Casual Scum
2,108 Posts
An A2 head would only run you about $500, and as others have said, would be much better bang for your buck.

and anyone who knows ANYTHING about Hondas will be able to look at and listen to your motor and tell it's not stock. If I see anything but a plastic PND manifold on an A3 that sounds like it's camming out, I know it's not stock.

·
hooyaa!
712 Posts

Supertech Titanium Seats
PRB Intake Manifold
PRB Throttle Body

Replacing Head Gasket
Replacing Timing Chain
Replacing All Valve Cover Gaskets

Now! My Questions:

3: What else should I do while I'm at it?
4: Is there any other parts that i should use from a Type-s with my setup?

Now imagine placing all off that money into a type s..

SENT FROM SWIFER SWEEPER

·
Base Model
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm not worried about it sounds stock or anything. I want it to look like its a stock motor. I know what I'm doing, just getting opinions. And I don't want a type-s. so don't even waist your time. I wanted a base model for a reason but don't worry about that haha

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
I'm not worried about it sounds stock or anything. I want it to look like its a stock motor. I know what I'm doing, just getting opinions. And I don't want a type-s. so don't even waist your time. I wanted a base model for a reason but don't worry about that haha
...........but still looking for advice :rotfl:

·
Base Model
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
An A2 head would only run you about $500, and as others have said, would be much better bang for your buck.

and anyone who knows ANYTHING about Hondas will be able to look at and listen to your motor and tell it's not stock. If I see anything but a plastic PND manifold on an A3 that sounds like it's camming out, I know it's not stock.
clearly i said, *** APPEAR STOCK AT FIRST SIGHT*** Granted i see what your saying about intake manifold, however many base's have upgraded just intake manifold and not internals

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
read a bit further, why even post on here if you aren't going to talk about the topic..offtopic:
:stfu:

clearly i said, *** APPEAR STOCK AT FIRST SIGHT*** Granted i see what your saying about intake manifold, however many base's have upgraded just intake manifold and not internals
i hope you know a k20a2 head and k20a3 **LOOK THE EXACT SAME** so why not swap heads and get globs more power........ and two if you want to appear stock this is pointless, because if you have a base and have swapped intake manifolds they know you have kpro so of course you could be hiding alot more :deadhorse

1 - 20 of 38 Posts