Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey guys , I'm looking to upgrade my boost . in order to do so i need a kpro ecu,retune, boost pully , new belt , intercooler , anything else? i got a fuel rail and injectors but unsure of what size because i bought the car already set up. i dont have much knowledge when it comes to cars but I'm learning. right now i got a supercharger with a preset ecu and running 5psi. i see a few guys talking about heat shields for the kpro , would i be needing one of theses? also who does all the remote tuning online and who's the best at it ? i dont no how to tune and will be needing one. i was also told if i were to upgrade the boost i would need a intercooler . was thinking about using the intercooler merc racing sells but from what i read you can only buy it if you have your own parts to go with it . I'm assuming the parts they are talking about are the hoses and hardware etc ( anyone no?) found the ecu on hondata.com, found the pully at pully boys or mercy racing anyone no which one is best? . i got to try and figure out what parts are compatible with each other . any help will be appreciated cheers !

·
Jimbo's Cowering Employee
4,131 Posts
Start with buying kpro. After you get it you can at least tune your car as it is and probably get better performance than the power commander card thing you have. Assuming you have the JRSC street kit with the power commander.

Where are you located? I have a friend that could tune you if you are in the Seattle area.

·
3,310 Posts
Which size pulley are you going to run? 3.2 or the 3.0?

Have you verified you can get your hands on an aftercooler and they are not sold out? If they are then maybe Methanol injection kit would be a better route for you.

A pulley is a pulley pretty much, buy one wherever you want, wont matter.

You don't need a heat shield for Kpro

There's a couple online tuners here on this forum and some others elsewhere. Probably want to wait for that until you have the parts and are ready to tune though

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Start with buying kpro. After you get it you can at least tune your car as it is and probably get better performance than the power commander card thing you have. Assuming you have the JRSC street kit with the power commander.

Where are you located? I have a friend that could tune you if you are in the Seattle area.
I'm going to order it today regardless , yes i have the jrsc with the street kit. i bout my car with it already set up. only mods i did were engine mounts and mercado bracket etc. I'm located in newfoundland canada ! I'm the only person in nl with a sc rss ! and appreciate the help and offer!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Which size pulley are you going to run? 3.2 or the 3.0?

Have you verified you can get your hands on an aftercooler and they are not sold out? If they are then maybe Methanol injection kit would be a better route for you.

A pulley is a pulley pretty much, buy one wherever you want, wont matter.

You don't need a heat shield for Kpro

There's a couple online tuners here on this forum and some others elsewhere. Probably want to wait for that until you have the parts and are ready to tune though
i found some at pully boys . i found a aftercooler kit i can buy but I'm still on the wall about what boost pully i should go with . can't decide between 3.2 or 3 inch . my goal is to get as much whp without breaking down every month . so far i found out that the 3.2 allows me to have around 9psi with almost no trouble. but I've read that with the 3 inch your looking at heat issues with also belt slipping issues. do you have any idea what ppl have done for this?

·
3,310 Posts
i found some at pully boys . i found a aftercooler kit i can buy but I'm still on the wall about what boost pully i should go with . can't decide between 3.2 or 3 inch . my goal is to get as much whp without breaking down every month . so far i found out that the 3.2 allows me to have around 9psi with almost no trouble. but I've read that with the 3 inch your looking at heat issues with also belt slipping issues. do you have any idea what ppl have done for this?
Yes, the 3.0 can have problems. The smaller diameter provides less surface to grip onto for the belt so thats why you have read about slipping issues. Merc sells a tensioner kit but I have no exp with it so cant comment.

The other thing you can do is swap out your crank pulley instead. I'm not sure what year your car is but 02-04 CP and 05-06 CP are different sizes and thus create different levels of boost when paired to the same blower pulley. So if you have 05-06 rsx, switching to the 02-04 CP will add 1-2psi if I remember correctly. Imagine it like gears on a bike, the front gear is the same and the chain stays on it all the time (crank pulley) but as you shift from 1-2-3-4-5 the resistance changes. thats what you are doing when you swap the blower pulley, making the blower spin faster. So if you changed the crank pulley the whole ratio would change. There should be a chart showing the different combinations in the SC section, search for that and take a peek at it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, the 3.0 can have problems. The smaller diameter provides less surface to grip onto for the belt so thats why you have read about slipping issues. Merc sells a tensioner kit but I have no exp with it so cant comment.

The other thing you can do is swap out your crank pulley instead. I'm not sure what year your car is but 02-04 CP and 05-06 CP are different sizes and thus create different levels of boost when paired to the same blower pulley. So if you have 05-06 rsx, switching to the 02-04 CP will add 1-2psi if I remember correctly. Imagine it like gears on a bike, the front gear is the same and the chain stays on it all the time (crank pulley) but as you shift from 1-2-3-4-5 the resistance changes. thats what you are doing when you swap the blower pulley, making the blower spin faster. So if you changed the crank pulley the whole ratio would change. There should be a chart showing the different combinations in the SC section, search for that and take a peek at it.
i think mercy racing is not making any more supercharger products because they are working on a new supercharger with new accessories . do you no of any other spots that sells tensioner kits? just incase i decide to go with the 3.0 pully . so the stock tensioner will have to be replaced with a better one your saying to battle belt slip? sorry for all the questions , I've been reading on this forum for the past week , learned a fair bit so far and still learning

·
3,310 Posts
i think mercy racing is not making any more supercharger products because they are working on a new supercharger with new accessories . do you no of any other spots that sells tensioner kits? just incase i decide to go with the 3.0 pully . so the stock tensioner will have to be replaced with a better one your saying to battle belt slip? sorry for all the questions , I've been reading on this forum for the past week , learned a fair bit so far and still learning
I do not. I havn't been SC for 2 years now so I don't remember everything and I'm not aware of whats going on lately with the companies, sorry man.

I'm not sure that everyone with a 3.0 BP has belt slip, that might be a better question to ask in the SC chat thread. If Merc doesn't sell his kit anymore and you can't find it used then I don't know another option.

If I were you, I would run the 3.2" and shoot for 8-9psi no cooling for now. Get a Kpro so you can tune it and have ability to change tune later if you decide you want more. Remember nitrous and SC pair together very well, and psi does not equal power. Maybe add a nitrous kit down the road which will of course make more power and also help with cooling as well. Methanol injection is an option also like I've mentioned before. Much cheaper than an aftercooler. Also, aftercooler is not a magic solution to the issue of heat, I've seen them get heat soaked on hot days and become worthless. Think about what you want before dropping $1k+ on an aftercooler.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
on the pully boys site the 3.2 pully says for a type r you get 7 psi depending on your bolt ons, and for the rsx it says 9psi but what about the type s? or is that the same as a type r ? a type r in japan has 20 more hp then the type s so I'm unsure if the 3.2 pully for my car would actually give me 9psi does anyone no about this?

also in order for me to get a kpro i need to buy a 02-04 ecu and send it away for hondata to install a harness on it in order for it to work correctly . the 05-06 ecu cannot be modified . so id be without my car for about 2 months before i get my ecu back i my car. but i was told that i could use a haltech or aem ecu without having to remove my oem ecu . have anyone tried one of these ? if so was it better then the k pro ? whats the pros and cons ?

·
Registered
295 Posts
- Regardless if you buy your own 02-04 ECU or purchase from Hondata/Kseriesparts, the wait should not be more than a week to have the 05-06 kpro in your hands.
- You'll find the most support from forums/users with Kpro. An alternative is Ktuner, which is a cheaper alternative for 2nd gen RSX.
- For 05-06 RSX, I believe you reference the Type R boost level from the Pulley Boy site.
- For belt tensioning, Mercracing and Comptech offer options, neither works with hydraulic power steering. You'll need electronic power steering or eliminate it all together.
- Another option to keep hydraulic power steering and still get good belt wrap, make your own system.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
- Regardless if you buy your own 02-04 ECU or purchase from Hondata/Kseriesparts, the wait should not be more than a week to have the 05-06 kpro in your hands.
- You'll find the most support from forums/users with Kpro. An alternative is Ktuner, which is a cheaper alternative for 2nd gen RSX.
- For 05-06 RSX, I believe you reference the Type R boost level from the Pulley Boy site.
- For belt tensioning, Mercracing and Comptech offer options, neither works with hydraulic power steering. You'll need electronic power steering or eliminate it all together.
- Another option to keep hydraulic power steering and still get good belt wrap, make your own system.

hey thanks for the pointers ! i live in newfoundland canada and the shipping time it takes for my ecu to get to cali would be 5-10 business days each way then hondata told me id dave to wait a week before they send it back so it would be more like a month unless i got with overnight shipping . for the belt tensioning are you referring to the mercado bracket ? if so i already have one installed . having the support from the forums if i go with a hondata is a good point ! ok ill call pully boys and see what they got to say about it . i haven't started anything yet but can't wait to long , summers here are really short

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)

called pully boys , they couldn't give me a answer towards what size pully i would need in order to achieve 9 psi with a type s engine . on the site it says a 3.2 " pully , but thats for the base model and for the type r it says with the 3.2" you'll get 7psi. ppl on this forum tells me the 3.2" but according to the results ppl have gave pully boys to put on their site , they are wrong . did anyone out there try the 3.2 " pully with a jackson supercharger? would love to no what psi you got from it

·
3,310 Posts
Hey man, We wanna help you out and everything but you're not listening at this point so I give up. The fact that you called Pulley boys and asked them what pulley to buy to hit a certain psi # means you need to go back and re-read the SC stickies. PSI is subjective to your mods and only represents pressure in the manifold. It does not equal HP. You may not have 9psi with a 3.2, you may have 8psi or 7psi. If you put on a bigger exhaust the PSI will also go down...

Also please stop asking "has anyone tried this"... yes, its been tried and I already told you I personally ran a 3.2 pulley. All the info you need is already here on this forum if you search hard enough for it. If you don't wanna listen when we give you advice then thats on you. Good luck with the project

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Hey man, We wanna help you out and everything but you're not listening at this point so I give up. The fact that you called Pulley boys and asked them what pulley to buy to hit a certain psi # means you need to go back and re-read the SC stickies. PSI is subjective to your mods and only represents pressure in the manifold. It does not equal HP. You may not have 9psi with a 3.2, you may have 8psi or 7psi. If you put on a bigger exhaust the PSI will also go down...

Also please stop asking "has anyone tried this"... yes, its been tried and I already told you I personally ran a 3.2 pulley. All the info you need is already here on this forum if you search hard enough for it. If you don't wanna listen when we give you advice then thats on you. Good luck with the project
hey I'm all ears! and i did mention in my post that other members told me to use the 3.2" , sorry I'm not mechanically inclined as most members on this forum. yea i called pully boys wouldn't you if you were in my shoes and you were getting mixed answers to your questions ? whats wrong with that? i want to make sure i dont order the wrong parts before i go ahead with everything . isn't that what this forum is for? if more boost dont equal more hp then whats the point of adding more boost?

are you the owner of this forum? its pretty rude to tell ppl what they can and can't ask . I've been reading on and off this site and got lots of good information that I'm thankfull for . I'm only a few days away from ordering all my parts i need but running into a few minor issues. didn't think it would be a big deal to see if anyone else has ran into these minor issues . sorry if my post offended you

·
Registered
295 Posts
My experience with this forum is that people are very helpful, but you also need to research and understand the information on your own. Having that knowledge will provide the best decision making when it comes to deciding what mods to pursue.

That said, there are many factors that affect power output. Higher boost generate more heat so without proper cooling, the heat can negate potential gains. Generally, if you want to go above 9psi, cooling is highly recommended to maximize power output.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Word . I agree with you and thats what im trying to do along with the help from others. Im a little slow when it comes to learning all this. Big learning curve and a lot of reading which i dont have a lot of time to do. Im aware of the heat issues thats why im going for 9 psi instead of 11psi. Appreciate the help man .

·
Registered
295 Posts
If you can add cooling to your set up, I would highly recommend it. It should help at all boost levels and leave you room to grow once you're used to the power and want more.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
If you can add cooling to your set up, I would highly recommend it. It should help at all boost levels and leave you room to grow once you're used to the power and want more.
true, good point . thanks for the advice man ! wish the ignorant ppl on this forum were all helpful as you were! you got to be careful what you ask on this forum, ppl get offended easy! they must have a lot of time on their hands to be picking out other members flaws lol!!!!!!

·
Always on TDY...
2,159 Posts
true, good point . thanks for the advice man ! wish the ignorant ppl on this forum were all helpful as you were! you got to be careful what you ask on this forum, ppl get offended easy! they must have a lot of time on their hands to be picking out other members flaws lol!!!!!!
Understand you have questions and we are here trying to help. I believe sage has done a good job trying to help you, so let's be fair.

Part of the misunderstanding is that topic shifted in this thread to pulley sizes vs the original thread title where you are "looking to buy kpro". These forums are segregated into distinct sections to help archive information for future users. Based on the discussion here, this thread should technically be moved to the supercharger forum.

With that, I believe your original question for kpro was answered by sage. If you still have questions on pulley, please use the S/C chat or S/C Q&A threads.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Im very thankful for the help but if ppl want to leave or reply with negetive feedback then its not a misunderstanding and not considered help to me.

No worries nats me boy ill change the title to looking for a kpro and and super charger pully.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.