Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
CIVICes1
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys , like tittle says, loosing coolant (green fluid)
today after driving couple of miles, I decided to open the radiator cap and see the level of coolant on my radiator, so I grabbed a towel , placed over the cap and opened slowly . after it released the pressure I removed the cap and normally its all the way to the top, the coolant. but today I could not see any of the green coolant , so I decided to add a complete 20fl oz water bottle just to see how low it was, I didn't have any coolant , I know I did wrong but its better than nothing right? and it took the whole bottle and coolant was exactly to the neck, water turned green , and had small amounts of foam, possibly the coolant boiling , nothing major, guess that's normal? I daily drive my ep3 45 miles , its a 04 with 98k miles . bought it with 90k miles and never added coolant to the reservoir tank, because my radiator was always full, so I decided to not even mess with the radiator if its not giving me any heating problems. and to this day temperature guage marks normal . so u guys think coolant was just low due to the hot days here in LA lately? or should I have it checked?
I haven't noticed any leaks. well I will add some coolant to the reservoir tank this weekend and keep an eye on it. what brand do u guys recommend? also do u guys think the radiator will be ok with those 20 fl oz of water I added till dec wen I get the coolant drained ? SORRY IF IM ASKING A DUMB QUESTION BUT I ALWAYS GET SOME POSITIVE GOOD REPLYES ON HERE! thanx

·
Registered
118 Posts
Seems like your coolant is going somewhere. I change mines every 2 years and my coolant has never disappeared, had always stayed at where I left it off at. I would check in case though. To me it just doesn't sound right. But I could be wrong since you live in a much warmer climate then I do. I just changed my fluid 2 weeks ago and I poured in almost the whole jug that it comes in with. I used premixed 50/50 btw. If there's no leaks I'm assuming there's nothing to worry about.

·
CIVICes1
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nope, no leaks and today after I drove for a while I opened radiator cap it was full. no over heating . so knock on wood I hope it turns out ok , thanx matte

·
ride height Nazi
7,601 Posts
you check you catch tank.....inside the passenger wheel well....it its cracked, you will loose it in the heat cycles.

·
CIVICes1
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mustclime , if by catch tank u mean the plastic tank that has a small hose to the radiator neck, yeah ive checked it and its empty, and it does have a crack at the top of the tank, missing piece , size of a dime. can I use a seal or some type of tape? could this be the reason my coolant went low?
cja3455 , no white smoke.

·
ride height Nazi
7,601 Posts
replace it...thats your coolent leak most likely...while your at it, replace you radiator cap with a new honda part...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts