Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys I have a serious question. I don't want to start a flame war or anything.

Last Monday I went to a few dealers just to kill time and what not. I was shocked to see a lot of used 06 Si's on dealer lots. Most of them have less than 10k miles on them. Most dealers are asking between 19k-21k.

My question is this. How come there so many used Si on the market? I thought that this car was on high demand?

Thanks.

·
Zilla 4 Rilla ©rew #0
16,800 Posts
depends on your area... I live in boise and you have to pay 2K over MSRP to own on....

but go to cali and buy one for under MSRP all day....

never seen a used one for sale yet
hes not asking about the price, hes asking why there are so many of them back on the lot after how high demand has been for them

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yahoos with no way to keep up on payments, I'll bet.
I second that.

I've also noticed a lot of people purchasing without thinking it all the way through. Many people seem to be giving up the coupes for something more "family oriented", some going on to Si sedans, others going on to larger cars/trucks/SUVs.

Either way Si sedan ftmfw...

·
Registered
27 Posts
With the Si's a lot of it could be payments....

However there have been some problems that I have experienced first hand. I traded my 06 coupe (non Si) for a used RSX. Again as the first poster said, not to start a flame war, especially since I am new, just giving some honest answers about my experience and subsequent research.

I too have noticed how many 06 civics both si's and non on lots (even when I traded last May this was the case) "My" reason was no. 1 problems....car was in the dealer 3 times by 600 miles for alignment issues the dealer couldn't fix. After 3rd attempt, 2 claims with Honda and technical services involved with the last alignment I decided to get out. I would have pursued the lemon law but with assurances it was finally fixed and even the replacement of all tires (must have been pretty bad at 650 miles to need this) I was so dissapointed that I decided to trade.

It did drive better after a LOT of hassle on my part..... when I decided to trade I did not want to pass on a potential lemon to an unsuspecting person....

In the meantime I found I was just not a good match for that car and I could sell it while it was "hot" and get a decent trade in amount. Not putting the car down, I bought it after all, but I found too many things that bothered me (some my fault, some not)

Anyway....I questioned several dealers as to why there were so many 06's for sale with such low miles. The #1 reason I heard was visibility.

This is supported by my experience trying to sell my car on Auto Trader at first. I had two serious lookers and both asked me the same question....how do the wheels look? Both had seen "new" Civics with a lot of curb rash or even bent rims. One had looked at 2 with the same problem. One car had 1,500K miles, the other 2,500K.... both with bad rims.

Makes me wonder if the dealers were right. The new civic does have a lot of blind spots. In the rear and particularly at the A pillars when turning (especially left) and I have talked to lots of posters on Civic boards that have messed up their wheels right off the bat and hadn't run into a curb before with other cars in years. It's not hard to do unfortunately.

That wasn't my main issue, (although parking and drive thrus were a B*tch) but wanted to share what I have heard in the last year.

·
Registered
472 Posts
depends on your area...
I completely agree, I just purchased an '07 Galaxy Grey Si coupe and they only had two colors on the lot, Alabaster Silver and Galaxy Grey. They were expecting a Rallye Red one to be coming in soon, but other than that if I was interested in any of the other colors I would have had to go to another dealer and track one down in stock or wait a long time and order one.

In my area they are in pretty high demand, I think it just depends where you live.

With the Si's a lot of it could be payments....

Anyway....I questioned several dealers as to why there were so many 06's for sale with such low miles. The #1 reason I heard was visibility.

This is supported by my experience trying to sell my car on Auto Trader at first. I had two serious lookers and both asked me the same question....how do the wheels look? Both had seen "new" Civics with a lot of curb rash or even bent rims. One had looked at 2 with the same problem. One car had 1,500K miles, the other 2,500K.... both with bad rims.

Makes me wonder if the dealers were right. The new civic does have a lot of blind spots. In the rear and particularly at the A pillars when turning (especially left) and I have talked to lots of posters on Civic boards that have messed up their wheels right off the bat and hadn't run into a curb before with other cars in years. It's not hard to do unfortunately.

That wasn't my main issue, (although parking and drive thrus were a B*tch) but wanted to share what I have heard in the last year.
Honestly I test drove an '05 and '06 Type S and one of my bigger complaints when compared to the new civic or even my current '98 Integra was the horrible blind spot when looking over your left shoulder to merge. I couldn't see anything without leaning forward a lot, but maybe that was just me.

Like it was mentioned above I think a mjority of people are trading them in because of failure to make payments and the need for a larger car.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Honestly I test drove an '05 and '06 Type S and one of my bigger complaints when compared to the new civic or even my current '98 Integra was the horrible blind spot when looking over your left shoulder to merge. I couldn't see anything without leaning forward a lot, but maybe that was just me.
QUOTE]

No, it's not just you, the RSX has a horrible blind spot in the back too. I know and can compare to my 90 Integra. I feel like I am driving in an all glass greenhouse where I can can see everything compared to my RSX . In fact, compared to most new cars out there. Guess we can thank all of those "safety" features. Kind of a trade off IMO.

I noticed blind spots (and others too) due to the angle of the front windshield in the Civic and the double blind spots were killer :)

·
Kenpachi Fried Chicken
1,472 Posts
Set your mirrors correctly to avoid blind spots

I have no problem at all with blind spots in the RSX, even having the A-Spec spoiler.

As for the used '06's, it's most likely a combination of people not being able to pay, people "moving on", and the dealer having had '06 stock when they received the '07s so they put some miles on it and sell it used to atleast pick up some cash from the sale.

·
Mr. Bear
8,079 Posts
teenage with no money but wannting the holy grail civics... I can only think of payment problem... just like what you see here 05-06 RSX for sale where seller wanting to sell it for the price they got it for so they can get out even and pay off the car.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've actually been thinking about getting rid of mine but I prolly won't. I bought my car when the first batch of SI's rolled out of the factory and I've had nothing but dumb little problems. It's nothing horrible but it's just annoying. If i did get rid of my car I know I would miss b/c the FG2's are awesome...

·
i aint even mad!
3,391 Posts
Anyway....I questioned several dealers as to why there were so many 06's for sale with such low miles. The #1 reason I heard was visibility
Thats what test drives are for. Its funny to see how people complain about cars that they bought and then post in forums about well its not fast enough, its not big enough blah blah blah!! You should always take your time and test drive the car more then once if you are thinking about buying it.

·
Banned
6,586 Posts
Wow where do you live in So Cal you cant find any i guess it all depends on where you live. It could be that the kids who had mommy and daddy buy the SI could have wanted something else like an EVO or STI. I have seen alot of people who previously owned a type S or SI trade in there car for an EVO or STI. Another thing may be that the SI pricing maybe attracting buyers who normally wouldnt consider a civic since it is more expensive than most sedans for example the camry same price as the accord. People tend to feel that they are getting ripped which is understandable i honestly wouldnt buy the SI for the price ive heard some people buy it for.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
all the guys that paid 6k over sticker coming to terms with their retardedness.
Thanks for the input guys. I think BankBoy is right. I know a few people who paid 27-29k for their Si when it first came out. Now they realized that with that money they could had bought something better. Not saying that there's anything wrong with the Si. But who in their right mind would pay more than 23k for an Si.

Also I've read a few forums where people have complained about the rev lag caused by the drive by wire system. Also lots of people have experienced problems with their Si such as rattles and aligment issues.

Well I'm in the market for a new car. The Si sedan is still on my list. I guess I have to drive one and see how I like it.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.