Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Giving hope to the '09ers
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It only does this if it hasn't been started for an hour or two. It just recently started doing this. And yes you could consider this a re-post but I was told to put it in the P&S section and I have a new video of it.

Old Video(from back of car):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqJ-Fidvzqg

New Video(from engine top): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW5Vw4_EAro

You might have to give the new vid. a minute or two to be processed before it will play...

12/3/09 7:36 PM

·
Pancakes
5,343 Posts
Make sure you have the right weight oil in you car in the right quantity. It defiantly shouldn't sound like that.

·
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Posted from an iPhone

^^just changed it yesterday. 5 quarts of Honda 5w-30 and an oem Honda filter. That fixed the valve tap I had going but not this current noise.

·
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I've figured it out. It is a timing chain rattle. The tensioner on my timing chain is bad and the chain is banging against the case when I start it. Let me know what you think. I'm pretty sure of this now.

·
2,871 Posts
I think I've figured it out. It is a timing chain rattle. The tensioner on my timing chain is bad and the chain is banging against the case when I start it. Let me know what you think. I'm pretty sure of this now.
Ya that is probably it. My car does the same on cald starts. The tensioner does not pressurize quick enough when the oil is cold and thick.

·
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ya that is probably it. My car does the same on cald starts. The tensioner does not pressurize quick enough when the oil is cold and thick.
Thanks, n yeah, I'm pretty sure that's my problem.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have the same issue. any chance of it eventually rubbing thru the case and doing any serious damage? or something i can put on spring maintenance list?

·
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've heard of domestic engines doing that for years/miles and it has never done any serious damage but I'm not too sure with these RSXs... For the spring maintenance list, of course I'll have to try it for myelf, but I'm gonna say get a new tensioner...

·
1 up, 5 down
1,061 Posts
i replaced my tensioner for the same problem and it fixed it for the rest of that winter and now that its cold out again its once again doing it.... i think our chains just stretch out over time and the stock tensioners just cant handle it... are there aftermarket tensioners that would work better than the oem? im thinking of just replacing my chain but i dont have time to pull the motor cuz its my dd so a better tensioner would be outstanding haha

·
iBOOST- Do u?
3,880 Posts
i replaced my tensioner for the same problem and it fixed it for the rest of that winter and now that its cold out again its once again doing it.... i think our chains just stretch out over time and the stock tensioners just cant handle it... are there aftermarket tensioners that would work better than the oem? im thinking of just replacing my chain but i dont have time to pull the motor cuz its my dd so a better tensioner would be outstanding haha
HybridRacing has one for $300. I was told that this would end all the Tensioner drama.

I'm not sure if it works but you can do a search to see for yourself and keep us updated:thumbsup:

·
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got it looked at today. It WAS the tensioner. Getting it fixed as I speak. :weeeeeeeeee:

·
1 up, 5 down
1,061 Posts
has anyone tried that skunk2 tensioner in the crsx store? i now see the hybrid racing one is in there too but there is $150 difference between the two....

·
Blank Member
3,891 Posts
HybridRacing has one for $300. I was told that this would end all the Tensioner drama.

I'm not sure if it works but you can do a search to see for yourself and keep us updated:thumbsup:
I have the Hybrid racing unit. It works well. But I feel that even with a quality tensioner the chain will have to be replaced at some point in time. I suggest that the timing chain and tensioner be replaced. Or if it's that cold where you live use slightly lighter weight oil.

·
7,611 Posts
How many miles do you all have on your cars?

I know a chain will stretch over time, but I find it hard to believe that a chain would stretch to the point of needing replacement in under ~ 150-200K miles. If a timing belt can last 90 - 120K miles, why would a chain not last any longer, and why bother using a chain that needs to be replaced as often as a belt?

·
1 up, 5 down
1,061 Posts
How many miles do you all have on your cars?

I know a chain will stretch over time, but I find it hard to believe that a chain would stretch to the point of needing replacement in under ~ 150-200K miles. If a timing belt can last 90 - 120K miles, why would a chain not last any longer, and why bother using a chain that needs to be replaced as often as a belt?
i have roughly 96K miles and my chain slaps like a bastard on startup... looking to purchase my third tensioner....

·
7,611 Posts
i have roughly 96K miles and my chain slaps like a bastard on startup... looking to purchase my third tensioner....
damn, that sucks - I have 96.5K and I'm on my second (OEM)tensioner

I replaced the original one when my starter was going bad and I wasn't sure where the noise was coming from - it was the starter, not the TCT/chain causing the noise so IDK how long my original tensioner would have lasted.

But, if a new tensioner solves the problem, it's the tensioner that's gone bad, not the chain. If the chain is too stretched, a new tensioner isn't going to fix that.

·
1 up, 5 down
1,061 Posts
damn, that sucks - I have 96.5K and I'm on my second (OEM)tensioner

I replaced the original one when my starter was going bad and I wasn't sure where the noise was coming from - it was the starter, not the TCT/chain causing the noise so IDK how long my original tensioner would have lasted.

But, if a new tensioner solves the problem, it's the tensioner that's gone bad, not the chain. If the chain is too stretched, a new tensioner isn't going to fix that.
yea im looking to buy a better one thats made for aftermarket cams not another oem tensioner.....

·
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nothing has worked thus far. Replaced the chain, guides, and tensioner and still, nothing. Taking to an expert tomorrow. I'll let you all know if I get it fixed. I get to drive a Corvette while it's getting worked on. :)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts