Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViuqJCy1MhA

You might have to turn your volume up a little, but since I bought the car a few months ago, it will make this noise on startup whenever it has been sitting for a while.

The noise will come, then I can turn the car off instantly after, then turn it on again seconds later and the noise will be gone. Please help :(

·
MECP Installer
496 Posts
Sounds somewhat like rod knock, and it goes away once the troubled bearing gets more oil pressure

·
K24 revhard
2,572 Posts

·
DC5
388 Posts
I have the same issue right now, mine only comes on from 1200-200rpm under light acceleration. Bought a new vtc cam gear for 150 with my discount. I'm just waiting for a day to put mine in.

·
MECP Installer
496 Posts
Don't know what to do about that still.
Have you looked into anything yet? Seems like you've had good suggestions thrown at you already but haven't done anything to look into it. We can give you ideas, but you're the only one that can act on it.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
I get a subtle version of that sound once in a while and have been chalking it up to the timing chain, tensioner, or both.

-eric

·
Registered
239 Posts
It happened to me many moons ago and I ran it like that for a while. After I replaced the VTC actuator, it went away forever.

·
Registered
32 Posts
It happened to me many moons ago and I ran it like that for a while. After I replaced the VTC actuator, it went away forever.
2nd on the VTC actuator....The noise is your timing chain slapping the block....Depending on the condition of your timing chain, chain tensioner and guides, you might wanna change them out but when doing so also change out the VTC actuator thats what is causing the chain to slap on cold start....That sprocket wears out the same as your timing chain does so it is important to change out all at same time.....

I made the mistake of doing the timing chain job without changing the VTC and the slapping grinding noise was still there. Did a little more research and came to the conclusion that it was my VTC, replaced it and now noise is gone. The down side of it was I had to do the timing chain job twice!

Heres a link to kinda explain: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLk8iX3L9o4

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Have you looked into anything yet? Seems like you've had good suggestions thrown at you already but haven't done anything to look into it. We can give you ideas, but you're the only one that can act on it.
So my clutch just went out a few days ago(only had the car for 8k miles so far :( ), so I'm actually taking it to a shop today to get my clutch, trans fluid and cv axle done. I'll have to worry about the VTC actuator in a few weeks when I can actually afford to.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
2nd on the VTC actuator....The noise is your timing chain slapping the block....Depending on the condition of your timing chain, chain tensioner and guides, you might wanna change them out but when doing so also change out the VTC actuator thats what is causing the chain to slap on cold start....That sprocket wears out the same as your timing chain does so it is important to change out all at same time.....

I made the mistake of doing the timing chain job without changing the VTC and the slapping grinding noise was still there. Did a little more research and came to the conclusion that it was my VTC, replaced it and now noise is gone. The down side of it was I had to do the timing chain job twice!

Heres a link to kinda explain: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLk8iX3L9o4
How expensive and long would you say the procedure was? Also, so you'd recommend changing out all four parts; timing chain, chain tensioner, guides and VTC actuator. I'm wondering if this is something I would be capable of doing myself. I'm still a little bit of a novice as far as repairing goes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts