Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
So Others May Live
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Checked for any other threads on this, couldn't find any recent ones. What options are there for NA budget mods, and what have people done on a budget? I just put in a K&N replacement air filter because it's all I had money for after buying new tires. What else could be done to squeeze a few extra horsepower out of the car?

·
'S' on my chest
4,735 Posts
Hondata Intake Manifold Gasket, Grounding Kit...thats about all I can think of. There is nothing cheap about what we do here. :laughing: You can try buying used parts in the 'For Sale' forum.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
rear sway bar 22mm

not more HP, but probably best bang for the buck

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Energy Suspension Motor Mount Inserts are $28 on this site. Again, no "true" HP gain for the engine, but it's an effective low priced mod to get more power to the wheels. I just ordered some after reading this review yesterday. Installing might be a bitch though.

·
So Others May Live
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
zman said:
rear sway bar 22mm

not more HP, but probably best bang for the buck
If I do put on a bigger rear sway bar though, how will it affect the understeering tendencies of this car? I'm concerned only because I already have trouble with it at autocross races, and if it gets much worse, I'll have to put in a front bar and leave stock class, and that's the last thing I want to do.

To Brusky, very funny asswipe. :p

To Truckondo, good suggestion, I like the idea of a more stable engine. Also, I noticed you have the Avid V4S tires. How do you like them?

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
a Rear Anti-Sway Bar (technical name)

forces a stiffer more solid during transition feel on the vehicle.

To you, this means the vehicle will flex less during turning in either direction and have less body flex and roll.

How this effects your turning? The stiffer bar causes the front to maint a shorter path, and in effect the rear end OVERsteers the turn. the rear will have a larger radius and thus DRIVE more neutrally, or like a "better" tuned RWD vehicle.

23MM would be a better bet. but if you can only find 22MM. get it.

·
So Others May Live
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
From what you described, maybe that's why the 2005 SCCA Solo 2 Rulebook doesn't allow modifications to the rear sway bar. So screw that I guess.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I got them about 2 hours ago. Much better grip than stock. I haven't done any crazy launches in them but I did floor it as I was rolling in 1st after 3k rpm and shifted at 8600rpm without any "squealing", but just a little wheel spin at the 2nd gear shift. They also have a pretty good tread life (rated at 40,000 m). It blows my mind why Acura can't put these on at the factory other than they probably have a lame contract with Michelin. I know that there are better tires out there as far as grip is concerned, but I wanted something that would last me till I can afford rims. And the Mugen SS comes before that. :laughing:

·
So Others May Live
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Truckondo said:
I got them about 2 hours ago. Much better grip than stock. I haven't done any crazy launches in them but I did floor it as I was rolling in 1st after 3k rpm and shifted at 8600rpm without any "squealing", but just a little wheel spin at the 2nd gear shift. They also have a pretty good tread life (rated at 40,000 m). It blows my mind why Acura can't put these on at the factory other than they probably have a lame contract with Michelin. I know that there are better tires out there as far as grip is concerned, but I wanted something that would last me till I can afford rims. And the Mugen SS comes before that. :laughing:
You sound exactly like me. I was saying the exact same things to my best friend when he asked about the tires. I just got them a couple days ago UPS Ground from Tire Rack, having them mounted on Monday, but my goal was the same. I wanted a tire with above average treadlife with much better all-around grip than the stock Michelins, and since I can't afford new wheels, no way I'm going to buy a tire that won't last me at least 30,000 miles.

Glad to hear they grip better than stock. I'll have to give them a trial-by-fire once I have them mounted. I'll let you know what happens.

·
Smile For Me Daddy
694 Posts
cai, intake manifold gasket, mugen replica strut bar, maybe springs?

what exactly does a grounding kit do?

·
x type-s club
5,387 Posts
1) get new job
2) spend on mods

LOL

But I would suggest a drop in airfilter??

You can mod your airbox to create better airflow

Grounding kit, and move your ECU ground to the upper part of the engine

Best things to do on a budget IMO, is just to keep the car maintained really well. At least if you cant afford to mod it, you can take really good care of it, ie switch to synthetic motor oil or consider using higher octane gas?

·
Registered
570 Posts
look at my mods, everything has been pretty cheap so far. The intake, and springs ($250), and the header ($350) has been the most expensive so far. Besides my audio equipement and rims that is.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
ShadowOpsRSX said:
From what you described, maybe that's why the 2005 SCCA Solo 2 Rulebook doesn't allow modifications to the rear sway bar. So screw that I guess.
yeah, so loosen your front end links which would equal to getting a smaller front bar :)

im sure it says you cant do that either....but......

·
Smile For Me Daddy
694 Posts
what does the grounding kit do?

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
ShadowOpsRSX said:
Checked for any other threads on this, couldn't find any recent ones. What options are there for NA budget mods, and what have people done on a budget? I just put in a K&N replacement air filter because it's all I had money for after buying new tires. What else could be done to squeeze a few extra horsepower out of the car?
Bang for the buck, gut-stock cat & use a SparkPlug Defouler Simulator under 10 bucks, ESMM 22 dollars at www.Hondawerx.com, Cold Air Intake Club RSX edition 225 dollars here; if thats too much gut the stock air box and K&N Drop-in should be around 40 dollars. These will help you go faster :bow:

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
JohnBlaze said:
Bang for the buck, gut-stock cat & use a SparkPlug Defouler Simulator under 10 bucks, ESMM 22 dollars at www.Hondawerx.com, Cold Air Intake Club RSX edition 225 dollars here. These will help you go faster :bow:
gutting the cat is the STUPIDEST idea ever. you;ll gain 1hp at most and you can stink like rotten eggs.

plus not legal, you will not pass emissions and to replace a cat is big $$$.

plus people with breathing problems and the enviroment suffer from your stupidity.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.