Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've found that the reason of my slow start up is a misfire in the 4th cylinder. I ran a compression test and the 4th is only pushing 30 PSI while the first is running 120 and second is pushing 95. (I didn't bother checking the 3rd bc the 4th is the obvious culprit) It's not the spark plugs or the coils. I'm thinking it can maybe be a worn valve or maybe a burned header. Is there a way to diagnose the actual problem without spending a ton of money fixing something that had nothing to do with the compression? Also I've never seemed to lose power. And I don't really notice the misfire unless I'm hitting 5-6k rpm on 4th gear or when I start up. (it's a little hesitant to start) Also the previous owner never got a valve job done and he had the car when it had about 95k miles and it currently sits at 135k would that be an obvious problem? I'm not too sure what kind of impact a valve job would have on it. Any help? Right now I'm kind of in the dark.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
the 4th is only pushing 30 PSI while the first is running 120 and second is pushing 95. (I didn't bother checking the 3rd bc the 4th is the obvious culprit) ...
Also the previous owner never got a valve job done and he had the car when it had about 95k miles and it currently sits at 135k would that be an obvious problem? I'm not too sure what kind of impact a valve job would have on it. Any help? Right now I'm kind of in the dark.
You should have done #3 too. It would give a more complete picture of the engine's health.

Compression is commonly lost through bad valve to seat seal, or past piston rings. You can add a few drops of oil into the cylinder and test compression. If it increases, the leak is past the rings. A leak down test can rule in/out valves.

By valve job do you mean valve adjustment? If your valves were way out of spec it could affect your compression results. 30PSI though is a little severe and indicates you've got a more severe problem

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Blow air in through the spark plug hole with the valves closed. Air ou the tail pipe, burned/hole in valve, kind of like a reverse compression test. Given you number it should blow ou the pipe (actually hear and feel it), out the intake or through the piston rings--crankcase breather.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Test #3. If it's as bad as #4 it points at a blown head gasket between those cylinders.
If #3 is strong, test the rings by pouring a teaspoon of oil in cylinder 4 and hook up the compression gauge. Turn it over slowly & watch if the compression increases. If it rises by 50% or so, the rings are bad.
If both tests prove inconclusive, suspect a bent valve, broken valve spring or other head-related problem.
Post your results.
In any troubleshooting, make sure you follow a specific path and don't skip steps, even if they're a pain in the ass.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts