Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after installing a borla exhaust, high flow cat, and vibrant race headers, I found that between 1200 rpm ant 1800 rpm the exhaust makes a terrible noise. Also on falling rpm between those numbers it makes an awful farting noise as well. What causes this noise and is there a fix to it?

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
So after installing a borla exhaust, high flow cat, and vibrant race headers, I found that between 1200 rpm ant 1800 rpm the exhaust makes a terrible noise. Also on falling rpm between those numbers it makes an awful farting noise as well. What causes this noise and is there a fix to it?
Well by "farting" noise I assume you are talking about a change in tone? I would recommend a resonator as well. It would help get rid of some of that "fart" noise. Another thing to do is get another muffler. Those also can be a source to "fart" noises. Here is a link to our site with some various resonators. http://www.kseriesparts.com/browse/...Resonators&universal=yes&limit=30&sort=rating

·
Registered
61,559 Posts
:face: Hes probably talking about backfiring. due to the backpressure. its normal. after i put my RBC on when i had i/ex/h my car bubbled and cracked like an srt4 all the time. got kpro and tuned. went away

·
Banned
295 Posts
There is already a resonator on a Borla exhaust.
You should never mate a race header with a cat unless you absolutely have to.
That being said it could be the culprit.

He could be rocking a straight pipe Borla setup.

Regardless, with that setup it shouldn't fart at any rpm especially if its a Type-S.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It does have a resonator, and I don't believe it is backfiring. I have an intake, vibrant headers with a cat, and borla with resonator. It is an airy sound when decending rpm. You can't hear it at all from inside, but standing outside it is a good smooth as sending rpm, but on the way down it just bvvvvvfff for the last 1k rpm ish.. Haha i don't know how to explain it other than it sounds like some crappy 86 civic until you get it about 2k rpm. Mine is a type s, and it also makes a super deep and broken up sound at low rpm Only under load. I am not sure how to fix this... I don't know that kpro would help unless I possibly raised my cam angles for off throttle situations. Maybe if I took a sound clip it would help? Thanks for your help! God I love this forum

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
It does have a resonator, and I don't believe it is backfiring. I have an intake, vibrant headers with a cat, and borla with resonator. It is an airy sound when decending rpm. You can't hear it at all from inside, but standing outside it is a good smooth as sending rpm, but on the way down it just bvvvvvfff for the last 1k rpm ish.. Haha i don't know how to explain it other than it sounds like some crappy 86 civic until you get it about 2k rpm. Mine is a type s, and it also makes a super deep and broken up sound at low rpm Only under load. I am not sure how to fix this... I don't know that kpro would help unless I possibly raised my cam angles for off throttle situations. Maybe if I took a sound clip it would help? Thanks for your help! God I love this forum
Sound clip would be nice. If you post one up I would listen to it.

·
Mech. Eng. Tech.
484 Posts
Do you still have a flex pipe installed? If not, could just be excessive vibration through the engine and into the exhaust piping, rattling against the car.

I had a similar issue in my last car, though I don't know the cause as I didn't really care enough. But definitely, it sounded kinda shitty up to around 2200 rpm. You might be able to hear it in my video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCAezVQ9tR8). But that car also didn't have a mid pipe muffler/resonator.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for the suggestion! I don't think it is vibration. I will take a sound clip later today, but it sounds really airy.. Like the car makes a sigh after reving. I am not sure a better way to explain it haha.. I hear it on other cars with only mufflers.. I guess I thought headers would fix it but it doesn't. If I have my buddy rev it and I stand right by the exhaust there is a significantly larger amount of air that comes out between that rpm

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am not sure how to get the short video i took in the forum so I may link a youtube

·
Pancakes
5,343 Posts
Your answer is buy a different exhaust, they are all going to sound different.

·
The CRSX Philosopher
3,796 Posts
:face: Hes probably talking about backfiring. due to the backpressure. its normal. after i put my RBC on when i had i/ex/h my car bubbled and cracked like an srt4 all the time. got kpro and tuned. went away
Best sound ever IMO. I wish Kpro didn't get rid of mine. :( I love the backfire / gurgle. LS1s and SRT4s are infamous for it.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I agree ^, I must be running lean b/c that happens once in a blue moon and is very faint.. But with kpro you can always re map and make it a bit richer. And my exhaust sounds excellent the way it is minus this low rpm issue.. Still trying to get the video posted. Thanks for the help so far!

·
Registered
61,559 Posts
Best sound ever IMO. I wish Kpro didn't get rid of mine. :( I love the backfire / gurgle. LS1s and SRT4s are infamous for it.

only reason NEONS do it because their fucking horrible intake manifold design. Shits not good

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just trying to figure out that buzz...
So the intake manifold has more to do with the crackle and pop than anything? I'm just wondering because some cars do it because they are Nice.. And other do it because they are srt4.....

1 - 20 of 32 Posts