Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I spun a bearing a couple months ago in my 2005 rsx type-s, and I replaced that bearing hoping it would hold for a long time but sadly it only held for about a month.

The entire engine is knocking and now it struggles to even stay on.

I was wondering if you guys could help me out... I have a few options of what to do.

A.) Take apart the block, take it to the machine shop, get it cut to a bigger size and also bigger pistons.
B.) Get a new motor. Either K20Z1 or K20A1. (Also, would the computer trip if I put the K20A1 in the 2005?)

(Option A & B cost about the same so what would be better?)

C.) Find a cheap base K series from the rsx and just change the flywheel. (Again, would the computer trip if I did that??)

All I want to do is fix it so I can trade it in for something else.

PLEASE HELP!!

·
Registered
544 Posts
So I spun a bearing a couple months ago in my 2005 rsx type-s, and I replaced that bearing hoping it would hold for a long time but sadly it only held for about a month.

The entire engine is knocking and now it struggles to even stay on.

I was wondering if you guys could help me out... I have a few options of what to do.

A.) Take apart the block, take it to the machine shop, get it cut to a bigger size and also bigger pistons.
B.) Get a new motor. Either K20Z1 or K20A1. (Also, would the computer trip if I put the K20A1 in the 2005?)

(Option A & B cost about the same so what would be better?)

C.) Find a cheap base K series from the rsx and just change the flywheel. (Again, would the computer trip if I did that??)

All I want to do is fix it so I can trade it in for something else.

PLEASE HELP!!
A. I would just get a new crank, bearings, and rods because I have heard machining the crank and running oversized bearings would leave you more susceptible to spinning another bearing.
B. Not sure what a k20a1 is, if you meant a2, then yes it would cause complications. find another z1.
C. ...more ecu problems/not running at all.

I would either find a used z1 or replace the bottom end in your current motor. do which ever is cheaper.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A. I would just get a new crank, bearings, and rods because I have heard machining the crank and running oversized bearings would leave you more susceptible to spinning another bearing.
B. Not sure what a k20a1 is, if you meant a2, then yes it would cause complications. find another z1.

I would either find a used z1 or replace the bottom end in your current motor. do which ever is cheaper.
Yeah sorry, meant A2! Well thanks A LOT man!!! I really appreciate your help!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Actually I have another question if you wouldn't mind... since you say replace the bottom end of the motor, couldn't I get like a K24 block or an A2 block and it wouldn't mess with the ecu?? Cause I've seen that done.. idk exactly how though.

·
Mmm, 3rd lobe...
10,462 Posts
You could probably get away with an A2 block, but considering the metal that circulated the engine as the bearing went to shit I would just get another Z1 and part your engine out as is.

·
Mmm, 3rd lobe...
10,462 Posts
what do you mean the metal??
Well, the crank and the piston rod get munched up from all the bashing around. Its fine metal particles that are probably picked up by the oil filter anyway, but seriously you're talking about pulling the engine, swapping the head, etc...

If it were me, I'd sooner swap in a running Z1 and save myself the potential headaches. The head and block are probably fine, so you can sell them to someone that's doing a build who will clean up/machine/etc... during their build.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, the crank and the piston rod get munched up from all the bashing around. Its fine metal particles that are probably picked up by the oil filter anyway, but seriously you're talking about pulling the engine, swapping the head, etc...

If it were me, I'd sooner swap in a running Z1 and save myself the potential headaches. The head and block are probably fine, so you can sell them to someone that's doing a build who will clean up/machine/etc... during their build.
Oh okay.. but I mean I know where I can get a real clean block, with everything included for cheap. Cause I'm not trying to stick around with this car for much longer.

·
Mmm, 3rd lobe...
10,462 Posts
Oh okay.. but I mean I know where I can get a real clean block, with everything included for cheap. Cause I'm not trying to stick around with this car for much longer.
Well on the cheap, you could probably get by with a new crank and new con rods.

You'll need to get in there and look around.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts