Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Lick me
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone done it? I was thinking about doing it after driving a TSX for a week. A lot more usable light.

Sean

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I'm no electrician, but wouldn't it just be a matter of tapping into the dome light wire and running an extension from there to the map lights? But then you lose the functionality of the map lights as actual individual "map lights"....

·
Lick me
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Darth Do'Urden said:
I'm no electrician, but wouldn't it just be a matter of tapping into the dome light wire and running an extension from there to the map lights? But then you lose the functionality of the map lights as actual individual "map lights"....
if they're done properly... they would still function on/off like normal.

·
Blue Beast
1,447 Posts
Yeah you just have to put in a one-way... ummm brain fart... think it was diode... and tap the dome power to run to the map power and they'll function just the same as before along with turning on with the dome light. Although how much light do you really need to get into the car?

·
Lick me
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it would be nice...

the TSX, TL. and RL all have this feature.

·
Registered
626 Posts
kmkze04 said:
Yeah you just have to put in a one-way... ummm brain fart... think it was diode... and tap the dome power to run to the map power and they'll function just the same as before along with turning on with the dome light. Although how much light do you really need to get into the car?
Hmm...I wouldn't see why it wouldn't work using a diode.

·
Blue Beast
1,447 Posts
supa lao said:
Hmm...I wouldn't see why it wouldn't work using a diode.
I didn't say it wouldn't work using a diode...
The diode was to make the power run one-way into the map light system so that when you light up your map light it doesn't turn on your other map and dome lights too.

·
Registered
626 Posts
kmkze04 said:
I didn't say it wouldn't work using a diode...
I know, I was just agreeing w/ you. I was just being lazy and didn't want to think what side the stripe goes on and what kind of trigger is required to turn on/off the map light + what kind of door trigger (or domelight) (haven't looked at schematics, but if it's like most honda's then it's a neg trigger)

·
Blue Beast
1,447 Posts
Ok... well in any case I really don't see the point in making them all turn on anyway haha getting into the car doesn't require that much light if it does then that person probably shouldn't be driving...

·
Blue Beast
1,447 Posts
It might be nice for a showoff but for practical uses its like hooking up exterior neons to your alarm blinker... more or less useless...

·
Lick me
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
how is it not practical? most cars have them all come on with the doors anyway.. they should be that way from the factory.

sean

·
Blue Beast
1,447 Posts
Its not practical in the sense you have to change it to turn on all the lights. Sure if it came from the factory thats fine but having to modify the system for just a little more light you really don't need to get yourself in the car? Nah...

·
Lick me
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
bump for answers.. has anyone done this? heh

·
Lick me
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
bump.

for anyone who cares, my maplights now function with the doors. and fade away with the dome lights. just like the tsx/tl.

sean

·
Registered
147 Posts
ya, you dont wanna do this with out help. i would suggest getting a better battery, then getting a wire with a DPDT switch and a 4.7k resistor depending on the wattage of the map light. then just get a friend to help wire it. but this is just in theory. dont do it with out consulting a pro elec..

·
Lick me
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Kuro243 said:
ya, you dont wanna do this with out help. i would suggest getting a better battery, then getting a wire with a DPDT switch and a 4.7k resistor depending on the wattage of the map light. then just get a friend to help wire it. but this is just in theory. dont do it with out consulting a pro elec..
you make this much more complicated than it is.

this mod was done with the help of an electrical engineer, its fine.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.