Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So guys, I do plan on going FI in the future. But I have been reading/seeing a lot of things on youtube & in articles stating that the k20 engines benefit mostly from tubular manifolds. Yet everywhere I look, the ppl who have gone down the turbo path have the side winder manifold. I’ve only been able to fine one tubular mani that supposedly fits the k20, but its about $1,000. Is the price of the mani why no one uses it?? Or is it just a myth?? Is there currently anyone running a tube mani??

·
Vtec killer + Boost!!!
3,172 Posts
With a tubular manifold you will be cramped up with space and will be limited on turbo size. Just look at your engine now where the header is at and see the limited space you will have fitting a tubular manifold back there, alongside with a turbo. Cybernation made a tubular type manifold and was one of the first kits for the Rsx. My old Greddy kit was a pain in the ass getting the turbo in and out of the cast manifold, I can just imagine what a pain it will be with a tubular setup??

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
I'm confused. I've only ever known "tubular" to mean the manifold was... made of tubes. As opposed to a cast manifold that older Hondas commonly came stock with (an ugly hunk of cast iron with passages inside for the exhaust to move through); or in the case of a turbocharged setup, a cast "log" manifold. Logs can also be fabricated out of stainless tubes, but it's still referred to as a log manifold and not a tubular one. That said, a sidewinder manifold is a tubular manifold. "Sidewinder" just refers to the fact that it's routed sideways along the engine.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
With a tubular manifold you will be cramped up with space and will be limited on turbo size. Just look at your engine now where the header is at and see the limited space you will have fitting a tubular manifold back there, alongside with a turbo. Cybernation made a tubular type manifold and was one of the first kits for the Rsx. My old Greddy kit was a pain in the ass getting the turbo in and out of the cast manifold, I can just imagine what a pain it will be with a tubular setup??
Yeah, I figured it would be pretty tight ? I remember in a youtube vid the dude was saying, “The best manifold for K20 engines is a tubular” something about the way the gases flow downwards or someshit. Maybe I’ll just save the extra $500 & get the sidewinder

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm confused. I've only ever known "tubular" to mean the manifold was... made of tubes. As opposed to a cast manifold that older Hondas commonly came stock with (an ugly hunk of cast iron with passages inside for the exhaust to move through); or in the case of a turbocharged setup, a cast "log" manifold. Logs can also be fabricated out of stainless tubes, but it's still referred to as a log manifold and not a tubular one. That said, a sidewinder manifold is a tubular manifold. "Sidewinder" just refers to the fact that it's routed sideways along the engine.
Yeaaaahh I figured that much. But Whenever I search the online stores I always see an option that says “tubular” or “sidewinder” The ones that just say “tubular” are like, $500 more apposed to the sidewinders. I just figured maybe there was some sort of hp gain due to the direction in which the manifold flows or something?? The only difference really is the “tubular” options have a 90 degree angle and THEN it runs sideways to the engine.

·
Vtec killer + Boost!!!
3,172 Posts
You are correct sir. I should of reponded correctly to the thread starter explaining what "tubular" is, but I already knew what type of manifold he was talking about, so I just broke the details on that type particular type of manifold in an Rsx ?

·
Vtec killer + Boost!!!
3,172 Posts
Yeah, I figured it would be pretty tight ? I remember in a youtube vid the dude was saying, “The best manifold for K20 engines is a tubular” something about the way the gases flow downwards or someshit. Maybe I’ll just save the extra $500 & get the sidewinder
You will make plenty of power with a sidewinder and it's been proven since the old Peakboost sidewinders first came out, which I still am currently running in my set-up ?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You will make plenty of power with a sidewinder and it's been proven since the old Peakboost sidewinders first came out, which I still am currently running in my set-up ?

Sounds good. I won’t waste the 800 on the UPP log style mani then. Im thinking about piecing together my own kit because I’ve seen some bad reviews about the rev9 kit & I’ve heard of cx racing not being the greatest quality. I don’t wanna cheap out on parts & end up like other ppl with cracked manis or blown motors. Wish me luck guys. Thx for all the input

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts