Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard that the 2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege was one of the BEST handling front wheel drive cars ever made, is this true? I also looked the car up and they are indeed forced induction, people told me they are a DINKY turbo but is there any potential to this car? I don't usually see or hear about em'

·
Zilla 4 Rilla ©rew #0
16,800 Posts
ive heard taht they have excellent handeling....but i doubt its the best

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They said the handling IS indeed just as special as the beloved ITR. I was wondering mainly about the power potential, the handling is just a nice bonus. I can't drive a slow car.

·
1 of 1
5,669 Posts
The stock ECU tune sucks balls on those cars and without a nice standalone unit, colder plugs and good tuning, you're not going to be able to run much more boost then stock.

I believe the compression is 10.XX:1 so it's pretttty fucking high for a boosted car out of the factory...it's basically a standard protege n/a motor with a turbo, so the motor was orginally intended for n/a and they boosted it so you have to be careful. But yes they can be fast with the right mods and everything and they do handle like they're on rails. Fucking nuts.

·
Always Brave
67,135 Posts
I rode in one yesterday, stock and it does amazingly well in the suspension department. Sway bars, stock, etc.

Very nice cars. Has to be one of the best out of the box

·
Yeah, it's that big
10,632 Posts
They are indeed excellent handling vehicles. It comes down to driver preference between it and the old ITR, but the ITR certainly has a lot more power. The MSP has a rock-solid chassis.

In terms of best handling front-wheel drivers, I don't think anything beats the Mini Cooper S.... but the MSP is real close. Same idea... solid chassis, tight suspension.

·
1 of 1
5,669 Posts
If the DC5 came with fully aftermarket suspension from the factory i'm sure it would fair a lot better. I mean the car is already modded a TON from the factory. Tokico shocks, strut bracing everywhere, racing beat sways, etc. The car has a ton of aftermarket parts that obivously aren't OEM mazda parts. It's like a modded protege from the factory. Crazy alpine sound system, sparco/momo shift knob + short shifter (depending on year), tons of stuff.

·
Always Brave
67,135 Posts
Importtuner said:
If the DC5 came with fully aftermarket suspension from the factory i'm sure it would fair a lot better. I mean the car is already modded a TON from the factory. Tokico shocks, strut bracing everywhere, racing beat sways, etc. The car has a ton of aftermarket parts that obivously aren't OEM mazda parts. It's like a modded protege from the factory. Crazy alpine sound system, sparco/momo shift knob + short shifter (depending on year), tons of stuff.
Which makes them one of the best handeling cars factory, which is what he's asking.

·
Registered
7,883 Posts
My brother has one.. Not a bad car.
I got him from a roll.. when i had my type S

·
Registered
11 Posts
in deed the msp is the best handling front wheel driver production car in north america. Stock compression is 9.5:1, not 10:0:1 as someone claimed a few posts back. The stock turbo is a t25, which yea is uber small. To get big power, you need to go forged as the rods in those cars are like tooth picks. I almost bought a mazdaspeed, but it had some damage to it, and i almost bought an mp3. They are still some of my favorite cars on the road.

·
fix-a-flat
1,079 Posts
I believe that the MS Protegé is actually a dealer upgraded base. The turbo and other MS upgrades were not done at the factory. Thus the same compression ratio as the N/A version.

·
Registered
21 Posts
DJHonda84 said:
I believe that the MS Protegé is actually a dealer upgraded base. The turbo and other MS upgrades were not done at the factory. Thus the same compression ratio as the N/A version.

That could be the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

·
Registered
44,766 Posts
The MSP really isnt engineered all that well..they put a turbo on an engine that dosent have the internals for it...anything over 10psi and you risk a Blown motor...I have had 3 friends that own one...all of them had the subwofer blow out. 2 of them had the Diff blow up, and one blew his motor driving down the highway. if they had the motor for it the MSP had the potental to be a great car...but in my mind mazda cut to many corners with it.

·
Registered
44,766 Posts
DJHonda84 said:
negative...the MSP is actually a japan produced car...came over in limited numbers sold mainly in the states. In japan it is known as the familia. only 40 MSPs were sold in japan. if I remember right they only made 500 of each color..but i might be off

1 - 20 of 50 Posts