Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I would share this with you guys in the "turbo section". I wanted to give some idea of the kind of gains/dollar you can get out of a 2.0L EJ20 engine.

First off the mods are as follows:

-VF22 - $900
-air-to-water intercooler -$1000
-STi 550cc injectors (complete drop-in units) - $555
-Walbro GSS342 fuel pump (255lph/hi pressure) - $100
-3" MRT turbo back exhaust - $1100
-uppipe (removed cat before turbo) - $210
-AEM CAI - $275
-lightened pullies - $225
-Custom tuned Unichip for ECU control -$650
-Blitz DSBC (to control boost to about 17.5psi) -optional since unichip can control boost as well.

The grand total for all this is about $5015. I dynoed at 265whp and 230wtq. Which assuming about 25% drivetrain loss comes out to 350hp and 300ftlb at the crank.

I am not really trying to brag just letting you know what you can do with a little more money than the cost of a good turbo kit for a RSX. I have yet to run the car at the track becuase I want to get used to the new found power and practice my launches a bit before going.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
For that much money, wouldn't it be more benificial to upgrade the internals and raise boost and possibly gain more hp then what you got?
5 grand can get you more power then 90 horses to the wheels on a turbo charged car can't it?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Acutally the engine internals really aren't the problem. I think if I wanted more HP I would have to up the size of the turbo. We did one run on the dyno at 18.5 psi vs. 17.3psi and we only got about 1hp increase. We had PLENTY of fuel and air but the engine just didn't make much more hp past a certain psi.

I learned first hand that sometimes it's not a limit of the fuel or turbo/air, but the flow through the engine. Basically the engine is just a BIG vacuum/blower. And I guess there is some kind of restirction in the system that just doesn't allow for any more boost to be benificial.

The tuner offered up the explanation of: at a point you get even too much backpressure from the exhaust side of the turbo and you just can't really flow any more air though the system. I imagine with a larger turbo (bigger exhaust wheel side at least) and getting rid of the one cat left in the exhaust track would free up a bit more hp.

I don't really know if 90whp/130hp at flywheel is too bad for $5k. Considering that a good turbo kit for a NA car, such as the RSX, runs anywhere from $3500-$4500, and they will usually net somewhere around 80-120hp at the flywheel from some dyno plots I have seen.

You are right though, compared to Domestic or any V6/V8 application I guess this isn't too good of a dollar/performance ratio. But I don't think it's too bad at all for a 2.0L 4 banger ;).

·
Registered
82 Posts
davidm_sh

Just curious. Where did you get your WRX dynoed. I'm under the impression that there are only 2 true 4wd dynamometer here in the states and they are in SoCal and I believe the other is in Texas.

If indeed in fact you hit 265whp and 230wtq, that's very impressive especially in a 4wd car. :) It was measured on all 4 wheels. I bet you were running rich throughout the power band. Let's see the dyno. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ooopps. Sorry I thought I posted that information. I got the car dynoed at Cobb Tuning in Dallas (~ sea level I suppose). It was dynoed on a Mustang 4 wheel dyno. I personally know of a few awd dynos. There is one up in Denver at a BMW shop (dynopak dyno).

Here is the dyno:

The car was tuned with the UniChip piggyback system. It allowed fine tuning of the A/F ratio and ignition timing. The dyno plot doesn't really show the A/F ratio. But I can tell you this. At the onset of boost up until about 4000k rpms it is in the low 12.x:1 ratio range. Then as the rpms progress towards redline the A/F slowly goes to upper 10.x:1 ratios. Not to rich and not to lean =).

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can only hope for 12's. I know the car is good for it, I just have to work on that dumb 13 second driver :).

·
vwls r fr psss
482 Posts
I seem to remember hearing that mustang dynos tend to be on the conservative side as compared to the dynojet standard . . . . Do you have dyno results from the car in stock trim?

And refresh my memory - how many psi does the WRX run at from the factory?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Daemione - Yah I remember hearing that generally mustang dynos are a little more conservative than most other dynos when it comes to results. I didn't dyno MY car in stock trim but the dyno I was on had about 100+ WRX's in the database from the last year and they showed me that a stock WRX on their dyno was getting about 175whp. So I am about 90whp/130flywheel hp more than a stock WRX.

A stock WRX runs about 13.5-14.2psi stock with the stock turbo flowing about 360cfm. I am running a turbo that flows in the range of 550cfm @ 17.5-18psi now.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The turbo is a Fuji Heavy Industries IHI-VF22 (Completely bolt on turbo). The exhaust housing is pretty small compared to the T3/T04E Garret. But the compressor side is not quite as small as the Garret.

Here is a old picture without my new Wilwood brake kit.

And here is a picture of the front of the car after I installed the heat exchanger for my air-to-water intercooler.

·
Registered
460 Posts
That rear view is slick...but the front :shakehea:

I guess it's good I like that view, but I don't think I would even get to see that one for very long. How much have you sunk into it so far (total)?

·
Ex rsx vs all *********
5,329 Posts
davidm_sh said:
The turbo is a Fuji Heavy Industries IHI-VF22 (Completely bolt on turbo). The exhaust housing is pretty small compared to the T3/T04E Garret. But the compressor side is not quite as small as the Garret.

Here is a old picture without my new Wilwood brake kit.

And here is a picture of the front of the car after I installed the heat exchanger for my air-to-water intercooler.
Very nice:thumbsup:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Reverend - I couldn't agree more with you about the way the front looks [heh]. Someday I will get rid of the stock headlights for the morettes but that is about all I am going to do cosmetically I think.

As far as a grand total for the car... ehhh... I have been putting this off just to keep myself from getting depressed but here goes =).

Engine:
-VF22 - $950
-air-to-water intercooler - $950
-MRT 3" turbo back - $1200
-STi 550cc injectors - $555
-GSS342 Walbro fuel pump - $100
-uppipe - $210
-AEM CAI - $275
-pulleys - $210
-Blitz DSBC - $450
-unichip/dyno - $650
-gauges(boost,A/F,EGT,knock) - $400

Drivetrain/Suspension:
-Brake kit Wilwood 6pot/13" rotor front 4pot/12"rotor rear - $2200
-STi springs/struts - $1000
-Whiteline front/rear swaybars - $230
-17" SSR Competitions + RE730's - $2000

Interior/Strereo
-Window tint and clear bra - $200
-10" sub/Alpine amp/new spearks - $500

TOTAL money wasted :) -------> $12,081 YIKES!! Oh well.

The only things I have left to do are install a catchcan - $50 and put in a lightened flywheel (stock 26-28lbs vs. lightened at 12lbs). Other than that it's pretty much done.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I just wish I had that much to sink into something. I may have to sell my wife...how much are wifes that have been used for three years going for these days. She's should have pretty good resale value, but to be honest I have driven her pretty hard on occasion...:laughing:

·
Ex rsx vs all *********
5,329 Posts
CheezeFrog said:
For $5k, you should be in the 11's! Good HP #'s though. Not sure if it's good enough for 11's, but definately for 12's.
:thumbsup: possibly high 11's

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
wow those are some amazing numbers!!!! very nice

·
Registered
9,936 Posts
That's very nice. You should be running in the low 12 second range! Any nice kills to share?

I was going to get the Cobbs kit, but then I thought I would wait for the STi so that it could be taken to a higher performance limit. Even getting 17 inch rims would be pointless since the STi will come with 17 inch rims, and so the only thing I have now is just EBC, Unichip and up-pipe, which none are installed since I have no free down time right now.

265WHP is like 340HP at the crank with 22% power loss. The tranny should be good for about 400HP, the STi Vi uses the same tranny I think and my neighbor in Japan is putting out close to 400HP on that tranny with no problems. Maybe the STi uses a different tranny, but the US bound WRX got the 2.5RS tranny.

10:1 AF is still a little bit rich. On my 240sx turbo kit with JWT ECU, the AF was 11.xx:1 close to 12:1 at WOT high rpm operation. It is good to run rich for protection, but leaning out slightly at higher rpm promotes better combustion and that leads to more power. Especially with a good intercooling system you should lean out the AF slightly at the top to give it more power.

I think the IHI-VF22 is the same as the IHI 5 series turbo right? You are flowing at that turbo's limit for the amount of HP you are currently putting out.

I have been planning a project for my future STi, and secretly stashing money away on the side just for it. So far I have put away over $7K including my tax return, and I want to get over 400HP out of that monster. My neighbor in Japan will help me source parts from Japan, and I also know a good friend who works for Subaru in the Kobe dealership. My wife doesn't suspect a thing since I got her a new Audi 2.7T, and she doesn't really handle the money since she doesn't work so she doesn't really know that I have money left over every month for stupid crap like this

:laughing:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts