Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
I can get that for you
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The old suspension has a tapered hole where the tie rod would drop in at. The new coilovers don’t. It sits higher than the old setup. Here’s a pic. Any comments? Is this normal ? Am I missing something ? everything ive seen says these should be plug and play. the tie rod ends definitely dont fit. it looks like the hole is inverted... please someone save this noob as my car is sitting on jackstands and i ahd to uber home.
old suspension arm hole where the tie rod sat before ^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
I can get that for you
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
What the f*** ?? It’s completely different and it’s not going to seat correctly.

·
I can get that for you
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just went and bought new outer tie rods from autozone , same thing . Why lord why smack self smack self

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Drill it out, as long as you tighten and cotter pin it, it's safe.

·
I can get that for you
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Drill it out, as long as you tighten and cotter pin it, it's safe.

Great. Love having to do crap like that. Anyone have a X2 on that? Thanks for response though, will bore it out tomorrow if that’s really the only reasonable thing to do. Ugh.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I believe that you'll have to run the stock tie rod inverted on the megan since the hole is tapered upside down instead

·
I can get that for you
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I believe that you'll have to run the stock tie rod inverted on the megan since the hole is tapered upside down instead

So what I just flip the tie rods upside down and have them bolt in from the bottom of the steering arm?? Do I have to be sitting low enough to do this ? I have to jack the suspension up from near the ball joint to get it up over the tie rod ? I’ve never done this so sorry for the questions and I’ve been searching for something on this and have found nothing !! Car is still on jack stands so if someone could help I would be stoked!!!

·
Registered
85 Posts
So what I just flip the tie rods upside down and have them bolt in from the bottom of the steering arm?? Do I have to be sitting low enough to do this ? I have to jack the suspension up from near the ball joint to get it up over the tie rod ? I’ve never done this so sorry for the questions and I’ve been searching for something on this and have found nothing !! Car is still on jack stands so if someone could help I would be stoked!!!

Yes try bolting the tie rod end from the bottom of the steering arm. And yes you probably need to be sitting low enough to avoid the tie rod arm hitting the frame when the suspension isn't compressed. Best to just jack it on the front lower control arm to get it up. let us know how it goes

·
I can get that for you
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I tried to do it today and had no luck. I couldn’t get the tie rod to go in from beneath the steering arm, I didn’t try extending the tie rod , I’m guessing that’s what I need to do that or lower the coilover more, I feel like I lowered it a lot already but we will see. I’m going to have my homie come help me tonight.

·
I can get that for you
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok yeah I had to lower the coils way down for the steering arm to clear the frame, but the tie rods went in great and I still have like a 3 finger gap in the front. So thanks for the advice about flipping the tie rods that was easy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts