Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. This is my first write up, so I hope you guys find it useful.

I have conducted a quick experiment to show the difference between a polish and 2 of Meguiar's off the shelf waxes. I have been using Gold Class wax for a year now and I really like it, but I read good things about the Ultimate wax so I decided to do a comparison. I also threw the Ultimate Polish into the comparison because I wanted to see if it would improve the clarity/reflection.

Conclusion: I prefer the Meguiar's Ultimate Polish + Meguiar's Gold Class Wax combo.

Prepped the panel by washing and drying

From left to right...

1. Nothing
2. Polish
3. Polish + gold class wax
4. Polish + ultimate wax
5. Just gold class wax

Close up of the section with no treatment. Swirl marks are very apparent.

Close up of just the section with polish only. Swirl marks are present but significantly reduced.

Close up of the section with polish and gold class wax. Swirl marks are reduced even more (probably just filled and not removed). The black is much deeper.

Close up of the section with polish and ultimate wax (section with the sun's reflection). The swirl marks are pretty much the same as the section with polish + gold class wax. The only difference is that the ultimate wax does not produce as deep a colour as gold class wax. I would recommend gold class wax for dark coloured cars (only from an aesthetics point of view).

Masking tape removed...the strip in the middle is the polish-only section. This is what the polish-only section looks like compared to untreated.

The strip in the middle is polsih + gold class wax. The difference in colour and swirl mark control is significant.

Similar to the gold class wax, the ultimate wax improves the colour but its not as deep. Benefits of the ultimate wax is that it is actually a sealant and last much longer.

The triangle on the right does not have polish and only gold class wax. As you can see, the gold class wax by itself significantly improves the look of the panel. It is not apparent in this picture, but without the polish the reflection isn't as clean.

I hope the pics were enough to illustrate the difference in the products. Thanks for reading.

·
I Hate Honda's
1,118 Posts
Was that a hand polish or orbital? There are a lot of swirl marks for it to be an orbital...

·
Banned
9 Posts
Adams...........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

·
CHEAP TRACKDAYS WANTED
1,120 Posts
nice. i use meguiars polish , pc7424, lake country orange pads. the polish is just enough for the soft acura clear. wax i use is Natty's paste wax.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies everyone!

nice. i use meguiars polish , pc7424, lake country orange pads. the polish is just enough for the soft acura clear. wax i use is Natty's paste wax.
I'm thinking of getting a pc7424xp as well. I was thinking of using the green pad with the meguiars polish but I guess white/orange is better?

·
Bmore211
3,607 Posts
orange has good cut for Factory clear
If your paint is really scratched up, you will want to go with a compound with a yellow pad for heavy cut

Follow up with polish with a orange pad

Waxes and sealants should be used with the Black or Crimson pads

Gold for glazes.

Green Pads should be mainly used for AIO aka All In Ones. I suggest Pinnacle XMT 360 or Klasse AIO. XMT has some abrasives and provides a little cut. Klasse has no cut but it's considered one of the top AIOs on the market today.

Always do a test spot and lastly, go least aggressive method first on the test spot. With that in mind, polish first in the test spot. If it doesn't remove all swirls and oxidation, move up to compound.

Personally, I use Meguiars Microfiber Cutting pads with Meguiars Microfiber Compound.

Hint: 5in. Pads are much easier to manage for cutting purposes so get a 5in backing plate for your buffer.

Okay I'm done. If anyone needs advice on detailing their car, send me a PM and I'll be glad to lend a hand

·
Registered
49 Posts
M105 and 205 for serious correction. For a one step I just use Menzerna FG400 and you gotta love the Collinite 845. I use a Flex 3401.

·
Registered
423 Posts
If your paint is really scratched up, you will want to go with a compound with a yellow pad for heavy cut

Follow up with polish with a orange pad

Waxes and sealants should be used with the Black or Crimson pads

Gold for glazes.

Green Pads should be mainly used for AIO aka All In Ones. I suggest Pinnacle XMT 360 or Klasse AIO. XMT has some abrasives and provides a little cut. Klasse has no cut but it's considered one of the top AIOs on the market today.

Always do a test spot and lastly, go least aggressive method first on the test spot. With that in mind, polish first in the test spot. If it doesn't remove all swirls and oxidation, move up to compound.

Personally, I use Meguiars Microfiber Cutting pads with Meguiars Microfiber Compound.

Hint: 5in. Pads are much easier to manage for cutting purposes so get a 5in backing plate for your buffer.

Okay I'm done. If anyone needs advice on detailing their car, send me a PM and I'll be glad to lend a hand
I recently switched from traditional pads to MF cutting pads.

Never going back.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts