Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Frosty what's the difference between the Meguiar's Cleaner Wax and the Paint Cleaner in their Deep Crystal System??

Would using Scratch X be better than using the Paint Cleaner to remove oxidation and contaminents from the paint???
I don't want to Claybar because I've never done it before. My car is very clean since I wash it every weekend, there are a few chips and scratches, but I'm hoping the Gold Class Wax will take care of the scratches since they aren't that deep I don't think anyway.

·
Premium Member
20,800 Posts
2002 Type S said:
Frosty what's the difference between the Meguiar's Cleaner Wax and the Paint Cleaner in their Deep Crystal System??

Would using Scratch X be better than using the Paint Cleaner to remove oxidation and contaminents from the paint???
I don't want to Claybar because I've never done it before. My car is very clean since I wash it every weekend, there are a few chips and scratches, but I'm hoping the Gold Class Wax will take care of the scratches since they aren't that deep I don't think anyway.
Okay, the big difference is Cleaner Wax is an all-in-one product. It takes the place of a cleaner, polish and wax system in 1 step. This has it's advantage in that you can be really lazy, but it's also not as controlled.

While I was using the Meguiar's system, I used the Deep Crystal System (DCS) Paint Cleaner once a year to remove any light swirls and to get rid of the layered up wax to prevent yellowing. It's slightly abrasive, so I really didn't want to use it very often.
A cleaner wax is also slightly abrasive, but you use it every time you wax, so there's more chances of causing swirls and damage.

For general bonded crap removal, the DCS Paint Cleaner is better than Scratch-X. I found Scratch-X pretty good for fine scratches and swirls, but it doesn't do much for tar and gunk. A claybar is a lot better than a liquid cleaner, but it's whatever you feel comfortable with.

One thing to note about Gold Class is that it's a wax, it doesn't hide scratches or chips or anything like that. It's not an all-in-one like the cleaner wax. For best results, use the DCS Paint Cleaner, the DCS Polish (or Scratch-X), then the Gold Class wax.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Awesome explanation Frosty!!

That was very helpful since I had no idea what it was that the cleaner wax did! :)
The DCS Cleaner, Polish, and Gold Class Wax is what I am going to use anyway. I just wanted to know which was better between the Scratch X and the DCS Cleaner, since the Scratch X is more expensive. Does using these 3 steps end up hiding slight chips (not deep chips or anything, my car got egged and it took off some of the paint. It's not down to the metal or anything though from what I can tell) and scratches??? Thanks Frosty you're a great help!!

·
Registered
956 Posts
I only saw Meguiar's Gold Class Wax LIQUID at Pep Boys, is this the same stuff you guys are using? S-Curve said to look for Meguiar's Gold Class Wax PASTE. I'm confused once again.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
acumo said:
I only saw Meguiar's Gold Class Wax LIQUID at Pep Boys, is this the same stuff you guys are using? S-Curve said to look for Meguiar's Gold Class Wax PASTE. I'm confused once again.
The liquid and paste are about the same thing. The biggest difference I have found is the way they haze and are buffed off. I prefer the paste when I am working outside. This is because it dries harder and is easier to remove without getting streaks (especially on darker cars). The tradeoff is that it leaves lots of powdery residue behind. This is easily remedied by rinsing the car off and drying.

The liquid is better for inside work. It stays a little moist and requires a little more drying time. It comes off easy if the surface is cool and will not streak this way. There is also not near as much dust left behind like with the paste.

If the liquid is all you can find that will be just fine. Make sure you are in a garage or in the shade for applying it. This will make life much easier.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I can't seem to find the Spun Gold Wash Mitts at Pep Boys. I'm not sure if the normal wash mitts they offer are good. I read the 100% cotten towel thread and I'm still not sure if I will be getting the right wash mitt. I want to get the right stuff for the rejuvenation of my car. I already went to Bed, Bath, and Beyond and got a white Royal Velvet towel for drying.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
you could always cut one of them towels into smaller pieces to use as wash clothes. they hold a lot of water and soap . . .

trim off the edges - you should get two, and maybe three if you cut smaller . ..

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Homer what about those Simoniz 100% Terry Towels, are they any good?? I just bought 3 becuase I'll hopefully be waxing tomorrow weather permitting!!!!

·
Premium Member
20,800 Posts
2002 Type S said:
Homer what about those Simoniz 100% Terry Towels, are they any good?? I just bought 3 becuase I'll hopefully be waxing tomorrow weather permitting!!!!
Simoniz made my blacklist after I bought one of their things long ago... I can't even remember what it was, but I've never been impressed with the quality of their products.

·
Premium Member
20,800 Posts
acumo said:
S-Curve covered most of it.
The paste also has a higher carnauba content, it's a little tougher and it will last a little longer than liquid waxes. I find it takes a lot more rubbing to smooth a paste, I prefer liquids, especially since the frequent rain here will wash away almost anything after a few weeks.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Would using a regular bath towel work just as well??

·
Premium Member
20,800 Posts
2002 Type S said:
Would using a regular bath towel work just as well??
Yeah, you've probably read all the raves about Royal Velvet towels.

When a towel says 100% Cotton (any towel, car towel, bath towel), they are usually only talking about the loops, not the backing which the loops are on. The backing is more often than not made of polyester. Royal Velvet is one of the few brands that uses a 100% cotton backing, which lessens the chance of swirls.

In general, if you blot dry, and don't rub, you won't get swirls with other towels. If Home Outfitters or the Bay has the Royal Velvet bath towels on sale, grab a few white ones.
If not, grab a few good plush bath towels.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I got my Royal Velvet Towel at Bed, Bath, and Beyond, it was 6.99 I think; is this one of the cheap ones Homer2 is talking about? He said the 10-20 ones are the real thing =/. BTW is Charisma better than the Royal Velvet?

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
So the Simoniz Terry Towels aren't a good option to buff off the wax with??

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Frosty

I seen some Meguiar's Proffesional Line products at Canadian Tire this morning.
I was wondering if the Swirl Remover/Cleaner was the same as the DCS Paint Cleaner. And if the Show Car Glaze was the same as the DCS Polish??? Sorry for all of these questions but I'm just really picky when it comes to my car just like everyone else on this board!! Once again thanks for all your help Frosty it's really appreciated :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.