Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

761 - 780 of 832 Posts

·
#Inkpot
4,896 Posts
The more I look into it, the more Im considering just doing the tensioner and calling it a day. I guess theres a way to check the chain health using an OBD reader. I might give that a shot first and see if I really want to get into the chain stuff.

Realistically, I'm never going to make it a go-fast car or beat on it a whole lot. The tensioner is just precautionary so the engine doesnt brick itself. That and the cost difference between the tensioner vs the tensioner+chains+guides+seals+special tools is like $600+

All that said, it doesnt look all that difficult to take this stuff off again if the need were ever to arise.

·
#Inkpot
4,896 Posts
I meaaaan, sure but if the VAG didnt make a shitty tensioner design on these I'd never have to go in here.

Fuggin VAG cars and their(well earned) chain/belt stigmas.

·
Super Moderator
259,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #768
It's getting lighter earlier every morning...good sign.

Too bad it's going to be 2-3 degrees this Friday and Saturday prior to the afternoon, so that's shite.

Ready to get the RSX out of the garage. Need to finish dialing in the suspension, and it should be good to go afterwards. Probably should get some brake rotors eventually.

·
#Inkpot
4,896 Posts
Why was your header wrap smoking the other day? That seemed strange. Was something spilled onto it? Does that just happen when it gets really old and sits around rarely getting driven?
* insert punchline Husky *

·
Super Moderator
259,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #770
I may or may not have installed a different header with fresh header wrap, among other things :shady:

·
#Inkpot
4,896 Posts
Plans are:
-Start it
-Try to remember what was all wrong with it
-Fix what I can afford
-New tires
-Beat on it

Looking at trying the Falken 610K's this time around. Also looking at trying the 510k's for the daily/summer tires.

The only things I remember was the idle was real funky, but that might be due to the ghetto job I did while trying to get that Skunk 2 throttle body failure back together. I literally ran a bead of permatex around the mating surface at the end of the season in an act of lazy desperation.

I never did nail down where the coolant was coming from either. My AFR's were all the fuck over the place in every situation. Again, potentially TB related...

Exhaust rattles, potentially diff noises. Neither should be present.

And last and worst, potentially shot rings. She drinkin oil.

·
#Inkpot
4,896 Posts
Yeah thats where the "taking the year off" thought process came from. I just need it to run long enough for me to make sure the audi maint is done and solid then I think the miata is either going under for big maint or.... its getting a set of tires, a tuning band-aid and getting flogged some more(more likely of the two).

I've kinda lowkey been keeping my eyes out for a cheap crappy 1.8 engine to go to town on. Need to assess long term goals and what the future of this car really is to me. Kinda realizing Ill never be competitive with it anywhere and should hang onto it for a for-fun track-day car. Aka then turbo it after a very mild block build and enjoy it for what it is.

·
Super Moderator
259,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #777
Might be easier to find another 1.8L to refresh out of the car, then pop it in there. They can't be that expensive.

·
#Inkpot
4,896 Posts
Jimmy had a second baby some time ago. I think hes eager to get the car moving again this season in at least some capacity. Kor is buying a trailer at the end of the month. I think Derek and I might cruise down to IL with him to get it.

Randy, is IDK, in BFE MI putting wood in his stove and sending snaps of his Probe lol.

761 - 780 of 832 Posts