Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1421 - 1440 of 1448 Posts

·
#Inkpot
5,212 Posts
Just updated the build thread, figured Id drop the info in here as well

Things have been pretty solid. I was battling a coolant overflow issue for a while. Still not sure if it's been resolved. On the track(very small, almost no prolonged straights, bad for heat), I was getting coolant pushing past the cap and out of the overflow. I replaced the cap with a Stant 20 PSI and it hasnt happened since but it is still getting out of the overflow tank somehow. On track temps have not exceeded ~250. ( I need to address ducting as priority #1 over the winter)

We've pressure tested the coolant system from the cap, all good. We tested the coolant for exhaust gasses while running, all good. Leak down test is good, Compression test was ~150 across all 4 cylinders....

Im left to believe its literally just sloshing around/out of of the overflow under repeated hard braking/turning/accelerating. I'm open to other opinions as well. Either way I ebayed a replacement tank and it arrived appearing to be in worse shape than the one I had but Im giving it a go. Not sure what else to do. Track day Friday at the same place.

All that said, I turned the boost up to ~13 PSI with the use of a MBC. The MBC either wants to give 11-13 and just a smidge of a turn more and it wants to give it 20. No thnx, I was hoping to get to 15, I set boost cut to 16 and the MBC still surged to 20 for a split second. This is the 6-8psi spring with the MBC. I have the 12-14 PSI spring on standby too but I was hoping the MBC would manipulate the boost down the RPM range a bit while making the same amount of boost as the big spring. Makes sense, right? .... right? Im also afraid the 12-14 spring will surge to 16-18 as the 6-8 spring surges to 10.

Heres a recent photo of me doing lead/follow instructing for a RHD Toyota.

·
Super Moderator
259,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,422
Can you do a more robust overflow than the factory plastic piece?

·
#Inkpot
5,212 Posts
There are metal tanks. I guess thatll be my next step. A friend thinks this is still indicative of a HG issue but... until thats for sure Im going to ignore that lol.

·
Super Moderator
259,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,424
Do Miatas generally run into headgasket issues when you boost them?

·
#Inkpot
5,212 Posts
Ive seen a lot hot air being blown around on the subject but in miata forum land its almost always theoretical.

So really, Idk. I dont think so though. Theyre certainly not prone. No one really offers an upgraded one and people tend to use OEM, even in most built applications. It would seem it hasn't been identified as a marketable item.

·
06 PWP Type-S
1,267 Posts

·
#Inkpot
5,212 Posts
K24 swap time.
hnnnnnnnng I have a buddy in the midst of building a big power miata.

Saw a NA built k20 miata at a track day earlier this month as well. He beoke the transtwice in 2 sessions o_O linkage and then blew up 2nd gear.

·
Super Moderator
259,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,429
Coolant leak fixed. New pads installed. Fresh SRF bled.

Alignment tomorrow.

Then Midwest.

·
Super Moderator
259,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,431
One of my front calipers is sticking.

·
Super Moderator
259,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,433
Literally just bled them. Checked the pads, they aren't catching on the calipers.

Just time for a rebuild. Seal kit is on the way.

·
#Inkpot
5,212 Posts
Sheeeeit. How could you tell that was happening??

·
Super Moderator
259,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,435
Drove the car about 2 miles and my bronze wheel was black. Only on one side though.

·
#Inkpot
5,212 Posts
winter wheels/tires achieved.

One season old WS80 Blizzacks on what appears to be Konigs for $350. Pretty excited on this comeup.
Came with winter and summer mats for a GTI which should be an identical fit. Thought I may have to sell the wheels but those should fit too.
1601997272291.png

·
#Inkpot
5,212 Posts
Which also means Ill have a little ice racing in my future this season. Im excite. I do still have to raise the car a smidge.

On the other hand, it looks like miata season is about over. Womp. We were supposed to have one more track day but nah.

·
Super Moderator
259,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,440
Join the club.

Probably will just have the S out for the rest of the season...what's left of it.

1421 - 1440 of 1448 Posts