Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Boost=Good
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience with having a Mikronite treatment done on their transmission gears? I know there have been different attempts to make our trans stronger, but nothing is very successful. I have even been told by a company who does cryo treatments that their results on the RSX trans are not very good. I'm on my 2nd trans now and I would like to get it strengthened when I put my LSD in.

www.mikronite.com
www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=21017

·
Boost=Good
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anybody???

·
Boost=Good
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've seen the thread on K20a.org. I wanted to bring some discussion over here to see if anyone on CRSX has done it. There is a shop (Liberty's Gears) 20 minutes from my house that does it. I'll have to give them a call and see what it costs.

·
Boost=Good
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I called Liberty's Gears (313-278-4040)...
They said that the Mikronite treatment isn't very benficial for adding strength to gears. What it does though is increase the durability because the wear on the gears will be reduced. They also said the common problem with Honda transmissions is that the gears are too brittle. They recommend softening them some. There total process that they do on transmissions to make them the best they can be consists of:
1. Heat treating ($4 / pound)
2. Cryo treatment ($4-$5 / pound)
3. Mikronite treatment ($16/gear, $65 input shaft)

All 3 should be done. Does anyone know the internals of the 6 speed tranny well enough to estimate how much that all would cost?

·
Boost=Good
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm glad to finally have some discussion on this thread!!!

sohfast94, I didn't realize you were doing the mikronite treatment. I should have paid a little more attention on k20a.org! Were you located in Florida or something? I remember looking into the shipping from Michigan (big $) and that's when I started looking for other closer shops that could do it. I think Liberty's Gears might even have been mentioned and since they're 15 minutes from house, I called them. In order to have you do it, I would need to have a shop here pull the trans, ship it to you, treat it, install LSD, ship it back, and have the shop reinstall it. Sounds expensive. Is there a cheap way to ship a trans?

Also, you say cryo is bad according to pro stock guys. According to Liberty's website, they supply the trannies for every "PRO STOCK CAR IN THE NHRA POWERADE DRAG RACING SERIES FOR THE ENTIRE 2005 SEASON." Why would they tell me to cryo if it is bad!!! I not trying to knock you, just trying to learn. Please don't take anything I say in a negative way. I really want to strengthen my tranny and wasting money is not on my list. I don't race or anything, but I want to have confidence in my car.

Thanks for all your expertise!

·
Boost=Good
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Boost=Good
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I will answer this just gimme about an hour I have to go to meeting.... Gotta do some work. lol
Work... Oh ya, that's what I do here! I try to have a nice balance of work (switch design engineer) and clubrsx research! All right, I'll do some work also and check back in an hour!

·
Boost=Good
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
sohfast94, obviously you don't recommend cryo for our application. What about heat treating before mikronite?

You said your price is $1100-$1200 before labor and shipping. What am I looking at for labor cost (w/ install of LSD)? Can you sell me a Quaife or would I need to send that as well? Any recommended shipping company to ship a tranny for cheap?

·
Boost=Good
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
No, now you're mistaking what I said. 1100-1200 fromliberty by the time it all said and done. We charge 1495 plus shipping to do it disasemble and everything. Now since I'm already there I'll instal your LSD's etc free fo charge. There's no sense charging you more except for parts such as bearings and shims if needed to install.
I got it now. Your price is pretty good but shipping would hurt! I'll have to research some shipping company's. Any idea what the total trans weighs so I can get a shipping quote? What's your zip code also?

·
Boost=Good
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Zip is 32117 Daytona Beach, FL
1870 Mason Ave.
Total weight packaged is 111 as weighed by Fedex.
Shipping is much cheaper then I thought! Only $65 each way with FedEx Ground (3 days). I'll let you know what I figure out. How long do you need the tranny for (total time for you to disassemble, treat, install LSD, reassemble)?

·
Boost=Good
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
wow, how much whp could this mikronite treated tranny guarantee on an 06 RSX-S tranny?
I'm not the person to answer this, but I think it's in the 10hp range? I think people would be more likely to do this for the added durability, not so much the power gain. There are a lot cheaper ways to get 10hp!

·
Boost=Good
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
As far as I know this hasn't really been proven yet. Not many (only 1 that I know of) RSX's have it. Plus, you would really need to have a large number of trannys tested to prove any type of numbers. How much power does a stock tranny handle?

·
Boost=Good
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Wow. That's one hell of a surface finish!

·
Boost=Good
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
my tranny is in the process getting treated :p
Please keep us updated on how it goes. What kind of power are you running?

·
Boost=Good
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
I took my car into the shop today. The trans gets dropped on Thursday then I get a box of gears to take into Liberty to get Mikronited.

Anybody who has had this done have any updates? Any failures yet?

·
Boost=Good
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
good news!

I'm on my 3rd RSX and my 4th tranny. Ha! Got you beat by 1. In fact, if you count my current rebuild going on now, it will be my 5th tranny.

·
Boost=Good
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Tranny is apart right now and at Liberty's Gears awaiting Mikronite. :D

·
Boost=Good
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·

·
Boost=Good
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
I've got my car back now. Liberty's Gears ended up giving up me there own version of the Mikronite process. They claim it's better and can do it for a lot less money because they don't have to pay any royalty. It was about $350 for the treatment of everything.
The trans feels great and is very smooth. The notch I used to have going into first is gone and every other gear is nice also. Now we'll just have to see if it holds up to the power.

·
Boost=Good
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
Well, it's a little over a month since I got my car back. It still is working pretty good but I've already had some issues. When I'm driving real hard for a few minutes, it becomes nearly impossible to get the trans into 1st and 2nd gear. I let it cool for about a minute and it's back to normal. I don't think this is related to surface treatment because I had this happen before the treatment.
I changed the trans fluid to Amsoil syncromesh so over the next few weeks we'll see how it works!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.