Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I've installed in my RSX I mishimoto racing thermostat which opens at 140° as opposed to 170ish with stock. I also have a dual core radiator that holds a hell of a lot more coolant and also I mishimoto fan switch which engages at 180 and shuts off at 165 for the temp. No I love the temps on normal drives it doesn't really get above 188ish even with a little bit of throttle play. However with the AC on and sitting or idling for a period of time the temp will climb to upwards of almost 220 if I let it. My question is do you think that the dual core radiator is just too much coolant or should I also upgrade my fans?

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
If your fan switch activated at 180° and deactivated at 165° but you’re hitting 188°, you have air pockets in your coolant.

You should consider putting the factory thermostat and fan switch back in. Your engine is most efficient between 180°-190°. Running it cooler than that has no benefit, and oil temp is crucial to engine longevity. These parts benefit race cars because they have built engines that are constantly running at 7-8k rpms. You have a daily driver with I’m assuming a stock engine, there’s really no benefit.

I’m assuming you have Kpro if you’re looking at ECT? Set your fan switch to come on early if you want, but don’t bother with the thermostat. Honda’s engineers are smarter than Mishimoto’s r&d department.

·
Registered
825 Posts
You need your engine to reach the normal operating temperatures designated by the Honda engineers. Keeping your coolant system at a lower temperature reduces efficiency and the tolerances between parts due to the lack of expansion. Run a good radiator and fan setup with good coolant. Forget a racing thermostat for a daily driver.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts