Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Because my computer sux and it didn't post what I wanted it too. Here is what this post should have said!

Hey. I'm new here and while I don't drive an RSX, my Fiance does, and my sig says it all : ) Or at least she'd like to think it will. Anyway, she has an '03 Base model with sport-tronic trans. I was contemplating having a turbo kit made up for her car. She doesn't want something outrageous, just something that will give her some power (I'd like to see 200hp @ the wheels), and be reliable. Or at least as reliable as can be while sucking boost.

I'm contemplating a small turbo like a Mitsubishi 14B from an eclipse or talon. Should spool up fast and provide the desired power without to much hassle. Also, I'm trying to keep reliability in mind in choosing a small turbo. I really don't want to get to far into electronics with her car, so I'm kinda hoping that I will be able to tune it simply with an Apex'i S-AFC or something like it.

So here is my overall question. Is it possible? I don't plan on building the motor, or changing the compression. Since the compression is already high, it shouldn't take to much boost to make power. I'm thinking no more than 10lbs.

I have a shop that will custom make an exhaust manifold to bolt any turbo to any car, as well as intercooler pipes and so forth. I'm pretty sure it will need a 255lph fuel pump of somekind, and as stated, somekind of piggyback Air/fuel controller, like an AFC.

Do you guys think the trans will hold up? Will the motor hold up? Will an AFC do for tuning the thing? HELP!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried searching and didn't come up with to much, sorry. I hate posting on new boards cuz you never know what has or hasn't been said. What you said, being said (?), do you think it will be possible to run the car with JUST an AFC and 255lph Fuel pump? Car has to remain simple and reliable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanx but uh, NO. If she wanted a Type-S she would've gotten one. She bought a lesser model with the INTENT of putting N2O in it, and later decided to go turbo. The extra cash she'd spend on an S, followed by the cash needed to get the Type-S to 200 WHEEL HP is just about the same as the overall cost of turboing her current car, and nowhere near as awe inspiring. Plus, there is something to be said for BEING a boost junkie, theres something else to be said, when your fiance is one too :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
929 Posts
Hey, Cybernation has a new kit that seems to fit you like a glove! It's deigned to be an affordable, extremely reliable, low boost turbo kit for around 3K. This way you won't have to do everything custom, it's already done for you by a shop that without a doubt, knows their RSX's.

Tuning is very straight forward, just a Black Magic biggy back, you may not even need an s-afc with some of the new electronics they have developed. This is a new kit, so I don't know too much about it (turbo size/type, what new gadgets will be included, exact price, etc.. ). For the most detailed answers you should talk to someone at CN, Lee or Chris are the enlightened ones and are really easy to talk to. #954-523-8483

The auto tranny will hold up as long as you don't go crazy with power. I've seen base auto's with 230-250 whp that are still goin strong. 200 seems like a very safe number. Plenty of power to shock some people when you smoke em in your base auto:nervous:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanx for the info. I tired calling them just now but I got their machine. Left a message with my #, hope fully they'll get back to me. Depending on the size of the turbo I may or may not get the kit. If it is a HUGE turbo making 2psi, its clearly not worth it. With the RSX's HIGH compression (we all know high-comp motors spool turbos faster), I think this car will actually be pretty Torquey with a small enough turbo. I think a T3 or a tiny OEM turbo from a VW (Borg Warner KO3), or a DSM (MHI 14B or 16G) should be more than adequate at creating torque, and producing enough top end to hit the 200whp mark. I also have a call into RIPP Modifications in staten island, NY on creating a custom kit. When they get back to me on price I'll let you guys know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
929 Posts
Cool. The shop is closed on weekends. They are using a turbo much smaller than the T3/T4 for this kit. If they don't get back to you over the phone, try to PM them, they post here regularly: Boost Junkie=Chris, turbotech=Lee.

Be carefull with random shops that want to do custom kits. Traditional methods of boosting B-series that some are used to do not apply to the K-series. The ECU is MUCH more intelligent, it will see boost and throw the car into a protective mode, you will need a piggy back. Cybernation already has a firm grip on the ECU and how to work with it.

Good luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
575 Posts
JM1681 said:
Thanx but uh, NO. If she wanted a Type-S she would've gotten one. She bought a lesser model with the INTENT of putting N2O in it, and later decided to go turbo. The extra cash she'd spend on an S, followed by the cash needed to get the Type-S to 200 WHEEL HP is just about the same as the overall cost of turboing her current car, and nowhere near as awe inspiring. Plus, there is something to be said for BEING a boost junkie, theres something else to be said, when your fiance is one too :D
Not really man....
The TYpe S and base ss are about $1000 difference.
To get to 200whp on an S, you would need, intake, r header, exhaust, hondata... THat would cost less than $2K
Turbo would cost at least $3500 for the auto and would still be slower than the S due to the auto tranny.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,184 Posts
MugenHonda said:
Not really man....
The TYpe S and base ss are about $1000 difference.
To get to 200whp on an S, you would need, intake, r header, exhaust, hondata... THat would cost less than $2K
Turbo would cost at least $3500 for the auto and would still be slower than the S due to the auto tranny.

the type S and base only have 1000 difference?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
As quoted by my buddy at Paddock. $3000 with a refurbed 14B, installed and tuned. 200 whp, NOOOO problem. Considering she paid 18 for her auto, base model, I'd say some of you got screwed. Also, once the car is tuned, the power doesn't stop. If I want to add more boost and bring the whp up, the motor and trans have been proven to take it. Also, anyone running a manual trans with turbo? You may notice, when you shift, the boost gauge drops. But, uh yeah, since the throttle plate doesn't close in an automatic, its never off boost. Also, is there anyone here that can shift their 5 speed faster than an automatic can shift? Not trying to sound like a dick here, but a 200whp, turbo, automatic RSX -vs- a 200whp, natty asp, manual type-s, I'd be confident the auto will win everytime. I love driving a 5 speed as much as the next guy, but, when the whp is the same, you can't outshift an automatic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
464 Posts
JM1681 said:
Because my computer sux and it didn't post what I wanted it too. Here is what this post should have said!

Hey. I'm new here and while I don't drive an RSX, my Fiance does, and my sig says it all : ) Or at least she'd like to think it will. Anyway, she has an '03 Base model with sport-tronic trans. I was contemplating having a turbo kit made up for her car. She doesn't want something outrageous, just something that will give her some power (I'd like to see 200hp @ the wheels), and be reliable. Or at least as reliable as can be while sucking boost.

I'm contemplating a small turbo like a Mitsubishi 14B from an eclipse or talon. Should spool up fast and provide the desired power without to much hassle. Also, I'm trying to keep reliability in mind in choosing a small turbo. I really don't want to get to far into electronics with her car, so I'm kinda hoping that I will be able to tune it simply with an Apex'i S-AFC or something like it.

So here is my overall question. Is it possible? I don't plan on building the motor, or changing the compression. Since the compression is already high, it shouldn't take to much boost to make power. I'm thinking no more than 10lbs.

I have a shop that will custom make an exhaust manifold to bolt any turbo to any car, as well as intercooler pipes and so forth. I'm pretty sure it will need a 255lph fuel pump of somekind, and as stated, somekind of piggyback Air/fuel controller, like an AFC.

Do you guys think the trans will hold up? Will the motor hold up? Will an AFC do for tuning the thing? HELP!!!!
Cybernation does carry a turbo kit for your car. For the auto we do not recommend more then 225 to the wheel. This should be safe enough for the auto trans and base model pistons. If you are interested or want more information give us a call at the shop and ask for chris or lee.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
174 Posts
JM1681 said:
Not trying to sound like a dick here, but a 200whp, turbo, automatic RSX -vs- a 200whp, natty asp, manual type-s, I'd be confident the auto will win everytime. I love driving a 5 speed as much as the next guy, but, when the whp is the same, you can't outshift an automatic.
I'll take you up on that offer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I should've said that better. In a turbo car vs. turbo car battle:

The throttle plate in an Automatic does NOT close when it shifts. Therefore, If you have your foot down, and don't take it off, your boost NEVER falls down, until you take your foot off. In a manual, you will always, have a second or so of boost recovery time between shifts. Unless, you never take your foot off the gas and just burn through the gears, in which case, I don't know how long a tranny could live with that abuse.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
do you really think your going to loose that much boost in shifting??? And you don't think your auto tranny take more abuse by it's method of shifting? I don't beleive powershiting would be needed to make up for this. don't underestimate some of our member driving abilites ;)

I will agree I've seen auto supra tt smoke the shit outta manual cars, but you are talking about the stock RSX auto tranny. which isn't as hardy as the stick.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Uh actually you lose ALL of it. Unless you shift with your foot on the floor, the throttle closes, and your motor goes straight off boost and into vacuum. I underestimate no one. I'm quite a quick shifter, and still, an auto shifts faster with NO boost drop. With the low boost and overall low power levels expected, I'm not at all worried about the auto trans. We're talking about 200whp.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top