Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an 05 RSX-S. It has pirelli pzero nero on it firght now (high performance all seasons). The front ones are worn, but the rears look pretty good. I have a couple of tire questions:

1. Can I run summers up front and all seasons in the rear in the summer, and then winters up front and all seasons in the rear in winter? I'm thinking that this will save me some cash, and that I can get away with it in an FWD car.

2. Looking for some good summer tires. For DD use, but with good grip, decent treadwear that won't break the bank. Suggestions??

·
CRSX Veteran
209 Posts
1. You could, in the sense that the car will drive fine and it's not going to make you crash or anything, but the impact on performance and predictability is impossible to say. Generally speaking, you would be wisest to have matching tires all around. There are some great options in RSX sizes that will last you 30,000+ miles and cost less than $500 for a full set.

2. Take any of the top 3-4 on Tirerack's rankings for ultra or max performance summer tires that fit within you budget.

One last piece of advice: Tires are the single most important piece of equipment you put on your car. They are not the place to cut corners to save money. That being said, if you are only DD-ing, peak grip should be a very minor influence on what you buy. If you need winter tires and don't want to deal with the hassle of swapping rubber every season, get a cheap set of winter wheels. I just got back from Canada and every non-AWD car there had cheap steel wheels (minus hubcaps) with winter tires on.

Cheers and let us know what you end up with!

·
Poetic Finesse
1,457 Posts
If you really don't have the funds to get a winter set and summer set of tires then look into getting a set of continental extremecontact DWS. Pretty damn good tire for an all-season

·
05 Type S RH Reflash LSD
2,204 Posts
If you really don't have the funds to get a winter set and summer set of tires then look into getting a set of continental extremecontact DWS. Pretty damn good tire for an all-season
:iamwiths: but you will not be a beast in a snow storm or in an autocross course, but otherwise they are really decent for all year round.
But yeah the major reason why you want the tire performance to match is when fishtailing. Your rear tires with lesser performance (either in the snow or in the summer) will continue to slide even if you hit your brakes. You have to DRIVE out of it (apply throttle), as your front tires still have grip and can pull the rear end back in. This takes a decent amount of skill/quick-thinking if it happens with matched tires, so you will either have to be a boss or be dangerous to everyone else, and yourself.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts