Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. Might be the wrong sectiong to post this in BUT, what do you guys think would be a best bang for buck mod for an 06 RSX auto with 74k miles?(I will be swapping tranny for 6spd manual after I lower the car) Engine/frank swap? Turbo kit? All motor build?? Full bolt-ons & reflash or kpro?? I’ve only owned the car for about 2 weeks & I’m just tired of getting walked on by almost everything I race Lol also

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lol yes I know the hype s is better but I grabbed this one from a dealership & it literally was like a brand new car. Aside from a bit of rust on the control arms & exhaust. Everything was mint. Even had papers from when the owner first brought the car back in 06. I gotta pay the hoe off. In FL where i am, theres barely any type s for sell & if they are, then they’re in bad shape. & I needed a car asap sooooo....

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
what he said^
Our cars will never be fast dude, that's just the way it is. The tranny eats up something like 30%-34% of our crank power. Tranny swap will cost a pretty penny unless you're doing labor yourself.

Even with I/h/e and reflash, I can barely outrun other cars. People will pull buses on you unless you drop large amounts of money on the thing. By large amounts, I mean amounts more than the value of the car.

·
Aspiring Race Car Driver
76 Posts
Lol yes I know the hype s is better but I grabbed this one from a dealership & it literally was like a brand new car. Aside from a bit of rust on the control arms & exhaust. Everything was mint. Even had papers from when the owner first brought the car back in 06. I gotta pay the hoe off. In FL where i am, theres barely any type s for sell & if they are, then they’re in bad shape. & I needed a car asap sooooo....

While it may be in good condition, that unfortunately won't make it fast. Turbo/Engine swap will cost you a lot more than a Type S in similar condition.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
what he said^
Our cars will never be fast dude, that's just the way it is. The tranny eats up something like 30%-34% of our crank power. Tranny swap will cost a pretty penny unless you're doing labor yourself.

Even with I/h/e and reflash, I can barely outrun other cars. People will pull buses on you unless you drop large amounts of money on the thing. By large amounts, I mean amounts more than the value of the car.

While it may be in good condition, that unfortunately won't make it fast. Turbo/Engine swap will cost you a lot more than a Type S in similar condition.

Yeah I did read a lot of that stuff. Im pretty much stuck with the car. Like, my goals aren’t really to make a track car faster than everything on the road. I really just want a more enjoyable DD. & I am doing all the work myself. I go to college and in my class they have a pretty sizey work area. I do understand what you guys are saying & I def would have got a the S(whether in worse condition or not) but both my parents are like, full on, non car ppl. My mum bitched about me having the previous manual car i had & all my dad knows is big engine=big no no ? So like, i have to buy shit like this until i finish college

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Yeah I did read a lot of that stuff. Im pretty much stuck with the car. Like, my goals aren’t really to make a track car faster than everything on the road. I really just want a more enjoyable DD. & I am doing all the work myself. I go to college and in my class they have a pretty sizey work area. I do understand what you guys are saying & I def would have got a the S(whether in worse condition or not) but both my parents are like, full on, non car ppl. My mum bitched about me having the previous manual car i had & all my dad knows is big engine=big no no ? So like, i have to buy shit like this until i finish college
In that case, definitely get bolts ons and a reflash. It certainly made my car much more enjoyable. Although, I wish I did the suspension before I did bolt ons. I only did the sway bars and strut braces and even those made it more enjoyable.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In that case, definitely get bolts ons and a reflash. It certainly made my car much more enjoyable. Although, I wish I did the suspension before I did bolt ons. I only did the sway bars and strut braces and even those made it more enjoyable.[/QUOTE]

I see. So after coilovers then just bolt up & hope for the best lol. Well, thx for the input. I still just might turbo it just for the hell out it. My college campus has 6 dc2 & i think 3 of them are turbo’d. I wanna join the FI ranks lol

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Base auto? Best bang for buck would be suspension, brakes, and an aggressive alignment.
I hear yuh. It won’t be auto for too long. That being said, should I go ahead & toss on a stage 2 clutch & short shifter?? ALSO, since im going to need a manual ecu, couldnt i just buy the ecu, send it to hondata for the kpro or whatever, then get it reflashed for any bolt ons??

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
https://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=1023025

Apparently the base's internals and the auto transmission can handle 300whp just fine. Go turbo, don't waste your time with bolt-ons on an A3 if power is what's really getting you down... or just trade it in for something with a bigger engine. There are plenty of much faster cars out there for under $10k.

I've only done suspension on mine (coilovers, sway bars, strut bars, poly bushings), but I have twisty roads local to actually get use out of it. Still need wider wheels for more rubber, and I want to go stiffer still with the rear sway. The car's still pathetic against most others in traffic, but when I seem to be able to keep up with a WRX in the corners despite my little 215mm tires I quickly stop caring.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I hear yuh. It won’t be auto for too long. That being said, should I go ahead & toss on a stage 2 clutch & short shifter?? ALSO, since im going to need a manual ecu, couldnt i just buy the ecu, send it to hondata for the kpro or whatever, then get it reflashed for any bolt ons??
Let's narrow this down a bit with a couple questions:

What's your budget?

What's your goals?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
https://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=1023025

Apparently the base's internals and the auto transmission can handle 300whp just fine. Go turbo, don't waste your time with bolt-ons on an A3 if power is what's really getting you down... or just trade it in for something with a bigger engine. There are plenty of much faster cars out there for under $10k.

I've only done suspension on mine (coilovers, sway bars, strut bars, poly bushings), but I have twisty roads local to actually get use out of it. Still need wider wheels for more rubber, and I want to go stiffer still with the rear sway. The car's still pathetic against most others in traffic, but when I seem to be able to keep up with a WRX in the corners despite my little 215mm tires I quickly stop caring.

I live in Fl so twisty roads are rare lol. I might go for it anyway. Make the ride more enjoyable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Let's narrow this down a bit with a couple questions:

What's your budget?

What's your goals?

Budget: Maybe 4K

Goals: (All work done by myself) Mainly a tranny swap to manual. I am still in college for one more year tho. So I’m thinking the main goal is to swap the tranny & get some quick power to last me until I finish college and can go FI

·
Registered
113 Posts
Don't take this the wrong way, but if you are looking for straight line speed you bought the wrong car, and the worst version of the RSX. In my opinion I'd recommend you save your money and buy a faster car when you are done college. If you really want to make your RSX fast with that budget, I'd say ditch the manual swap and just turbocharge it with the automatic.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Don't take this the wrong way, but if you are looking for straight line speed you bought the wrong car, and the worst version of the RSX. In my opinion I'd recommend you save your money and buy a faster car when you are done college. If you really want to make your RSX fast with that budget, I'd say ditch the manual swap and just turbocharge it with the automatic.

I enjoy str8 line speed but it isn’t my ultimate goal. I do know the RSX is great for cornering. I usually take corners at 80mph at 6rpm lol. But if I try to turbocharge it with the automatic, wouldnt I have to get run 2 ecus and buy the boomsling harness?? Isn’t that more money in the long run? My college class has a workshop so I can do all of the work in there.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I enjoy str8 line speed but it isn’t my ultimate goal. I do know the RSX is great for cornering. I usually take corners at 80mph at 6rpm lol. But if I try to turbocharge it with the automatic, wouldnt I have to get run 2 ecus and buy the boomsling harness?? Isn’t that more money in the long run? My college class has a workshop so I can do all of the work in there.

Won’t need to run 2 ECU’s if you get Ktuner over Kpro

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I see I kinda hate the auto trans anyway. But maybe I will boost it while it’s auto & later down the road swap it for manual.

That's the spirit :thumbsup:
If you end up running a turbo, look into getting the tranny built. There's an old member on here that ran a turbo on his auto and he sent his tranny to a company called IPT. Had stronger internals that could handle the boost. However, it wasn't cheap if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That's the spirit :thumbsup:

If you end up running a turbo, look into getting the tranny built. There's an old member on here that ran a turbo on his auto and he sent his tranny to a company called IPT. Had stronger internals that could handle the boost. However, it wasn't cheap if I remember correctly.

The only thing is....the car is my daily I don’t wanna be out of it for more than like, 2 days. Plus, Idk if I wanna drop money in the tranny if Im just gonna swap it out. I doubt somebody would wanna buy an upgraded rsx auto tranny but I could be wrong ??*♂ If I can get ktuner on the auto ecu then I’ll def go for it. But so far, I’ve only seen everyone using kpro. So i have no idea how to acquire ktuner for the auto

1 - 20 of 43 Posts