Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in PA and the roads here are lacking. We don't have to many potholes besides in my alley but alot of construction work has been happening and there are a lot of manholes I just fall right into their always in the middle of the road. I wondered about coilovers but from what I've read they are far less comfortable which makes sense. My dad has said I should get progressive rate springs and new fresh struts which should probably be pretty cheap would that really improve the car much though. I'm also looking to drop it as well about 1-2 inches but I really love the stock look and I'll take comfort over the clean drop. My question really just is should I try what my dad said or just wait and get fancy air suspension?

My uncle just painted the car for me btw

·
Super Moderator
259,512 Posts
Koni Yellows would be a great choice for struts as well.

If you can find ASpec suspension or Mugen SS, those are options as well.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Spend $500-600 on this set up and you'll be very happy. OEM quality with sport-ability.

Struts
Lowering Springs
Do you have these installed on your RSX? Are they comfortable like OEM or ASPEC? I suspect my ASPEC suspension is on its way out only after 40K miles but I don't want to go coilovers nor do I want to spend another $600 on ASPEC if they are just going to fail again.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Do you have these installed on your RSX? Are they comfortable like OEM or ASPEC? I suspect my ASPEC suspension is on its way out only after 40K miles but I don't want to go coilovers nor do I want to spend another $600 on ASPEC if they are just going to fail again.
I do not have this setup currently installed, however, it is what I intend to do in the coming months. I've had a set of used A-Spec suspension installed and I'm sure they're starting to get tired now.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
I can't imagine anything being more comfortable than stock. I have no experience with aftermarket air ride, though. Tein's H-Tech springs sound like they're more comfort-oriented (they are progressive rate, and designed to be used with stock struts), maybe look for reviews on those? I have Mugen SS on my car (bought new/unused from a member on here), and it's not noticeably harsher than stock but the improvement in handling, combined with Eibach sway bars, was great... still, this is not what I'd consider truly comfortable. The RSX is just the wrong car if you care about that. The harsher bumps in the road are still a bit jarring on the Mugen, especially on my 3-season 17" wheels.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I can't imagine anything being more comfortable than stock. I have no experience with aftermarket air ride, though. Tein's H-Tech springs sound like they're more comfort-oriented (they are progressive rate, and designed to be used with stock struts), maybe look for reviews on those? I have Mugen SS on my car (bought new/unused from a member on here), and it's not noticeably harsher than stock but the improvement in handling, combined with Eibach sway bars, was great... still, this is not what I'd consider truly comfortable. The RSX is just the wrong car if you care about that. The harsher bumps in the road are still a bit jarring on the Mugen, especially on my 3-season 17" wheels.
Yeah, the most I research, the more I come to realize that no coilovers will come close to stock/A-spec comfort. I live in St Pete Florida so the roads are pretty much perfect compare to anywhere else. My commute doesn't involve too many highspeed turns. The A-specs were perfect because they gave some drop without messing up the comfort. But the durability is a joke for being OEM. 40K miles / 2.5 years is not acceptable.

From what I can tell, if you put coilovers to their softest setting, they become bouncy. Is that accurate?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the H-Tech from Tein and I love the results. Took away a good bit of wheel gap and as stated above I got keep my oem struts and kept oem bump stops and never bottomed out on these. I did however need to install camber kit. After they settled got about -1.4" in front and -1.2" in rear.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have the H-Tech from Tein and I love the results. Took away a good bit of wheel gap and as stated above I got keep my oem struts and kept oem bump stops and never bottomed out on these. I did however need to install camber kit. After they settled got about -1.4" in front and -1.2" in rear.
Those H-Tech springs look awesome and their cheapxD. All the reviews say it feel like oem so I think I'll be getting those very soon!

·
Registered
192 Posts
So the squeaky noise and issues I was having with the A-Spec suspension was actually caused by some worn bushing for the lower control arms in the rear. That being the case, for ~$600, I am definitely still enjoy and would recommend the A-Spec suspension. The drop is minimal and honestly you would probably ask for another inch more to make it look good, but its miles better than the 4x4 stock height. Comfort is the same as stock. If you want better handling/less bodyroll, get a Progress rear sway bar.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts