Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate to start another one of these but none of the ones I have read have really answered my question. I have 2002 base rsx with 175k miles and have a torn front motor mount, the one on the passenger side front. It has been bad for about a year, makes the car vibrate really bad in the winter but in the summer its not as bad. Anyway I'd like to replace it but the part from the local acura dealer is 250 bucks, rock auto and amazon have some for 35-50 bucks. I want as close to a stock ride as possible, my car is bone stock and won't be doing any mods, need this car to hold up for another year to get my through school. Ive seen brands like DEA, Anchor, westar, and motoring and was curious if I'm wasting 50 bucks by going with those brands? I dont need it to last 10 years like that stock one but I don't want it to break in 3 months either. I don't track my car or anything but have a little fun on the streets every now and then, I'm not worried about wheel hop, comfort is my only concern. If anyone has any experience or advice on the matter it would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
245 Posts
my front motor mount is broken and i've done my research of the cheaper OEM mounts. i couldnt find reviews for RSXs regarding DEA mounts and etc, so i read reviews on Acura TL forums and stuff. From what i read the other mounts have poor fitment and excessive vibrations vs stock mounts. I read reviews about DEA mounts for jap and american cars and no one seems to give a good review.

im going to purchase a honda OEM part because its a guaranteed fit and will work flawlessly.

·
2night I wear a small hat
8,649 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
I personally kind of regret going with innovative. If I did it again I would go with hardrace, vibratechnics (spelling?) or hasport.

edit: when it's cold they vibrate like crazy but hardrace is rubber so it will last longer than poly and not be as harsh

·
Former Mod-Still a God
209,103 Posts
my front motor mount is broken and i've done my research of the cheaper OEM mounts. i couldnt find reviews for RSXs regarding DEA mounts and etc, so i read reviews on Acura TL forums and stuff. From what i read the other mounts have poor fitment and excessive vibrations vs stock mounts. I read reviews about DEA mounts for jap and american cars and no one seems to give a good review.

im going to purchase a honda OEM part because its a guaranteed fit and will work flawlessly.
So is it the front mount or passenger side? here is an OEM front one for $123.00

http://www.kseriesparts.com/cr/HON-50840-S6M-010.html

Passenger Side here for $205.00

http://www.kseriesparts.com/cr/HON-50820-S6M-023.html

Hasport here for $115.00

http://www.kseriesparts.com/cr/HAS-HP-DC5RH.html

These will last a while if your not :vtec:ing everywhere. as for the ones you mentioned I am not sure how well they will hold up hope this helps
Sounds like good answers to me

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm planning to replace all 4 mounts this weekend with cheapo ebay mounts. They advertise a 5 year warranty on them.

I'll report back with a review of how the feel if everything goes well this weekend.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Update:

Complete 4 mount kit from this ebay seller - $129 shipped and 5 yr warranty

http://www.ebay.com/itm/02-06-Acura-RSX-2-0L-Engine-Motor-Mount-w-AT-4-PCS-A6597-A4567-A4508-A4506-/271172484365?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make:Acura|Model:RSX&hash=item3f2323bd0d&vxp=mtr

I installed them last night and here are my thoughts:

-No issues with fit and finish

-The kit seemed to be sourced from several different manufacturers. The front mount was branded as "tenacity" while the others were unmarked but were wrapped in different bags

-The rubber is not as stiff as OEM. My original trans mount and front motor mount were completely torn so I couldn't compare with the new ones but the OEM right and rear mounts were noticeably stiffer than the aftermarket. There was a noticeably difference in weight as well.

In the end, I changed out the trans, front, and rear mounts. The OEM right mount was in good shape so I kept it in the car. The rear was in good shape as well but showed tiny surface tears so I went ahead and swapped it.

On a 10 mile test drive, it drove fine, felt no vibrations sitting at stop lights, and no clunks while shifting into park/reverse/drive.

I can't predict how long these mounts will last but so far, I am pleased.

·
05 Type S RH Reflash LSD
2,183 Posts
I personally kind of regret going with innovative. If I did it again I would go with hardrace, vibratechnics (spelling?) or hasport.

edit: when it's cold they vibrate like crazy but hardrace is rubber so it will last longer than poly and not be as harsh
FYI, HardRace rubber still gets "wooden" when cold (just like summer tires will) and thus yes they get louder below 50F. Below 30F they get quite vibey. At 0F, well... you just hope they vibrate up to a warmer temp :p

But OP, you could try and find a used OEM passenger side mount for a good compromise

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yep that is the best deal around for stock mounts. It's better than local buys too because the rear mount lock washers don't break loose and spin like some.

Update:

Complete 4 mount kit from this ebay seller - $129 shipped and 5 yr warranty

http://www.ebay.com/itm/02-06-Acura-RSX-2-0L-Engine-Motor-Mount-w-AT-4-PCS-A6597-A4567-A4508-A4506-/271172484365?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make:Acura|Model:RSX&hash=item3f2323bd0d&vxp=mtr

I installed them last night and here are my thoughts:

-No issues with fit and finish

-The kit seemed to be sourced from several different manufacturers. The front mount was branded as "tenacity" while the others were unmarked but were wrapped in different bags

-The rubber is not as stiff as OEM. My original trans mount and front motor mount were completely torn so I couldn't compare with the new ones but the OEM right and rear mounts were noticeably stiffer than the aftermarket. There was a noticeably difference in weight as well.

In the end, I changed out the trans, front, and rear mounts. The OEM right mount was in good shape so I kept it in the car. The rear was in good shape as well but showed tiny surface tears so I went ahead and swapped it.

On a 10 mile test drive, it drove fine, felt no vibrations sitting at stop lights, and no clunks while shifting into park/reverse/drive.

I can't predict how long these mounts will last but so far, I am pleased.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Engine Mounts Replaced 5 Times on '06 RSX (108k Miles)

At 95,000 miles my engine mounts cracked. ACURA said I needed new engine and trans mounts, quoted $2100. Instead, I took it to Firestone, who replaced all mounts with OEM parts. Three mounts were cracked within 30 days, so Firestone replaced them again. Two mounts were cracked again within 2 weeks. Firestone spoke with the manufacturer and replaced them again, said it might be worth having ACURA do a full replacement because they don't trust the quality of the OEM parts. Within 3 months the car was vibrating again. Took it to a small mechanic specializing in foreign cars. He replaced the 4 engine mounts. A few months later, he adjusted one of the mounts due to excessive vibration. It has been 8 months, the car is starting to vibrate again. I was just told the front, passenger mount is cracked. I know it will get worse as the weather turns cold, then the others will crack. I don't know what to do. I have $1400 already invested in the situation - not sure how to make a good financial decision here. I have never raced my car. It has never been on a track. I consider myself to be a spirited driver - compared to other women in their 30's.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ive had my front passenger mount cracked for almost a year now and the others have held fine. Thats also with 175K miles on all of them and while my car has never been tracked or raced either, I also do some spirited driving. I'd also be willing to bet my definition as "spirited driving" as a 24 year old male is a little harder on those mounts than yours. So I think that points to another problem thats causing all your mount to fail so quickly. I have no idea what that could be, maybe a transmission mount, or a fluid leaking onto the mounts heating them up causing them to fail, but at this someone would have had to of seen that.

·
05 Type S RH Reflash LSD
2,183 Posts
I am a very spirited driver and I replaced my OEM mounts with HardRace only because I installed a header. All of them looked fine. That was at 130k with 50k of them being mine. Perhaps you are doing something wrong (sorry, but trying to help). Do you revmatch gears when downshifting? Do you apply some throttle as you land the clutch? I don't understand though why you have $1400 invested in this because you should've only had to pay once. Hope you find some resolution. Maybe have a friend ride with you and critique how you drive stick? idk

·
Registered
390 Posts
Hi I just got all four mounts replaced with Acura parts and I've been kind of scared to do any sort of launching or power shifting ever since. If I don't drag or do any type of racing but i like to do an occasional 3-4k launch on the streets/fwy entrance every now and then the mounts should last a while right? Also, I do rev match and I do give throttle when up shifting so it's smoother

·
05 Type S RH Reflash LSD
2,183 Posts
My 8-yr-old Acura mounts looked barely worn after 130k, and my car hasn't been driven perfectly. However, I have not done 3-4k launches much. If you get a lot of wheel hop, figure out a different launch. Not sure about the powershifting either :noes:. Otherwise, sounds like you're doing great, but the harsh things will negate all the good you do. Just don't try to break it! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have 174k miles on my 02 Type S, and recently replaced the front mount for the third time. I am going to add urethane chalking to the void at the mount for added support. Hope this is the last mount I need to replace.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts