Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
You can use whatever you want regardless of your mileage. I don’t see any logical reason that you’d want to use either of those though.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I'm actually thinking of doing the same, just in hopes of compensating for wear in my nearly 300k mile base. It's definitely starting to sound its age, so I'm debating how much money I really want to put into maintaining the A3 vs starting to piece together the K24A2 swap I really want. Next oil change is going to get 5W-30 (Mobil 1 full synthetic, which is what I've always used in this car). It'll be interesting to see if I notice any difference other than a bit of a drop in fuel economy from the increased thickness.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
5w/30? -why not
There wouldn't be anything wrong with using it, but what's the point? It may be beneficial if you have a lot of miles on the car, but it's just putting a bandaid on what will likely be an eventual rebuild.

It's been thrown around on here that the Base RSX oil recommendation was only to meet LEV-2 standards, but I haven't seen anyone report engine damage from using the recommended oil. To me, the car seems more enjoyable to drive with the 5w/20. Fuel economy and idle were slightly different, but I found no reason to stick with the heavier oil.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts