Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After seeing that there was no one willing to be a guinee pig for the Mr. Clean Autodry in the other threads, I decided to go out on my own and give this thing a shot.

Contents

The box comes with Mr. Clean Autodry hose attatchment, 1 starter filter (3 uses) , and 1 bottle of starter car wash (about 3-4 uses).

Construction

As most of you already know, the Mr. Clean Autodry is a hose attachment. The construction of the entire housing is made from ABS plastic. It's got a little bit of heft, and it seems sturdy enough to hold up to mild to moderate abuse. The fitment of all the plastic panels also looks pretty good.

Cost

I purchased my Mr. Clean Autodry from Target for $20, however, I recently found out that there is a $5 off coupon available from the product's website. The cost of replacement filters (10 uses) and car wash is about $7 each.

Ok, now that we've got the basic stuff out of the way, on to the review.

The first thing that you'll notice about this thing is that it's huge as hell. However, the size of it really doesn't get in the way of operation.

The Autodry has three spray settings, rinse, soap, and de-ionize. The rinse setting, well...it rinses. My only gripe with it is that it sprays out water with perhaps a little too much pressure, which might require you to arch the water a little to prevent you from blasting dirt into your beautiful paint.

The soap setting mixes the soap with "special" polymers into the flow of water and sprays it out much more gently than the rinse setting. While I did notice that the soap did allow water to sheet off quickly, it also brought along the soap with it, making it hard for me to use a towel to remove dirt and other stuff on my car. The car soap itself already has the consistiency of water, so further diluting it may be the problem.

The de-ionize setting is the heart of the Mr. Clean Autodry. This filter from PUR filters out minerals from your water, supposedly allowing you to let your car dry by itself and giving you that spot free shine.

After I had finished washing my car, I sat around and waited for at least a good 10-15 minutes, when I went back outside to check on my car, barely any of the water had dried! Instead, I found that the water was just sitting on the car as sheets. But the parts that did dry were spot free. Even parts of the window that had dried didn't have a single spot on them! I realized that my car would take forever to dry if I let it air dry, so I took out my absorber and finished the job. The result was a shiny car without a water stain on it!

My final impression of the Mr. Clean Autodry is a mixed one. While the product preformed as it was supposed to, it's not as quick and painless as they make it seem. The starter filter and soap are also quickly used, since you can only use them 3 times before you have to go out and get more. The soap itself seemed cheap and dried very quickly, although it did seem to allow the water to sheet off. While you can allow your car to try on its own after washing, this will take a very long time. I reccomend that you take your drying cloth and finish the job because it's just that much quicker. The redeeming quality of this product is that the filter really does remove minerals that cause hard water, so you can say goodbye to spots all over your car. The Mr. Clean Autodry should probably be used to supplement your washing instead of replacing it all together so that you don't have to work like a madman to quickly dry your car before stains appear.

·
Registered
682 Posts
good write up. i wa thinking of getting it and using it just for the filter since the minerals is what causes spots. Im pretty sure from reading about it you could probably use what ever soap you wanted to since the spot free drying comes from the filter.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Its always nice to have a product that makes washing a little easier for you :D

I hope you can post again in a few months with some info on how the wax on your car likes this stuff :)

Good post man...props to you! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
435 Posts
Thanks for the review, been wanted to purchase the product, but I'm really picky on the soap I use. I won't use anything on my RSX but Zymol. But if I could wash my car normally with Zymol, and then use the PUR filter just to rinse the car off at the end and not get spots, that would be perfect.

Anyone that tries using a different soap, let me know how it works out. Thanks.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ReZZeX said:
Thanks for the review, been wanted to purchase the product, but I'm really picky on the soap I use. I won't use anything on my RSX but Zymol. But if I could wash my car normally with Zymol, and then use the PUR filter just to rinse the car off at the end and not get spots, that would be perfect.

Anyone that tries using a different soap, let me know how it works out. Thanks.
The manual tells you not to use other soaps as it may cause clogs. I have no idea if this is true or not though. I'm just going to try using my Meguiars Gold Class soap next time to see how it works (even though it voids the spot free gaurantee).

·
Registered
439 Posts
i have this too.. not too bad.. quite possibly worth the $20. Same experience!

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
jstn - It was about 70 degrees outside and the sun was going down, so it was just about perfect for washing my car.

Frosty - You probably could get similar results, but I guess it would have to depend on how good the filter was. Maybe we could ask a poolman or something....

·
San Diego OG RSX
2,813 Posts
Thanks for the review. I think i am going to get it just for the PUR filter...but i will still dry it myself. I think the best thing about the filter is knowing that the water that fuckin never stops dripping from the side view mirrors wont create a nice thin line of dried water. I hate the fact of having to open up the rubbers and putting towels in them. Plus after my wash is done. I have to come out every 15 minutes to dry the water line that drips from the mirrors. :smilemad:

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
someone on e46fanatics used it and loved it. the only complaint wash the soap runs out fast and its hard to find replacement soap.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts