Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone just have a aftermarket muffler installed on their
base. I was thinking of getting just the muffler and header.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
When I first bought the car I had just instaled a Type R Evolution exhaust on it. The sound was nice but no power gains. I guess if u just want a different look buy a muffler it'll be cheaper,just make sure u bring it to a good muffler shop for welding. I have an HKS Hi Power Exhaust ow and arospeed headers and that's much bettter. But I'm taking these parts off to do my type exhaust swap. From headers to muffler. So I will be sellin my HKS And Arospeed Headers for a good price. But either way good luck to u.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I just installed the muffler today and it does sound nice,
but no real power gains, after header install hopefully I'll feel
a good gain in power.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
You're really not gonna get the best gains unless you also do the mid pipe, I'd do that before headers.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I haven't noticed the car slowing down because of the muffler.
maybe it depends on how well they weld it in. The place i installed it at did a great job, I like it. It sounds nice, but I am conscious of the fact I didn't get more than a 1 or 2 Horsepower gain, if that.

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
I've tried 2.25" custom piping with an aftermarket muffler. It sounded loud and raspy like a typical riced out civic because I didn't have a resonator. I had to keep the silencer on because it was too loud.

I got HP header and everything was running fine for awhile until my aftermarket muffler cracked. Never buy R1 muffler that shit sucked but I didn't know at the time.

I went back to HP header, 2.25" custom piping, and stock base axle back muffler. NEVER run this setup because it sounded so ricey and my car was slow as fuck. Felt like I had no torque at all.

Now my setup is HP header and Magnaflow 4" tip catback. I love the Magnaflow because it's very deep and throaty at low rpm but doesn't get too loud or annoying at high way cruising speed.

Just go with a full catback system and you'll be alot happier in the long run. I spent $270 on my custom piping and muffler and now it's just sitting there collecting dust and I'm trying to get rid of it for $50.

Getting just a header (shorty) and muffler would not give you that much gain if any at all. Just the sound you'll be getting.

I'm saving up for JRSC and JRRH

·
The enemy is among us...
427 Posts
First of all getting custom piping isnt that bad of an idea. Maybe for ivietec but thats simply because you chose a crappy muffler like you said. Custom piping and an aftermarket muffler can be a cheaper alternative if your only going for looks and sound. Just doesnt make as much power as a full system. My friends rsx has custom piping and a Blitz nur-spec muffler and it sounds REALLY nice. Very deep and bassy just like my friends Supra TT with the full blitz exhaust...

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have the AEM CAI intake and a custom stainless cat back borla system. It sounds very deep. Not a bit of rice here. More like a deep gargle. Sounds very sweet at WOT. As for looks, the muffler is much thinner and can't be seen when you stand behind the car, other than that it looks completely stock (but better IMO).

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
DynamicX is right. We're lucky as the DC5 exhaust system is pretty straight from the cat back and the benefit of mandrel bending is extremely small, especially if you go 2.25"-2.50". Wouldn't be the case for a Celica which has a 180 degree turn in the piping.

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
so anyone wanna buy my 2.25" custom bent piping painted in metalic silver to match the bottom of the car? Direct bolt on to the base include hanger and flanges so no modification needed. This is from the cat all the way back...$50 socal pick up thanks

·
bye RSX, hello TSX
1,348 Posts
DynamicX said:
. My friends rsx has custom piping and a Blitz nur-spec muffler and it sunds REALLY nice. Very deep and bassy just like my friends Supra TT with the full blitz exhaust...
I had that same setup on my rsx for less then 2days. Although i agree that it has a bassy tone to it, it was louder then shit. Sold the nurspec and got a Streetseries magnaflow with 4 in tip and it is sooo much better sounding. Very low and mellow sounding and not to much louder then the greddy sp2.

6,327 Posts
in most cases you'll lose some low end torque by installing a aftermarket mufler,gaining HP i doubt it,the main restrictive part of the exhaust is the piping itself.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
After some thought, I am just gonna save up for
a full cat back system. I think Ill do headers at the same time.

·
bye RSX, hello TSX
1,348 Posts
Looks good...very stock like except where i can see the welds behind the tip. Yours is very similar to mine except i used a Magnaflow SS muffler with tip.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts