Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This is specially mapped to the fuel mixture, ignition timing, and combustion. The rev limit is increased to 9,100 rpm from the normal 8,400 rpm, and the VTEC valve timing changeover point is lowered to 4,700 rpm from the normal 5,300 rpm. It is highly recommended that reinforced valve springs be fitted if this E.C.U. is used.

· Internet Crack Dealer
22,304 Posts
A few have tried it but didn't get the same results as the K-Pro. If you are looking for an ECU option, look into the K-Pro since it is tunable. Nothing bad about the Mugen, but it was done for the Type R and not the Type-S so it would be recommended that you have Type R cams and manifold to get close to maximum benefit. There are people that have used it or are currently using it and I am sure that some of them will jump in.

· Registered
1,429 Posts
Yup, K-Pro is a better deal if you can't find a used Mugen ECU for cheaper.

I ran the Mugen ECU about 8 months then sold it to switch to the K-Pro. The Mugen ECU does not rev to 9000. Kingmotorsports claims the rev limit is 9100, but it is not. I don't know where they get that information from but they are incorrect. There has been rumors that there is another Mugen ECU that revs to 9100, but no one has presented information for this. The rev limit is set to 8600 rpm. Its a great ECU very smooth, and is a complete replacement. I gained 30+ hp and torque in the mid-range with it over the stock ECU!!!!

2 things to keep in mind when your trying to decide which ECU to go with.

1. If you go with the Mugen ECU be sure to modify your car to around what the ECU was programed for (K20A engine or K20A camshafts if you have a K20A2 engine, including K20A intake & exhaust manifold, and the Mugen N1 Race exhaust). Since the Mugen ECU is only run in the HOA series they have a set ruleset on modifications they can do to the engine.

2. If you get the K-pro, realize that you will probably have to get it dyno tuned. You can run around on the calibrations that it comes with, but you will need to optimize them for your car.

In the long run, the K-Pro is the way to go. As you modifiy your engine you can tune it accordingly on a dyno. Keep in mind you will need to know what your doing by changing ignition, fuel, and cam angles values, etc.

· ECU Tuner
3,588 Posts
swwifty said:
I ran the Mugen ECU about 8 months then sold it to switch to the K-Pro.
I was under the impression that the Mugen ECU can also be upgraded to K-Pro status. If that is so, why did you sell the Mugen?

· Registered
1,429 Posts
conradb212 said:
I was under the impression that the Mugen ECU can also be upgraded to K-Pro status. If that is so, why did you sell the Mugen?
why would I pay for the Mugen ECU plus another 900$ for the upgrade when I could sell the Mugen ECU to cover the cost of the Kpro. :laughing: :p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.