Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up some Mugen engine mounts to replace my oem mounts that have seen 170k miles on my type s😕. The mounts are rated at 65 durometer at all three locations (left, right, front) compared to the oem ones, which is rated at 58 for the front mount and 59 for the sides (photo of source down below). Visually they look identical to the oem mounts. They even have the typical “S6M” stamp that is found on a number of oem Honda parts. This leads me to believe that since Mugen’s founder (Hirotoshi Honda) has close ties with Honda’s founder (Soichiro Honda) being that he is his one and only son, Mugen company is able to get Honda production engine mounts but ones that are specifically made for a higher durometer in the process of production. Like I said earlier, they have the typical “S6M” stamp which leads me to believe that. Here are the mounts at my first view of the unboxing. A big thanks to RHDJapan for cheaper prices and fast shipping from Japan. This was cheaper than buying from Nengun.com. Probably because after shipping them out here they need to make profit so they raise the price. I paid $270 after shipping with RHDJapan. I will hopefully be installing these this weekend for some back to back photos of the oem units and a before and after impression. It won’t be a fair comparison since the oem mounts are old, however I don’t think brand new oem mounts would compare on the performance scale to that of the Mugen mounts. Hopefully vibration‘s are not present in the cabin.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
259,474 Posts
Very interesting that the kit includes a front, transmission, and passenger side mount, but no rear mount. Most kits do not include the front mount, but rather the other three.

I believe you're correct that these are more than likely manufactured by the same supplier but shot with a different rubber durometer during production runs.

Good eye.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a feeling that they do not come with a rear mount because of n1 race regulations or something.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here are some of the photo’s of side by side mounts of oem and mugen. Pretty identical. The motor mounts brought the car back to life. Gear shifts are smooth and no engine jerking is present. And as I was hoping, there are no vibrations in the cabin! On a side note, I put the transmission and passenger mount on a vice and put a screwdriver through the bolt hole to move it around and feel the flex. I also did the same with the Mugen trying not to be biased, and they felt about the same. Non the less they are rated at a higher durometer and it is felt with vibrations. Hallelujah! The front mount was one of the more trickier ones to get. I would imagine that replacing all of these would be easier with a lift.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts