Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

461 - 474 of 474 Posts

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Has anyone had problems with theirs rubbing against the brake master cylinder reservoir? I had to shave the outer layer off that corner of the top half of the box, and elongate the holes in the mounts to slide the whole thing forward to actually be able to screw the top down. I'm still getting a vibration in my pedals. Contemplating shaving that lip off the reservoir where it touches, but im not sure if thats solid all the way in.

It's in an auto, btw. I could very well be imagining things because "hey, shiny new part," but it does feel less pathetic below 4k :thumbsup:.

·
R.I.P. '02 RSX (Sold)
1,742 Posts
Yeah I had the same problem when I had mine. It was rubbing against the booster and than vibrate heavily.

I didn't tighten it down using the OEM mounting points like the stock airbox. I left it unscrewed and just use a shorter hose to connect to the valve cover. Tighten that one and it helped pull it away from the booster. It was no longer was touching the booster.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
It just wasn't happening, so I put the stock box back in. I'm thinking mine is the wrong box, somehow. Are there two different versions for the ITR or is mine maybe for a Civic? It would fit just fine in a RHD DC5, I'm sure of it, but look at the outer shape of mine:

And compare it to InZain08's:

His doesn't have the same top-right corner where mine is hitting the bmc.

·
R.I.P. '02 RSX (Sold)
1,742 Posts
There's actually like 2-3 models of the intake. The very first one I purchased from King back in '08 was specifically made for the RSX. Than there's the Type R and EP3 ones.

InZain08's is most likely the EP3 one as it has the shorter corner since the engine bay are smaller in the Civics.

Type R's are bigger cause it has more room with the CMC and BMC on the LHD side.

·
Registered
259 Posts
There's actually like 2-3 models of the intake. The very first one I purchased from King back in '08 was specifically made for the RSX. Than there's the Type R and EP3 ones.

InZain08's is most likely the EP3 one as it has the shorter corner since the engine bay are smaller in the Civics.

Type R's are bigger cause it has more room with the CMC and BMC on the LHD side.
I believe that person has the EP3/Type R one. Only difference for those vehicles I think is the snorkel. It is definitely bigger, the most current one available has the cutout corner.

https://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?92010-Mugen-Airbox-for-EP3-Fitment-guide-and-mini-review

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Lucky. I've still got to get around to cutting and re-fiberglassing mine to fit. Brand new, though? Where'd you source it?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Lucky. I've still got to get around to cutting and re-fiberglassing mine to fit. Brand new, though? Where'd you source it?
They still make them brand new in Japan.

Your box would probably fit my car.

Integra Type R has the fluid reservoir on the other side.

I think box with the corner cut is made for the RSX, and eventually Mugen didn't bother making two types of boxes anymore since this fits my car anyway.

·
Registered
213 Posts

So after all these years, I finally found why.

There are two models of the airbox for the DC5.
17200-XK5-K0S0
17200-XK5-K0S0-B2

Any of the ones that "don't fit" and are more square are the first part number, designed for the DC5 ITR 01-04. It will fit 04-06 refresh, but will not fit LHD models without trimming.

When the refresh came out, Mugen shaved off the corner for LHD cars, and called it the B2.
Both were sold for a short time before the first part number was discontinued.

B2 will fit on all cars, LHD or RHD.

461 - 474 of 474 Posts