Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Central PA AMSOIL dealer
5,590 Posts
Yep, King Motorsports is your best bet. Someone on this board has that exhaust, I just forget who.

·
Registered
7,250 Posts
To use that exhaust, you have to have the JDM ITR 4-2 upper header (or equivalent) and a sway bar that will fit a JDM header such as the Toda or Whiteline. It is by no means street legal, which means that you will have to run an O2 sensor, Mugen ECU, or the Hondata K-Pro to pass emmisions. Plus, it is designed for use on race cars, so don't expect it to be even REMOTELY quiet.

If you are looking for a Mugen catback, then it is called the Sports Exhaust. They can also be ordered from King for $975+shipping. They have been back ordered, but a shipment is supposed to arrive anyday now (my Mugen exhaust is on that shipment).

Exhaust: $1300+shipping
O2 sim:$74
Upper header:$150-300
Swaybar:$250

Annoying exhaust heard from 5 miles away:$1000s in tickets

·
Registered
4,529 Posts
I hate to show you up on this one BigDawg, but I gotta :thumbsup: :laughing:

Here is a piece of a article I found online (here)

"If you're a big fan of racing in Japan and have been following the One-Make Race religiously, you might have noticed a not so familiar shiny component under the hood. Don't fret, you racing addicts! The 5Zigen Pro Racer exhaust manifold is a prototype stainless steel unit installed on the vehicle for display purposes only. Under HOA rules, the original factory Type-R exhaust manifold must be used in the series. The only modifications allowed on the exhaust system is from the collector back. Granted, it is race approved and meets the newly-introduced 2003 90dB requirement rule. Following guidelines, a 5Zigen Pro Racer EX-3, A-spec (modified) 60mm race-spec exhaust without the resonator now resides on the yellow Type-R."

I've also confirmed this on the HOA site (www.hoa.jp). Here's a quote from the site translated....

"Exhaust volume must be regulated, 2003 domestic competition vehicle rule, to "competition vehicle conforming the guidance important points regarding the exhaust volume measurement" of supplementary provision, when it was measured, 90dB (A) below (measurement distance 3m)."

Granted, 90db at 3m isn't that quiet. I don't know what RPM that is at or anything.

It all comes down to that Mugen Race HOA Spec Exhaust isn't going to be that quite, but its not going to be ear bleeding either. It probably doesn't sound that great either because of the lack of resonators!

On a side note, check out this interesting information on the Mugen ECU from the ImportTuner Site...

"Sitting on the passenger side floorboard in clear open view is a Mugen prepped ECU. Mugen has modified all competitors' ECUs for specific Type-R race-spec ignition and timing map. The K20A's redline has been set at 8600 rpm while the VTEC switchover points have been altered to 5250 rpm. Strict rules by HOA require anti-tamper stickers be placed on each of the competitors' Mugen spec ECU to ensure unnecessary modifications have not been made. So you want to talk about HOA flexing their power? How's this for size? Spec series rules state any ECU that has been moved from its original location by a team is in direct violation and is deemed for immediate disqualification from competition. After each event, random cars are selected to participate in quality control checks, using the data ports located on the dash to download and monitor all systems to see if any alterations have been made to the vehicles computer."

·
Registered
7,250 Posts
How is that showing me up? I know that about the HOA series, but that has nothing to do with the fact that Mugen made this exhaust to exit from the primary down. Look at the pictures.

The reason I know this is because I called King thinking that I could run this setup, but they told me about the measures I would have to take to run it and warned me on how loud it would be, as they run it on their World Challenge car that Bob Endicott drives. You have seen it, and you can vouch for how LOUD it is.

Go to King's website. Check out the length of that exhaust. Look at the 2-1 collector that is staggered. That is where it connects to the ITR(or other make such as Spoon) pper 4-2 header.

I know you know a lot about that HOA series Dave. You have to realize though that there are other racing series that run the Integra. JGTC has a 2 liters and under displacement category. There is the time trial runs at Tsukuba and many others. I know very little about the racing series' there, but I do know that the exhaust in question is the one that King is using on the RSX they are campaigning right now.

So...

NANANANANANA!!!!:p

·
Registered
4,529 Posts
BigDawg said:
How is that showing me up? I know that about the HOA series, but that has nothing to do with the fact that Mugen made this exhaust to exit from the primary down. Look at the pictures.

The reason I know this is because I called King thinking that I could run this setup, but they told me about the measures I would have to take to run it and warned me on how loud it would be, as they run it on their World Challenge car that Bob Endicott drives. You have seen it, and you can vouch for how LOUD it is.

Go to King's website. Check out the length of that exhaust. Look at the 2-1 collector that is staggered. That is where it connects to the ITR(or other make such as Spoon) pper 4-2 header.

I know you know a lot about that HOA series Dave. You have to realize though that there are other racing series that run the Integra. JGTC has a 2 liters and under displacement category. There is the time trial runs at Tsukuba and many others. I know very little about the racing series' there, but I do know that the exhaust in question is the one that King is using on the RSX they are campaigning right now.

So...

NANANANANANA!!!!:p
lol. I just got owned:

actually, I was assuming the race exhaust is run with the b-pipe and muffler not with the exit pipe at the bottom of the header. That would be very loud! I just asked a guy that ran the whole race exhaust about how it sounded, and here is what he said, I quote "The exhaust itself sounds amazing, It helps that I have a Type R motor but it really is sweet. The only reason I got rid of it was because it was to loud on the inside of the car in the cabin. The resonance would give you a headache. Down low in the revs it was not bad, streetable. Up high sounded like a motorcycle. I am hoping my new set-up is going to sound amazing but since the wall thickness of the piping is greater it won't be as loud in the cabin. I am going 3" from a custom header w/2 BORLA XR-1 Mufflers."

sooooooo MUHAHAH :laughing:

·
Registered
4,529 Posts
Here is a link to the HOA rules book translated.

Here

Pay specific attention to the link almost at the bottom where it says "* 17th provision exhaust system"

Click on the little icon and you'll see a picture of the exhaust system that HOA uses. I believe its the Mugen Race Exhaust. I'll find the link that has the part number for it.

UPDATE: Here is the link that lists the parts needed to run in HOA. Take a careful note to the part # at the very bottom for the exhaust system.

HOA Parts List

Now Look at Kings Part Number for the Race Exhaust System

Click here

so what were you saying Jarod? :p :laughing:

·
Registered
7,250 Posts
I see what you are saying, but there must be a way to run it in combination with the header itself. Either that or the translation is saying that it must be from the collectors on the upper header back. The funny thing though is I have a magazine with the underside of the #4 5Zigen car that shows a full ITR header with a catback exhaust that I have never heard of. Hmmm, this could use some more looking in to, but I doubt that Scott at King would ie about a Mugen part that he could possibly sell to someone for $1300!

:dontknow:

You still suck:laughing:

·
Registered
7,250 Posts
MY GOD!!!! You can basically run nothing but Mugen parts!

I have seen HOA cars that run different setups than specified there though. We must be missing something.

·
Registered
4,529 Posts
I think the Mugen parts are approved, but you can run other parts as long as they are approved. I'm still not sure though. I'm very intersted to find out!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts