Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched, but came up with mixed results. I know that having some rear negative camber is ok since it'll give you more traction in the curves, but I don't plan on pushing my car to the point where it would make a difference. I care most about reducing my tire-wear during normal, everyday driving. I think for my preferences, a rear camber would be necessary in order to bring it back to the stock settings, but I just want to make sure before I go and buy one. I was under the impression that a rear camber kit was not necessary for the mugen ss since it's a mild drop compared to some of the other suspensions. Here is the computer print out from today:

·
Registered
8,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yah i thought so. from reading old threads, the most negative rear camber i saw was -2, so i wasn't sure what the borderline from ok to bad was. the guy who aligned my car today also recommended a rear camber. i'm just surprised because nearly everyone who has the mugen ss said rear camber wasn't necessary

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Yes, the camber might be in spec in some cases, but it would be barely so and it might even go out of spec with you sitting in the car and compressing the suspension slightly. The shorter stock upper arm will also mean a large gain in camber with any compression of the suspension. With a camber kit, you can not only get the camber in spec, but it will not have as much camber gain during compression. This will all help to save your tires.

·
Registered
8,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yah i had my suspension installed 2-3 weeks ago and didn't have a chance to get an alignment until today :eek: looks like i got my answer thanks guys

·
Name's Vic
14,752 Posts
very nice alignment and yes camber kit would be good, looks like a kick ass alignment is the steering wheel dead on straight? Your front LEFT toe was fucked dude geez almost as bad as what my rear was lol.

Anyways nice alignment you mind sharing the place so people from cali will go there? and as people can see whoever said a camber kit is not needed was wrong because even with a 1.4in drop all around u do need it

·
Name's Vic
14,752 Posts
oh and the thing you want during compression is more camber especially in a turn especially in the front and for the last time CAMBER DOES NOT WEAR OUT TIRES THAT BADLY PEOPLE COME ON toe will kill your tires and it looks like u did a good thing getting it aligned to

·
Registered
8,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks i had my tires mounted and balanced at the same place. as for the steering wheel, it feels much straighter then before, but i haven't driven much since i got the alignment, so i can't say for sure that it is dead on straight; however, from the specs on the toe, it should be. i already posted the address and contact number of the shop in the norcal section, but here it is again:

Auto Innovations
1337 Minnis Circle, Milpitas, CA 95035

i'm just not happy about having to go in again for another alignment. if i knew i needed a rear camber, i would've had it installed first and then went in to get my alignment done. anyways, let this be a lesson to those who are looking to drop their cars, even just a mild drop like mine (1.4 all around). just get the rear camber and save yourself the money of having to get an alignment twice like me.

·
Name's Vic
14,752 Posts
well heres a trick measure a couple mm's for the rear camber kit you get after u take one of the arms off just make the camber kit slightly longer and make the other one exactly the same that way both rear cambers will be even probably give it another 5-10mm longer then oem and see how it comes out i wouldnt worry to much about rear camber just try to eye ball it and make the other side even.

·
Registered
8,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
IH8Domestics said:
weird... my specs are different for my alignment
:dontknow: :) maybe the stock specs between the type s and base are different to begin with. wanna share your specs too?

·
Type-S Newbie
231 Posts
^ the attachment says Acura '99 - '01 NSX Type-S :driving:

anyway, is that the Type-S Specification?
Or Mugen has specific alignment numbers we should follow?

·
93 Posts
newbieRSX said:
^ the attachment says Acura '99 - '01 NSX Type-S :driving:

anyway, is that the Type-S Specification?
Or Mugen has specific alignment numbers we should follow?
Yea i think thats the Type-S spec, but if i remember correctly (granted this is quite a while ago) my alignment didnt say if it was type-s or not. I didnt end up going with a camber kit within the rear (ended being -1.8 on both sides... so barely within spec) and this was with mugen SS, but I kinda wish I did get one just to be safe.

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
Wait until it settles. If you do it right away, you're camber will be off and the inside edge may wear down quicker.

·
Agnus Dei
42 Posts
Thanks for the info, IH8Domestics. Should I also put on rear camber kit when getting alignment after Mugen SS is installed and settles. Any good range of mileage for the settlement?

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
It takes about 2 weeks. Then just slap on a camber kit, eye the alignment and take it to the shop for alignment. Just make sure to tell them you have an alignment kit.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts