Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I thought I would share what I have planned for my 05 S in case anyone has ever wondered about the Mugen steering gearbox bushings, or the job to replace the faulty steering rack slider guide. It seems like my right tie rod is bad (sloppy steering and pulls to the right) so I decided to replace them with new oem tie rods with all the locks, o-rings, and boot bands, etc. needed. The steering rack slider tends to be a weak spot for the Honda’s with this type of steering rack. This is why DC5’s and EP3’s tend to have bump steer, (one of the reasons) and bad steering. The SHG slider improves the steering by making the piece out of DuPont black Delrin so that it does not wear out as fast. I’ll let them explain their design ⬇

I won’t be overhauling the steering gearbox, but I will replace the bushings, and the rack slider with Honda high temp grease, and tie rods as explained earlier. I plan on doing this work in about a few weeks. I’ll will come back with another post of the tools needed and the procedure to take out the steering rack according to the service manual. I bought the Mugen bushings from RHDJapan. Good service and timing for about $80 shipped. They are said to be hard rubber but when I felt them they felt like plastic or even like the SHG slider material. They definitely didn’t feel cheap though. I tried squeezing them hard with my fingers and they didn’t move at all 👍. They felt very very durable. I had always wished someone would have made metal inserts like Spoon Sports did for the FD2, but these feel like they will do the same job. I’ll compare the feel of the oem ones next time. Overall, I am excited for the new steering feel to come, and the feedback from the hard steering bushings. Hopefully with no vibrations. I like Mugen products, but I will be unbiased in my review after the test drive.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I thought I would share what I have planned for my 05 S in case anyone has ever wondered about the Mugen steering gearbox bushings, or the job to replace the faulty steering rack slider guide. It seems like my right tie rod is bad (sloppy steering and pulls to the right) so I decided to replace them with new oem tie rods with all the locks, o-rings, and boot bands, etc. needed. The steering rack slider tends to be a weak spot for the Honda’s with this type of steering rack. This is why DC5’s and EP3’s tend to have bump steer, (one of the reasons) and bad steering. The SHG slider improves the steering by making the piece out of DuPont black Delrin so that it does not wear out as fast. I’ll let them explain their design ⬇

I won’t be overhauling the steering gearbox, but I will replace the bushings, and the rack slider with Honda high temp grease, and tie rods as explained earlier. I plan on doing this work in about a few weeks. I’ll will come back with another post of the tools needed and the procedure to take out the steering rack according to the service manual. I bought the Mugen bushings from RHDJapan. Good service and timing for about $80 shipped. They are said to be hard rubber but when I felt them they felt like plastic or even like the SHG slider material. They definitely didn’t feel cheap though. I tried squeezing them hard with my fingers and they didn’t move at all 👍. They felt very very durable. I had always wished someone would have made metal inserts like Spoon Sports did for the FD2, but these feel like they will do the same job. I’ll compare the feel of the oem ones next time. Overall, I am excited for the new steering feel to come, and the feedback from the hard steering bushings. Hopefully with no vibrations. I like Mugen products, but I will be unbiased in my review after the test drive.
I’m looking to get these mugen bushes on my ep3 soon. I will be interested to hear how your car feels after fitting them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
hi, did you ever get around to installing these? i replaced all of the suspension bushings on my 05 RSX and these are the last bushings I need to replace. Looking forward to your update.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have not yet. I am in automotive school and I thought I was going to bring in my car to our shop the work on the rack but it turned out the timing wasn’t right. I have a few weeks of school left so I might do it then if not for sure by the end of June. Hang on fellas!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a positive feeling they will fit. Do you need to know whether they do or don’t pretty soon? I have some ideas of figuring that out if you do.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a positive feeling they will fit. Do you need to know whether they do or don’t pretty soon? I have some ideas of figuring that out if you do.
I already bought them and also some poly bushings in case they don't fit lol. I need to replace mine. It's the final bushing on this car that I haven't replaced yet. Still looking forward to your update. King Motorsport confirmed they fit all DC5's but I'm pretty sure 02-04 use a different size.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Some of the bushings are discontinued, but I would cross check the bushings from the different years from oem Acura parts or whatever oem parts distributed you like to use if you want to be sure (one way at least). I have a really good feeling they will all fit, but we will have to see! When are you doing yours?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What company did you go with the suspension bushings by the way? I am considering replacing all my suspension bushings with the hardrace kit.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You mentioned that you had replaced all your bushings on your car except for the steering rack. I’m curious about the all of the suspension bushings you replaced as in what company. Also nice! I was expecting like a really hard rubber that you can barely squish but these are not joke. They should definitely give good feedback. I have a feeling it isn’t rubber but something like delrin since it feels like a high quality plastic. But I could be wrong. It could be a hard rubber if it says it is. I find it hard to believe that it is though 🤷

·
Registered
15 Posts
You mentioned that you had replaced all your bushings on your car except for the steering rack. I’m curious about the all of the suspension bushings you replaced as in what company. Also nice! I was expecting like a really hard rubber that you can barely squish but these are not joke. They should definitely give good feedback. I have a feeling it isn’t rubber but something like delrin since it feels like a high quality plastic. But I could be wrong. It could be a hard rubber if it says it is. I find it hard to believe that it is though 🤷
I changed out the compliance bushings, the front sway bar bushings, the rear lower control arm bushings, the rear knuckle bushings, rear sway bar bushings, rear trailing arm bushings and rear camber arm bushings. makes a huge difference. I'm waiting on a couple o-rings to come in from Honda before I start this project. I'm rebuilding my power steering unit myself and swapping that out with a new P/S line since the rack has to come out. Pretty excited. I picked up a complete EP3 EPS rack but I think I'm going to sell it and keep the hydraulic P/S rack. I read a lot of EP3 owners end up swapping their EPS out for the RSX PS rack lol. Guess the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Nice. Did you replace the bushings with Honda bushings or something else?
compliance bushings I went with Super Pro since I had nothing but good experiences with them on my 2019 Golf R. Same goes for front and rear sway bar bushings. For the rear I went with Hard Race since OEM were either discontinued or were on back order with no ETA. Good luck finding the Hard Race stuff, it's been OOO for awhile now and the Hard Race rep in FL told me he's thinking maybe by July they should get some stock but he's not for sure. Most stuff is being discontinued for this car. I had to buy the trailing arm bushings from Hard Race in the UK because no one had any in stock in the US. That British pound conversion killed me. I could have went with Energy Suspension bushings for the rear but the part inconsistency between 02-04 and 05-06 was super convoluted and I didn't want to risk buying those poly bushings only to find out it wasn't compatible with 05-06. I called Energy Suspension and asked if their bushings were compatible with 05-06 and they couldn't give me a straight answer because they only tested them on 02-04 models. Took me about 2 months to source all these bushings lol.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have not yet. I am in automotive school and I thought I was going to bring in my car to our shop the work on the rack but it turned out the timing wasn’t right. I have a few weeks of school left so I might do it then if not for sure by the end of June. Hang on fellas!
Im about to install the SHG slider and try to tight the 40mm nut on the steering rack but I came across this post and I was thinking about get the bushings too, could you share the link where you bought it from? And also are you planing to install it with the rack on the car ?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nice! I didn’t get time to do them on my car as I did a brake job with new oem rotors, pads and hardware with a brake flush. I will get my rack done either this Saturday or for sure the next. You will definitely want spanned wrenches for the power steering lines at the pinion gear side. Let me know if you want me to post the rack removal procedure from the service manual on here.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
So a little update on my car. I started the work today but will finish the rest tomorrow since I have the option to take things slow and do everything right. At this point all I need to do if put the gearbox back in and torque the feed and return lines and all of the other clamps on it. The work went smooth for doing this for the first time except at the point where I needed to get there u joint off because of the room but you will get it with a few more minutes. The other tiny hiccup was when I was moving the gearbox outside from the drivers side wheel well. The cylinder lines where getting in the way so you have to be patient, and make sure that the the gearbox is rotated so the pinion shaft is facing upwards. From there just figure out in what way you need to adjust it and then wiggle it out. Also the Mugen bushings are very stiff! I have much more to update you guys on and to share more photos but here is the difference between the oem and Mugen hard steering gearbox bushings. It was worth the purchase to go along with the SHG slider and new tie rods. On a side note I would recommend installing the Mugen bushings using a bench vise. It seemed like it would be a good idea using a strong press. The Mugen bushings are very high quality and you can’t just press them in by hand like the oem ones. They have a tight clearance for a tight fit. However when I used a bench vise they went in as smooth as butter 🧈. More tomorrow.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 38 Posts