Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question and yes I searched.....

I am either getting the KPro or Hondata 4 soon and because of all the warranty BS figured it would be in my best interest to just get a second ECU and send that in to Hondata to get flashed. That was I can keep my stock ECU with all the info and if I ever need to bring the car in just swap out the ECU's. Anyone have any experience with this or think it’s a bad idea? If so give me some reasons. Thanks.

· Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
conradb212 said:
If you have the money, that's a good solution. However, you'll have to have the new ECU keyed to your immobilizer and only a Honda/Acura dealer can do that.

I am not entirely sure how that process works. The key has a transponder in it that the immobilizer presumably picks up (after all, the key doesn't have a battery and must be a passive device). If the immobilizer finds the key signature to be okay it likely sends a code to the ECU, saying it is okay to start the car. This leads me to believe that the Honda dealer actually makes a change to the ECU, like storing the immobilizer code. What you want to end up with, of course, is both ECUs working with your immobilizer and key.

I guess this means when Hondata does the reflash for either KPro or #4 they don't sync the immobilizer to the ECU at the same time. I figured since you have to send everything to them that this was part of the process.

HONDATA can you fill me in on this? Thanks.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.