Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 247 Posts

·
typespilot
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I decided to make a show-off thread before I sell my car. After all, I have been lurking on this website for many years...

I sold my beloved RSX 8/22/2017......

FOR SALE LISTINGS

Auto trader: https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=461049547&ownerId=71204781&searchRadius=0

ClubRSX: http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=1239393

I met my wife through work. When we first met, she just leased a brand new Milano red 05 type S. I was able to take the car for a drive one night and fell in love with it…with her too! I was a little jealous of her car. I would ask to drive it every chance I could and decided I had to get one of my own. A couple months later, I obtained a new 06 NHBP type S. The dealership had one in Milano red, one in silver, and the black pearl. I chose the black pearl out of the three. Milano red would have been my first choice, however I could not have the same color as my wife.

The first day of ownership it rained. I was so full of adrenaline to obtain my first new car that I did not care. I wish we took a pic of our cars side by side on the Acura lot that day, but I am glad I at least got this one. In hindsight, I would have had a lot of photos if my LG Verizon flip phone in 2005 had the same quality camera as my current iPhone! This was taken about 30 minutes into ownership.

DSC01404 by Corey Ganoom, on Flickr

So as time went on, I wanted to make my RSX like a King Motorsport’s build. I did not have the kind of money. I was finishing up my second degree in school, with the impending doom of student loan payback. I also knew I wanted to move into my own place someday. My focus was to just maintain the car and keep it flawless. Luckily, the townhome I lived in had a garage, and our unit was on the end with a hose hookup. I abused that privilege.

Wife and I took the car up to the Detroit Auto Show in 2006. I remember staring at the King car for a long time. I think that was my first exposure to seeing actual Mugen parts on the facelift DC5. I was in sticker shock when I went home to look at the MSRP for the body kit. Unfortunately, I only have these two photos left to share.

DSC01529 by Corey Ganoom, on Flickr

DSC01530 by Corey Ganoom, on Flickr

Well when the lease was up, I was really bummed. The Civic Si was a cool car, but I did not care for the interior or dash. I liked the performance upgrades the new platform had, but I decided to keep the RSX and purchase it. I knew Acura was focused on luxury, and Honda terminated the S2000 and was scaling back on their performance vehicles.

The wife and I bought a house shortly afterward, and any flexible spending money went into that. We got married a couple years after that and after all the dust settled, I started to think about upgrading the car as it continued to age.

I think the motivating push to modify the RSX happened after reading Evan’s SoHonda Garage DC5 thread. That car should be the banner car for clubrsx! Reading that thread from the first to last page would motivate anybody! “Built, not bought” could be the slogan for that build. That guy is brilliant, yet very humble. I think he is a great representative for the Honda scene.

I was inspired by his build, and decided to undertake a small-scale upgrade of my own. I spent a lot of time last spring/summer/fall into purchasing parts and having them prepped. I wanted to overhaul the suspension of the car to improve the handling, while making a few upgrades to the car’s breathing characteristics.

Engine:
Vibratechnics motor mounts (hard rubber mounts reduce motor flex)
Mugen air intake
J’s Racing 2 piece racing header
Tanabe Medallion full stainless exhaust
RBC intake manifold (cut to fit K20Z1)
Karcepts throttle body adapter to work with RBC manifold
Hondata intake manifold gasket
New OEM fuel injector rubber gaskets replaced/installed
Skunk2 magnetic oil drain plug
Hamp synergy (made by OE supplier Filtech) oil filter and Valvoline 5w30 High Mileage full synthetic oil
NRG hood dampers
Samco black silicone radiator hoses
Blox aluminum subframe rigid collars

Transmission:
Exedy lightweight flywheel
Exedy stage one clutch
Transmission fluid replaced with OEM Honda fluid
Skunk 2 Magnetic drain plug
Vibratechnics mount for transmission
New OEM intermediate shaft bearing installed
New OEM passenger side half-shaft installed

Exterior:
OEM Acura fog light kit with OEM harness and switch
OEM Headlights with Acura TSX xenon projectors retrofitted inside. New D2S 5000K xenon bulbs installed this May.
Mitsubishi electric ballast power the xenon projectors. (OEM part from an Acura TSX)
OEM Acura A-Spec rear spoiler with mini decklid
OEM JDM Rear tail lights
OEM Honda Access tinted window visors
OEM Honda Type R front and rear red “H” badges.

Suspension:
All new OEM hardware for suspension and brakes. Hardware was sent out and cadmium plated silver before installation.
Mugen stainless steel front strut tower bar
OEM 2002-2004 front strut tower bar to compliment the Mugen strut tower bar (extra reinforcement)
Mugen Sport Suspension coilovers
OEM JDM type R aluminum front control arms. Aluminum was polished and powder coated with a clear finish by Paul at Columbus Powdercoat.
HardRace front control arm bushings
Sankei 555 Ball Joints
Front knuckles were powder coated gloss black by Columbus Powder Coat.
New OE Timken front wheel bearings were installed.
OEM Honda front endlinks
OEM JDM Type R front sway bar powder coated by Columbus Powder Coat
HardRace front sway bar bushings
Rear trailing arms powder coated by Columbus Powder Coat
HardRace rear trailing arm bushings
Rear knuckles powder coated by Columbus Powder Coat
OEM Rear knuckle bushings installed after powder coat
Rear lower arms powder coated by Columbus Powder Coat.
New OEM rear camber arms
H&R 15mm wheel spacers (rear)
ARP extended wheel studs on rear hubs
OEM rear lower arm bushings installed after powder coat.
Eibach 23mm rear sway bar powder coated by Columbus Powder Coat
Eibach rear sway bar bushings
New OE Timken rear wheel bearings/hubs installed
OEM JDM type R rear floor bar connecting rear shock towers

Brakes:
EBC Ultimax slotted rotors
OEM Honda front pads
EBC Greenstuff rear pads
Goodridge stainless steel brake lines
G2 Red Epoxy caliper paint
Front and rear dust shields powder coated gloss black by Columbus Powder Coat

Wheels:
17X7.5 et40 Rays Engineering Volk SE37k
Michelin Pilot Super Sport summer tires

Interior:
Stock
Redline leather shift boot

·
typespilot
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
The first real upgrade happened right after our wedding. My clutch crapped out due to a throw out bearing failure. I upgraded to an Exedy flywheel and clutch.

My old OEM clutch plate and bearing

IMG_1872 by Corey Ganoom, on Flickr
IMG_1866 by Corey Ganoom, on Flickr

The following spring, I had a caliper seize up due to a worn boot. So the brakes got an overhaul.

IMG_1361 by Corey Ganoom, on Flickr

IMG_2322 by Corey Ganoom, on Flickr

·
typespilot
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I think we had such a hard winter going into 2014, I spent a lot of time in the garage taking care of the paint.

IMG_1341 by Corey Ganoom, on Flickr

IMG_1340 by Corey Ganoom, on Flickr

IMG_1354 by Corey Ganoom, on Flickr

IMG_1347 by Corey Ganoom, on Flickr

IMG_1346 by Corey Ganoom, on Flickr

IMG_3101 by Corey Ganoom, on Flickr

Dc5 videos by Corey Ganoom, on Flickr

I started to spend more time visiting the forums and looked for inexpensive ways to tinker with the car. I put heat tape around the box, which consumed way more time than I like to admit. I even tried the Hondata airbox modification before buying the Mugen air intake.

IMG_2514 by Corey Ganoom, on Flickr

IMG_1404 by Corey Ganoom, on Flickr

·
typespilot
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I think 2014 started the snowball effect. I started to buy some parts for the car that year. I purchased the Mugen air intake, Goodridge SS brake lines, a Spoon N1 exhaust, Vibratechnics motor mounts, and subframe collars. The car felt a lot different after installing the Mugen coilovers and motor mounts.

Around that time, I wanted to upgrade the lighting. I read the forums regarding retrofitting headlights. I found a good deal on some TSX projectors, bulbs, and ballasts on eBay. I went to the retrofitsource.com and bought a wiring relay, projector lenses, projector shrouds, and some butyl glue. I purchased some OEM projectors and separated them to remove the low beam reflector bowl. I painted the shrouds NHBP to match the body paint.

IMG_0262 by Corey Ganoom, on Flickr

IMG_3108 by Corey Ganoom, on Flickr

IMG_3071 by Corey Ganoom, on Flickr

I hesitated on finishing the retrofit job, and sent it to Cullen to complete the job.

IMG_3577 by Corey Ganoom, on Flickr

IMG_3578 by Corey Ganoom, on Flickr

About the same time, I installed the OEM fog light kit.

IMG_3235 by Corey Ganoom, on Flickr

IMG_3240 by Corey Ganoom, on Flickr

IMG_4330 by Corey Ganoom, on Flickr

The added light from the fog lights and the xenon projectors made a huge difference. I am going to do the same thing with the CRV this summer. I highly recommend upgrading the lights for better nighttime driving.

·
typespilot
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Spring 2015 was the start to the madness. I purchased all new hardware for the suspension and brakes. I then catalogued it all with a primitive method before putting all of it in a box and taking it to a cadmium plating facility.

Here is some of the hardware before plating:

IMG_3925 by Corey Ganoom, on Flickr

After:

IMG_4289 by Corey Ganoom, on Flickr

IMG_4291 by Corey Ganoom, on Flickr

·
typespilot
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I purchased wheel bearings, hubs, bushings, ball joints, etc. The kicker was figuring out how long it would take me to remove everything, push out all the old/worn bushings, and prep for powder coat. I did not have a daily driver back up vehicle. I found used, but clean knuckles, and trailing arms on eBay.

I did not realize how much time would be involved. I do not do things like this for a living, so I underestimated the length of this project.

Used front knuckle:

IMG_3601 by Corey Ganoom, on Flickr

In the process of removing the wheel bearing and hub:

IMG_3610 by Corey Ganoom, on Flickr

Getting ready to remove the ball joint:

IMG_3615 by Corey Ganoom, on Flickr

IMG_3618 by Corey Ganoom, on Flickr

Prepped knuckles, and trailing arms before I sent them out for powder coat:

IMG_3630 by Corey Ganoom, on Flickr

IMG_3755 by Corey Ganoom, on Flickr

IMG_3770 by Corey Ganoom, on Flickr

·
typespilot
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And a couple weeks later, I picked up my parts from Columbus Powder Coat. If you are in the central Ohio area, I would call Paul up and have him quote you. He is a good guy not trying to overcharge for his services. If you are not happy with the product, he will not give you a hard time and redo it. Highly recommend Columbus Powder Coat.

IMG_3960 by Corey Ganoom, on Flickr

IMG_4101 by Corey Ganoom, on Flickr

January 2015, I found someone who was selling a J’s Racing header. It is a 2 piece setup, and he had the first section that mounts to the engine. I purchased it from him on eBay. I spent a little time on it and cleaned it up to make it like new again. The second section I purchased from JHP USA with a long 15 week wait time.

IMG_3356 by Corey Ganoom, on Flickr

IMG_3660 by Corey Ganoom, on Flickr

IMG_3662 by Corey Ganoom, on Flickr

IMG_4539 by Corey Ganoom, on Flickr

IMG_3804 by Corey Ganoom, on Flickr

IMG_4546 by Corey Ganoom, on Flickr

·
typespilot
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I order some JDM taillights from a UK Honda dealership. I always wanted to get the JDM taillights, I think they look better, and my stock ones had oxidation from condensation over the years.

IMG_4172 by Corey Ganoom, on Flickr

IMG_4235 by Corey Ganoom, on Flickr

I had a two-month wait for the cadmium plating, and the HardRace bushings were also on backorder. I slowly pieced together the components. I ordered camber arms (OEM, and HardRace), endlinks (OEM, and HardRace), and some other misc. items.

06 DC5 suspension upgrade by Corey Ganoom, on Flickr

I wanted to upgrade the rear sway bar, and purchased an Eibach 23mm sway. The Eibach bar comes powder coated from the factory, but it was not the same red as the rest of my parts, so that was sent to Paul at Columbus Powder Coat for a treatment.

I also purchased a Mugen front strut bar through ICB.

IMG_4279 by Corey Ganoom, on Flickr

IMG_4353 by Corey Ganoom, on Flickr

IMG_4352 by Corey Ganoom, on Flickr

IMG_4078 by Corey Ganoom, on Flickr

IMG_4389 by Corey Ganoom, on Flickr

·
typespilot
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I purchased some Tanabe SSR MS1R three-piece wheels last summer. I was just getting a visual of them on the car about the same time I installed the taillights:

IMG_4216 by Corey Ganoom, on Flickr

IMG_4213 by Corey Ganoom, on Flickr

IMG_4212 by Corey Ganoom, on Flickr

IMG_5936 by Corey Ganoom, on Flickr

I purchased a new Tanabe exhaust last summer to compliment the soon to be installed header.

IMG_4065 by Corey Ganoom, on Flickr

IMG_4071 by Corey Ganoom, on Flickr

Tanabe compared to the Spoon:

IMG_4074 by Corey Ganoom, on Flickr

IMG_4073 by Corey Ganoom, on Flickr

·
typespilot
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Once the parts were all together, I had to determine the best time to start the installation. I had to remove all the old before installing the new. This was a little time consuming for an amateur like me. I ended up replacing the passenger side half shaft and the intermediate shaft bearing in the process.

The day I started the overhaul project:

IMG_4480 by Corey Ganoom, on Flickr

IMG_4583 by Corey Ganoom, on Flickr

IMG_4582 by Corey Ganoom, on Flickr

IMG_4586 by Corey Ganoom, on Flickr

IMG_4587 by Corey Ganoom, on Flickr

·
typespilot
449 Posts

·
typespilot
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I purchased JDM type R side skirts but never installed them. I spent a lot of time wet sanding the side skirts until they were super smooth. Unfortunately, I am new to painting and do not have a climate controlled garage to work in. The side skirt paint job did not turn out the way I wanted it to, so I left the OEM type S side skirts on. I just did not have the time to sand them down again last summer.

I put the red “H” badges on, but I do not think I like the red “H” badge in the front.

I also installed the Acura A-Spec wing.

IMG_4395 by Corey Ganoom, on Flickr

IMG_4651 by Corey Ganoom, on Flickr

During the process of installing the wing, I gave the back end of the car a quick detail. NHBP paint shows every swirl mark, blemish, and water spot.

IMG_4648 by Corey Ganoom, on Flickr

IMG_4649 by Corey Ganoom, on Flickr

·
typespilot
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Spring 2016.

I already purchased a RBC intake manifold from AFH K parts. I purchased the Karcepts adapter and a Hondata gasket. I cut the manifold to fit the K20Z1 engine last summer. I never got around to installing it in the fall. I purchased a CRV and did a tune up and the Holiday’s kept me busy. Wintertime made me hesitant to even start another project. I already contemplated selling the car. I already started to think about buying a S2000, and did not want to put any more time into the RSX. I decided to just finish what I started. I also replaced the radiator hoses with Samco ones.

Before:

IMG_5400 by Corey Ganoom, on Flickr

IMG_5403 by Corey Ganoom, on Flickr

After:

IMG_5468 by Corey Ganoom, on Flickr

IMG_5469 by Corey Ganoom, on Flickr

57F83C4C-FB0B-4D36-B872-B716213A8B19 by Corey Ganoom, on Flickr

The intake hose for the Mugen air box that connects to the throttle body was replaced with one from a S2000. Zach (MITeggy17) gave me the heads up about this because he fabricated this setup for his DC5.

IMG_5432 by Corey Ganoom, on Flickr

IMG_5433 by Corey Ganoom, on Flickr

A dremel or cutoff tool will assist with this. I went on mcmaster.com to buy stainless hose clamps to replace the ones for the OEM hose. I also had to pick up some grommets from mcmaster for the air temp sensor.

IMG_5459 by Corey Ganoom, on Flickr

IMG_5460 by Corey Ganoom, on Flickr

I had asked SHG Evan (SHG_EasyE) a bunch of questions regarding the sensor location from the factory vs relocation for aesthetics. He was kind enough to respond to this noob and give his opinion.

Dc5 videos by Corey Ganoom, on Flickr

·
typespilot
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
1 - 20 of 247 Posts