Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Extremely Over the Top
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started it the day before to pull it out of the garage to wash it, then pulled it back in. This morning I went to start it and it seemed like it caught for 1/2 second but didn't really start. I turned the key to start again and the pitch of the motor changed as if it had no compression. :confused: I broke a timing belt before on another car and know what no compression sounds like.

I tried to start again but same thing ..... it's like free wheeling, like the plugs are all pulled. The only thing I can think of is; since it was rainy the last time I started it, maybe the compression of the cold motor generated some water and it froze around the valves over night ? ( it is right around freezing this morning ).

I suddenly lost all compression on a 160,000 mile 1990 Civic that I had, but in that case I had to pull the head and have the valves reground to fix it. I am talking 5 pounds of compression per cylinder. I never did get an explaination why that happened. It happened again 5,000 later and I finally sold the car. :mad:

This is messed up!! There should be no reason a 50,000 mile car will leave you setting. There has got to be some simple explaination. :(

The other thing is, I have a Injen short ram intake on it.... I wonder if I should take it off before I call about the warranty. BTW how long is the powertrain warranty on the Acuras? :confused:

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
This is messed up!! There should be no reason a 50,000 mile car will leave you setting. There has got to be some simple explaination. :(

The other thing is, I have a Injen short ram intake on it.... I wonder if I should take it off before I call about the warranty. BTW how long is the powertrain warranty on the Acuras? :confused:
mine is up to 50,000 miles i think... but I paid to have it taken care of until 70,000 from the actual place I bought it from

·
Registered
210 Posts
i would defenitely take off the cai. ive heard of it not cancelling out your warranty but TRUST me. they will fight you over it. and after lawyer fees it wont be worth it.

·
Off That
236,573 Posts
Here's an idea:

Don't create a thread referring to your car losing all compression when you haven't even done a compression test to verify that assumption.

It will save you from looking like a fool when you realize it's something small and an easy fix

·
Breast inspector by appt.
9,225 Posts
A broken timing chain would be rare, more likely the chain tensioner or the chain guides are broken. Put your airbox back on for safety, but I doubt that it's still under warranty, my warranty is 4 years and some number of miles. Acura will know.

·
Extremely Over the Top
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's an idea:

Don't create a thread referring to your car losing all compression when you haven't even done a compression test to verify that assumption.

It will save you from looking like a fool when you realize it's something small and an easy fix

Whatever :rolleyes: .... I think you're late for school. I know what a motor cranking with no compression sounds like...... identical to the Civic I described.

·
Extremely Over the Top
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A broken timing chain would be rare, more likely the chain tensioner or the chain guides are broken. Put your airbox back on for safety, but I doubt that it's still under warranty, my warranty is 4 years and some number of miles. Acura will know.

Powertrain is 7 years. I'll have to replace the airbox and have it towed in. I do hope it's something simple. :(

The weird thing is, this is identical to what my Civic did and I did do a compression check. When they did a leakdown on the head they said all the valves were leaking and couldn't even pull a vacuum....... but yet I drove the car the day before it died and it ran perfect........ figure THAT one out ! :firemad:

I'll update later. :eek:

·
9,225 Posts
Could also be a camshaft snapped, or the VTC actuator could be toast. If the internal mechanism is broken and it won't lock anymore and just free-wheels, it won't turn the intake camshaft at all.

·
Extremely Over the Top
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Could also be a camshaft snapped, or the VTC actuator could be toast. If the internal mechanism is broken and it won't lock anymore and just free-wheels, it won't turn the intake camshaft at all.

I guess I'll take a closer look tonight. I could pop the valve cover off and see if I can tell anything. The thing that pisses me off is, I bought this car brand new because I was tired of all the problems with the 160K mile Civic. :(

I guess I should have bought a Toyota instead !! :idea: ..... I've never had probs with those.

·
Extremely Over the Top
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yup same thing happened to me.. my timing chain tensioner broke and i couldnt start it.. right around 50k miles too.
oh crap! that sucks :(

Did it hurt the valves at all ? :confused:

·
9,225 Posts
The most likely scenario is the tensioner failed and the chain jumped off of one of the cams right after the first 1/2 second when you tried to start it. Any valves that were wide open probably got slapped and bent by the piston, maybe one cylinder, maybe more.

·
Extremely Over the Top
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The most likely scenario is the tensioner failed and the chain jumped off of one of the cams right after the first 1/2 second when you tried to start it. Any valves that were wide open probably got slapped and bent by the piston, maybe one cylinder, maybe more.
hmm...

I guess I'll have to pull the cam cover and look :(

·
I can drive up your rsx
29,088 Posts
Even just that short second or so of cranking can cause that much potential damage?

·
Extremely Over the Top
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Even just that short second or so of cranking can cause that much potential damage?
I would hope not..... I didn't' hear any knock or banging of any kind, but maybe with the motor cranking you wouldn't.

Funny thing, I called acura and told the guy that the car sounded like all the plugs were pulled when it was cranking. The guy said to crank it with the gas pedal to the floor........ which in this case wouldn't be a good thing to do.

·
I can drive up your rsx
29,088 Posts
I would hope not..... I didn't' hear any knock or banging of any kind, but maybe with the motor cranking you wouldn't.

Funny thing, I called acura and told the guy that the car sounded like all the plugs were pulled when it was cranking. The guy said to crank it with the gas pedal to the floor........ which in this case wouldn't be a good thing to do.
lmfao, I hate Acura techs.......

1 - 20 of 38 Posts